Percy Harvin updates

wical34

My reality check bounced.
Thanks to Dr. Jene Bramel of footballguys.com

It's an early, speculative take, but I think it's 60-40 that Harvin elects to have surgery for his labral tear.

Harvin has always been involved and very knowledgeable about his medical situations (from migraines to serious ankle sprains). I think it's very likely that his second opinion will be with Dr. Marc Phillipon, who has often recommended surgical intervention for hip related conditions, including labral tears.

Most rehab protocols for hip arthroscopy suggest sport-specific activity can begin around 9-10 weeks after surgery and are open-ended after that. An elite athlete could accelerate that timeframe, but 3-4 months is probably the sweet spot of expectation if Harvin chooses surgery.

There are two optimistic counterpoints, however. Osi Umenyiora decided against a surgery recommendation from Philippon in 2010 and had a 13 sack season. Brandon Marshall has fought through hip impingement over the past two seasons and probably played -- and effectively -- through a labral tear for part of 2008. Whether Harvin's outcome will be as good if he chooses to wait to have surgery is difficult to say.

Expect to hear where and when Harvin will have his second opinion shortly. I don't think the decision on whether or not to have surgery immediately will be dragged out for long.

I'll have more on the Second Opinion blog on Friday, with updates when additional news breaks.

Last edited:

wical34

My reality check bounced.
ESPN's John Clayton stated on SportsCenterFriday that Percy Harvin (hip) still has a chance to play this season.

"Don't rule out the possibility that he might be able to play through this," stated Clayton. "It might be serious and might be something he could be able to play through. Depends on the second opinion." The second opinion will take place on Tuesday. Although Harvin still figures to miss all of training camp, there remains a slight chance he'll be back for Week 1. Stay tuned. Jul 26 - 1:23 PM

preeti222

If I was an owner, I'd definitely be concerned. He could miss the whole season if he gets surgery - 6 month recovery period.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Rice getting knee treatment in Switzerland, so he may not be the best option to replace Harvin.

Escrow

Forecasted to be back week 13....read an article about a nhl player whinhad the same surgery and was back on the ice, in game in 3 months....i say he is back by week 10

preeti222

this is brutal and we haven't even gotten to preseason games yet, there will be another 2-4 major injuries in fantasyland. Some would say this is a reminder to not go moving all of your depth for the perfect starting lineup in the offseason.