Pac-10 expansion

maverick824

The Big 10's only revenue advantage is its network, and the Pac-10 is going to have that within five years anyway. Plus, a Texas vs USC game every year is going to dwarf the 8 million the Big 10 is offering, even without the network contract.

LOL, sure it'd make money. So would Texas-OSU every year. So would Texas-Penn State.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Natl. titles last 25 years:

Football: Pac-10 3, Big Ten 3
Basketball: Big Ten 3, Pac-10 2
W. Basketball: Pac-10 2, Big Ten 1
Baseball: Pac-10 6, Big Ten 0
Let's just cut the list to what really means anything....and the only difference there is baseball......a sport you "conveniently" left off your list: Hockey, adds 13 men's championships and 5 women's championships....but listing water polo was important right :rolleyes:

Were just going to have to agree to disagree here. In the end it is all likely for nothing as I really do doubt that Texas leaves for either. In the end, if they are worried about the geographic fit....they are in the right spot, neither Pac-10 or Big 10 is a good fit. Travel would be a negative for both. As you point out, they already print money. It just comes down to if they want to try to leap to a whole different level. Going to either gives them that option. But in the end, I think they stay. If they do leave, my belief is it will be for the Big 10...you believe the Pac-10.....and neither of us are going to change our mind.

:cheers:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The Big 10's only revenue advantage is its network, and the Pac-10 is going to have that within five years anyway. Plus, a Texas vs USC game every year is going to dwarf the 8 million the Big 10 is offering, even without the network contract.
Actually the Network deals the Big Ten has are larger than the Pac-10's.

And where did you get that 8 mil number? Each team in the Big 10 last season evenly split the 242 million in TV revenue, which net out to 22 mil for each school! And adding Texas will greatly increase that 242 number and may push the per school figure to around 25-30 mil.

And as Mav pointed out, a Texas/USC game each year would be GREAT!! No doubt, but what other Texas vs ??? in the Pac-10 would be locked down as a Nat Televised game each year? In the Big 10, Texas/Ohio St, Texas/Penn St, and most years, Texas/Michigan would be big money nationally televised games each year. So that one Texas/USC game agrument loses a little steam when you look at the entire picture of marquee games.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Hockey, adds 13 men's championships and 5 women's championships....but listing water polo was important right :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, Minnesota & Wisconsin play in a different conference for hockey than Michigan, Michigan State, & Ohio State. So who is the Big Ten hockey champion?

Even when adding those #s, the Pac-10 still dwarfs the Big Ten in championships.

Were just going to have to agree to disagree here.

Translation: I Miller am going to ignore that avalanche of facts that just hit me.

In the end, if they are worried about the geographic fit....they are in the right spot, neither Pac-10 or Big 10 is a good fit. Travel would be a negative for both.

That's not true, I outline this out in another post. More direct flights from Austin to Pac-10 cities than Big 12 cities. Also Texas fits in fine geographically with the southern Pac-10 schools.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Translation: I Miller am going to ignore that avalanche of facts that just hit me.

That's not true, I outline this out in another post. More direct flights from Austin to Pac-10 cities than Big 12 cities. Also Texas fits in fine geographically with the southern Pac-10 schools.
No translation, it's like arguing with a damn brick wall that really believes water polo is relevant to this argument....

And no it is true, direct flights do not make it a geographic fit......they are not a geographic fit in either conference, if you want that, it's the SEC.

This one isn't hard, it's called looking at a map.....

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
And no it is true, direct flights do not make it a geographic fit......they are not a geographic fit in either conference, if you want that, it's the SEC.

This one isn't hard, it's called looking at a map.....

Austin culturally is more west coast than anything else. It is not a southern city. If you look at climate & culture, the southern Pac-10 teams fit the best. Culturally Denver, Seattle, Portland, & the Bay Area fit well too.

Direct flights make cheaper and easier travel for teams, staff, and fans. In the Pac-14, Texas fans could go on a ski vacation and catch the basketball team on the road. Seattle, SF Bay Area, LA, Phoenix, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Denver, & Austin are all major tourist destinations. San Diego, Las Vegas, Monterey Peninsula, the Pacific Coast, major ski resorts are all a short drive or easy flight away.

Ski vacation or Manhattan, KS? Oregon Coast or Champaign-Urbana? Scottsdale in January or Cedar Rapids in January? San Francisco or Starkville?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Austin culturally is more west coast than anything else. It is not a southern city. If you look at climate & culture, the southern Pac-10 teams fit the best. Culturally Denver, Seattle, Portland, & the Bay Area fit well too.

Direct flights make cheaper and easier travel for teams, staff, and fans. In the Pac-14, Texas fans could go on a ski vacation and catch the basketball team on the road. Seattle, SF Bay Area, LA, Phoenix, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Denver, & Austin are all major tourist destinations. San Diego, Las Vegas, Monterey Peninsula, the Pacific Coast, major ski resorts are all a short drive or easy flight away.

Ski vacation or Manhattan, KS? Oregon Coast or Champaign-Urbana? Scottsdale in January or Cedar Rapids in January? San Francisco or Starkville?
:biglaugh: you just kill me the straws you grab at.....Geographical fit....has nothing to do with the culture. just pull up a map and look, it's just not that hard. We are stalking about Geographic fit.

Again, direct flight do not make something geographical closer....just easier to get somewhere that in not geographically close.

And I really don't think Texas is going to pick a conference based on best vacation destinations, lol

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
:biglaugh: you just kill me the straws you grab at.....Geographical fit....has nothing to do with the culture. just pull up a map and look, it's just not that hard. We are stalking about Geographic fit.

Heed your own advice. Geographically, culturally, the Pac-10 is a better fit than the Big Ten or SEC. When you are looking at those maps, look at a climate map. Climate wise Austin is in the west, not south. Culturally it is more western than southern.

The SW is hot & dry. Tucson, Tempe, Los Angeles, Austin. The SE is hot, wet, & muggy. Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Columbia, Gainesville.

You don't have to look at a map, just compare the avg. monthly precipitation rates between Austin & Baton Rouge.

Again, direct flight do not make something geographical closer....just easier to get somewhere that in not geographically close.

Either it is easier to get to a place than another, or it is not. Since we are not dealing with busable mileage in any of these scenarios, we must compare ease & cost of flight. Texas can travel more easily in the Pac-14 than in the current Big 12. Think about that for a minute.

And I really don't think Texas is going to pick a conference based on best vacation destinations, lol

It is another thing to consider. W. Lafayette, Champaign-Urbana, State College, E. Lansing, Iowa City or Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Tempe (Scottsdale)? There is a stark contrast between the collection of Pac-10 cities with those in the Big Ten. Austin is more like the Pac-10 variety.