NOOOOO....Not Brett Favre!!!!

cctekguy

Staff member
That would be cheating, Miller.

...but he does hold the TD record and he did switch teams and win the NFC Championship, and he DID lead a lot of fantasy teams to championships and he hasn't won a lot of games lately....

But still...

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
no he did not.....but hell, I got Brett Favre brought up, next someone is going to toss up a Tebow thread and we'll be all set ;)

and no....he's not the secret player either.

What is the old man doing these days? The Cards could use him this year ;)

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Nope, Mr. Farve is not the secret player. That's the great thing about Miller's clues. They're perfectly true and you can ... well I'm not saying more. Great guess Tekie but.

cctekguy

Staff member
Resurrecting this 3yr old thread because I thought the title was appropriate for my ramblings.

Besides, it will remind us of the good old days when Miller used to post.

This is concerning Favre and his enshrinement into the Packers ring of honor.

Anyone have a problem with this? Obviously, there is no disputing his years of excellence as a Packer. This isn't about whether his play sufficiently qualifies him to be honored. Of course it does.

But treason is a serious offense in any venue and selfishness is among the most hideous of human traits. I find him guilty of both.

He was asked to step aside and let the younger QB take over. A bitter pill for a Hall Of Fame QB, no doubt. His options were to be a man, step aside, and find other ways to help the team. Retire. Or do what he did and desert, join another team and try to prove a point making it very clear that he was out to get the Packers by ultimately joining their division rivals and thumbing his nose at the Green Bay Packers.

His personal vendetta was successful. The Vikings won the division in 2009 under Favre leaving Green Bay with egg on their face.

So YAY! Brett you did it!

But to me, there is a cost for putting one's personal agenda over that of the team and that is the loss of honor within the organization.

Joe Montana ended his career with the Chiefs but he did NOTHING to disassociate himself with SF. He simply decided to UnRetire.

What about Peyton? Should he be honored by the Colts?

I dunno, Maybe the Packers lacked integrity in the whole fiasco too but I've rarely seen the Packers lack integrity.

I guess the part that made me most want to puke is when he thanked the Green Bay fans. The fans he betrayed. The fans that booed him as a Viking.

But they all seemed to love him again on Thursday.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Hmmmm.... Someone who still had skills to perform and someone who still had someone willing to pay him for those skills.....

A team who did not want that person.... But felt they had the right to control who else he worked for... Despite not wanting him anymore.....

How exactly did Farve commit treason or selfishness? He wanted to continue to work and there was employers still willing to give him a job!

Isn't this America where you are free to be paid for your talents? Treason.... Your freaking joking right?

The Packers dealt with this poorly from the start. I am glad Farve has let it go and embraced the city that he gave much to and gave him so much in return! Thursday night was a great night for the NFL.

Last edited:

cctekguy

Staff member
I guess, Miller, it depends on how much one values commitment. Brett had a job in Green Bay for as long as he wanted, it just wasn't as starting QB and I'm sure it wasn't at starting QB pay.

I have no problem with his choice to continue starting at QB for another team. Nothing immoral or even unusual about it. Probably closer to the norm. But by definition, it is Selfish. There can be no argument about that. He chose his own desires and needs over the desires and needs of the team. No big deal, guys do it all the time. Sometimes being unselfish just gets you screwed over.

Just don't think he should be in the Packers ring of honor.

bodey24

Staff member
I guess, Miller, it depends on how much one values commitment. Brett had a job in Green Bay for as long as he wanted, it just wasn't as starting QB and I'm sure it wasn't at starting QB pay.

I have no problem with his choice to continue starting at QB for another team. Nothing immoral or even unusual about it. Probably closer to the norm. But by definition, it is Selfish. There can be no argument about that. He chose his own desires and needs over the desires and needs of the team. No big deal, guys do it all the time. Sometimes being unselfish just gets you screwed over.

Just don't think he should be in the Packers ring of honor.
Why would anyone put an organizations desires ahead of their own when the organization would never do that for the player. In a league where most players are retired by the age of 40 you need to maximize the amount of money you make because once you are done the organization doesn't care about you.

cctekguy

Staff member
Why would anyone put an organizations desires ahead of their own when the organization would never do that for the player.

Oh, I don't know. Fans, the City, your home for the last 15 years, the sense of belonging.

In a league where most players are retired by the age of 40 you need to maximize the amount of money you make because once you are done the organization doesn't care about you.

Yeah, I see your point. After 15 years of making more per year than most will make in a lifetime, I can see where a professional athlete may need to make an extra 60 mil before they retire.
...Instead of the 8 mil they would have made as a back up. Who can live on THAT?

Besides, What is Brett doing now? A few stupid commercials? He could have had a decent gig in the Packers organization well into his 60s. (Yes, organizations WILL do that for you).

bodey24

Staff member
Oh, I don't know. Fans, the City, your home for the last 15 years, the sense of belonging.

Yeah, I see your point. After 15 years of making more per year than most will make in a lifetime, I can see where a professional athlete may need to make an extra 60 mil before they retire.
...Instead of the 8 mil they would have made as a back up. Who can live on THAT?

Besides, What is Brett doing now? A few stupid commercials? He could have had a decent gig in the Packers organization well into his 60s. (Yes, organizations WILL do that for you).
Haha easy to rip on the guy from where you are sitting. However, I would put money on if you or any other person were in his shoes we would have done the same thing. Why would anyone settle for making $1 million if that per year being a backup or qb coach when you can go play some more and make $8 million per year? That is all money he can pass down to his kids/grandkids etc so I have no issue with him getting what he can. In the end this is a business so the employees have to do what's best for them just like the organization will do what's best for them. I would also be willing to bet he could still get a job with the packers until he's well into his 60's.

cctekguy

Staff member
At no point am I ripping the guy. We all do what we think is best.

But you don't get a gold watch for working for a company when you leave and go to work for someone else. They don't mail it to you and invite you to "Joe Blow Day" because you USED to be a good employee.

You lose all that. No more recognition, no more awards, no more plaques to hang on your wall....It's over. Doesn't matter HOW good an employee you were.

And if you leave for higher wages...that's great. But any awards you earn from there on out should be given by the new employer. If you haven't been there long enough to earn any, then you don't get any. AT ALL.

That's how the real world works, anyway.

Now if Green Bay made a lot of money by adding him to the ring, and if Brett made a lot of money by accepting, and if the fans are dumb enough to fall for it, then by all means....ADD HIM TO THE RING! but they should call it the Ring Of Profit, or the Ring Of Dollars because "Honor" has no place in it.

bodey24

Staff member
At no point am I ripping the guy. We all do what we think is best.

But you don't get a gold watch for working for a company when you leave and go to work for someone else. They don't mail it to you and invite you to "Joe Blow Day" because you USED to be a good employee.

You lose all that. No more recognition, no more awards, no more plaques to hang on your wall....It's over. Doesn't matter HOW good an employee you were.

And if you leave for higher wages...that's great. But any awards you earn from there on out should be given by the new employer. If you haven't been there long enough to earn any, then you don't get any. AT ALL.

That's how the real world works, anyway.

Now if Green Bay made a lot of money by adding him to the ring, and if Brett made a lot of money by accepting, and if the fans are dumb enough to fall for it, then by all means....ADD HIM TO THE RING! but they should call it the Ring Of Profit, or the Ring Of Dollars because "Honor" has no place in it.
The organization is going to do what makes them the most money so why is it wrong when one of its employees decides to do the same? If I work my ass off for a company for 20 years and they decide they want to demote me and pay me less money how is it betrayal when I take a job for a different company making more money and doing what i love to do? I could care less about recognition or a plaque I could get I want to make as much money as possible in my lifetime to provide as much as I can for my kids/grandkids etc. Being loyal to a company that will stab you in the back in a heartbeat if it benefits them makes zero sense to me.

cctekguy

Staff member
Contrary to what you might think, this is not a disagreement.

We are on exactly the same page.

So when this company that wanted to demote you and cut your pay called you 10 years after the fact and said they wanted to honor you at a banquet, would you go?

Would any company in their right mind ever HAVE such a ceremony?

Now had you stayed and taken the demotion with full understanding that it was the best thing for the company, and taken your pay cut because you realized that money was no longer an issue in your life, THEN I could see such a ceremony taking place.

But you didn't like the idea of being demoted and you wanted to make more money...not less. THAT'S FINE. LOVE YOU. DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO.

But I (the company) would not schedule any ceremony and I (the employee) would not attend if they did!

Remote Controller

But you didn't like the idea of being demoted and you wanted to make more money...not less. THAT'S FINE. LOVE YOU. DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO.
Not only did he not like the idea of being demoted, he decided to prove it in the cage and leave no doubt in their minds what actually went down. It was priceless Favre. Now .......instead of taking an organizational job, he opted to help high school kids and have time for his tree stand. This is the making of a second legend. Favre on the field, and Favre off of it. I like him more because of everything he's done since being a Packer than I even did as I idolized him as a player. Dude does things his way.

Remote Controller

Basically he broke one off somewhere in Thompson's body (imagination takes off right about here), and allowed him to enjoy it for awhile. He (Favre) did nothing to the Packer nation other than entertain us again. Lambeau needed Favre in its Hallowed Hall, more than Thompson deserved to help install him there .....after he had an item surgically removed. He just let Thompson savor that for awhile..