NFL Rumors, News and in/out - NFL owners meeting pre-draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well lets see.... lets say updates since the Lamar Jackson tweet about wanting to be traded... :D

IND - owner Jim Irsay is all for Lamar, as far as money goes, but he personally does not agree with fully guaranteed contracts, nor is he thrilled with the loss of 2 first round picks. - but Colts are thinking about it.
MIA - HC once again stated they are NOT going after Lamar - folks have to get warm with the idea they for now are committed to Tua
CIN - signed FA TE Irv Smith Jr
GB/NYJ - stories out now that talks are getting more productive, there were reports out yesterday that the Packers are no longer demanding a 1st round pick for Aaron.
IND - Jim Irsay was also talkative about Commanders owner Daniel Snyder, stating things should be cleared up by no later than Oct. 2023 - one way or another he will sell or be kicked out by other owners. His lack of cooperation in the internal investigations is a huge issue for the league.
NYG - still trying to get Saquon Barkley to sign a long term deal
LVR - HC stated the team could take a QB in this draft if the player is there they want, and that with no back up on the team, a rookie could be a great fit
WAS - Still mulling on the 5th year option for DL Chase Young
DAL - stated they are still hoping to get Zeke back for next year
LAR - resigned DL Marquise Copeland
NE - per the owner Robert Kraft, another non-sanctioned agent Meek Mill has been texting him stating Lamar Jackson would like to play for the Patriots - he stated he told the person that was a Bill Belichick decision.
ATL - signed DL Joe Gaziano

hikeNbike

Patriots are one team I'm lukewarm on acquiring Lamar. On the one hand they have a very good defense and a hall of fame coach, on the other their Cam experiment went so poorly. Granted Cam was on the downside of his career, but a run first QB doesn't seem like an ideal fit for the Patriots offense. And the receivers aren't any better than his current situation in Baltimore. Unless they have something in mind for Hopkins or the draft, but seems like Lamar would require too much draft capital to upgrade the offense with either a free agent or to get a top receiver in the draft.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Patriots are one team I'm lukewarm on acquiring Lamar. On the one hand they have a very good defense and a hall of fame coach, on the other their Cam experiment went so poorly. Granted Cam was on the downside of his career, but a run first QB doesn't seem like an ideal fit for the Patriots offense. And the receivers aren't any better than his current situation in Baltimore. Unless they have something in mind for Hopkins or the draft, but seems like Lamar would require too much draft capital to upgrade the offense with either a free agent or to get a top receiver in the draft.
I don't disagree.
Offense will change this year though with a real OC in the role with O'Brien. That being said, I keep hearing rumors they are not thrilled with Mac Jones at QB, and not sold on Zappe either.

I still don't see the Patriots though spending a ton on a RFA and losing two first round picks either. Just me.

Phicinfan

Administrator
LAR - per HC, Stafford will have no limitations in off season work
WAS - per reports on PFT - Josh Harris and his group have formally filed a $6 Billion offer for the Commanders'

hikeNbike

Where do we put the Saints on the list of Super Bowl Contenders now that they have reconstructed the Derek Carr to Bryan Edwards connection?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Where do we put the Saints on the list of Super Bowl Contenders now that they have reconstructed the Derek Carr to Bryan Edwards connection?
Their defense is solid, and Carr is better than Winston and Dalton. IF Olave can repeat, and Michael Thomas can come back, they are pretty darn good. With almost no competition in the South. I would put them over Tampa and Baker as well as Atlanta and Ridder. Even if Carolina gets a great rookie QB, I think there will be growing pains. So Playoffs for Saints is doable IMO

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFL - owners have voted down the proposal to move placement of the ball on the 25 instead of the 20 on a punt touchback., they have tabled a motion to move placement of the ball on the 25 for any fair catch inside the 25 yard line - as NCAA does now.
NFL - owners approved the use of the number "0" on uniforms for any player other than OL and DL
GB - Matt LaFleur back tracking on readiness of Jordan Love - basically said we should temper our expectations...hmmmmm

Remote Controller

Their defense is solid, and Carr is better than Winston and Dalton. IF Olave can repeat, and Michael Thomas can come back, they are pretty darn good. With almost no competition in the South. I would put them over Tampa and Baker as well as Atlanta and Ridder. Even if Carolina gets a great rookie QB, I think there will be growing pains. So Playoffs for Saints is doable IMO
With the state of Kamara's legal woe's the Jamaal Williams addition was smart.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFL- owners vote down making roughing the passer reviewable
NFL - owners table vote for making 4 and 20 a viable option vs. onside kick

Phicinfan

Administrator
WAS - Daniel Snyder has a second bid for his team for $6 billion. Canadian Billionaire Steve Apostolopoulos

hikeNbike

Maybe we should put in a bid. We could all pool our money. I can throw in $100. Up to you guys for the other $5,999,999,900.

Phicinfan

Administrator
LVR - sign FA WR DeAndre Carter
NFL - allows for teams to play more than one Thursday night game on short weeks
SEA - HC Carroll says Jamal Adams is pushing to be ready week 1
NFL - allowing sports books in stadiums to stay open on game days
ATL - signs WR Scotty Miller to one year deal
CAR - DJ Chark has surgery to correct issues in his foot and ankle. Team expects this will allow for Chark to be fully healthy
TB - resigns DT Deadrin Senat
TB - signs K Chase McLaughlin
LAC - some confusion if Justin Herbert will be allowed to work in off season and or when after shoulder surgery
OBJ - at owners meetings meeting with teams
NFL - approves move to ONE cut day for pre-season. So rosters will go from 90 to 53 on the Tuesday post the last pre-season game
NFL - table the 3rd QB rule for now
NFL - competition committee expected to pass fair catch proposal in May - this is any fair catch inside the 25 places ball at 25 instead of at the 20.
NFL - tabled the 4th and 20 option for now, may bring back up in May

Last edited:

hikeNbike

More than one Thursday game? I thought they said they were about safety. By the way I hate the Thursday games. I guess the idea is they will flex good matchups in on Thursday so they don't have two terrible teams playing, but I also think a big part of why the football was terrible is the short week where players haven't recovered and coaches don't have time to implement a good game plan.

Also table the third QB rule? As much money as the NFL makes couldn't they expand the roster by one player to add a third active QB. At least for the playoffs. Was brutal to have an NFC championship game where one team had no QB.

I thought DJ Chark signed with Carolina?

Phicinfan

Administrator
First, yes Hike - Chark signed with Carolina, I need to stop trying to type so fast and will fix the mistake. My bad.
More fall out from NFL owners meetings:

NFL - expect an international division in a soon as 2 years or potentially as long a 5 years
BAL - it is rumored that the Ravens attempted to sign Baker Mayfield - ooooppppssssss
CLE - Team is expecting Watson to be more in control of offense this year and improve - they better hope so.....
CIN - Katie Blackburn(Mike Brown's daughter and future heir of the team) stated anything could happen with Mixon - and with no Perrine there, the RB room is a bit tight, also stated team is working toward an extension of Joe Burrow that hopefully makes both sides happy....
WAS - the current President, HC and GM all have said they expect team sold soon - and all hope they get to keep their jobs...
DAL - resigns DT Johnathan Hankins to a one year deal
DET - signed Marvin Jones WR to a one year deal
LVR - resigns OL Alex Bars
BUF - resigning DT Jordan Phillips
NE - Patriots per report have no interest in Lamar Jackson

Phicinfan

Administrator
WAS - RG3 is in talks to join the Josh Harris bid to purchase the Commanders from Daniel Snyder
NYG/NYJ - changing turf at Metlife stadium

Phicinfan

Administrator
NE - some rumors flying that Patriots may want to move to Zappe at QB
PIT - sign FA S Keanu Neal, FA DT Breiden Fehoko, one rumor also has them signing Bud Dupree as well
CHI - resigning QB Nathan Peterman
PHI - signing FA DT Kentavius Street
ARI - signs CB Rashad Fenton