NFL Rumors, News and in/out - NFL owners meeting pre-draft

efactor

Coming at you
Please god no :mad:

Rodgers already said he wouldn't go to SF. Still mad they took Alex Smith over him. Well, join the crowd. Dumbest thing ever and evidence that fans sometimes know more than GMs (Yes, I wanted the Cal kid who played in a pro offense vs the less talented guy in a gimmick offense).

The one way it makes sense is that SF is not sure about when and if Purdy plays this season. The team is set to make a super bowl run and while I like Lance, winning 3 playoff games with him seems a pretty big reach. Trade for Rodgers and let him play a couple years to try to win a ring or two and then he rides off into the darkness and Purdy has had time to recover.

hikeNbike

What's the bigger issue with teams and Lamar is it the first round picks they have to give back or the contract? If they knew they could sign him to say a Pat Mahomes or Josh Allen type deal where it's a lot of cash but has some flexibility would teams give up the picks? Seems like Lamar is worth two first rounders. I still say San Francisco would be a lot of fun for Lamar. With Shanahans creative running schemes and full of weapons like they are they would steam roll teams. Of course Lamar has to stay healthy.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
SEA - HC stated the team has a ton of holes to fill on defense and cap is tight, so draft focus may be more on the D side of the ball
LAC - Ekeler really ticked at the Chargers - he stated he keeps increasing stats and hits new heights but team has said no extension is coming, he has this and next year on his deal. So far no team has stepped up to trade for him either.
DEN - John Elway is no longer a part of Bronco's head office. His contract expired on start of league year

hikeNbike

Where are you guys taking Bijan in your fantasy drafts. Is taking Bijan in the first round a stretch without yet knowing the team he will play for?

Phicinfan

Administrator
What's the bigger issue with teams and Lamar is it the first round picks they have to give back or the contract? If they knew they could sign him to say a Pat Mahomes or Josh Allen type deal where it's a lot of cash but has some flexibility would teams give up the picks? Seems like Lamar is worth two first rounders. I still say San Francisco would be a lot of fun for Lamar. With Shanahans creative running schemes and full of weapons like they are they would steam roll teams. Of course Lamar has to stay healthy.
Its not that simply Hike. You not ONLY need to be willing to deal 2 first round picks, but you also have to spike the deal price high enough that Baltimore can't or won't match. So you have to over pay, or over guarantee $$$ as well as lose 2 picks. The bigger concern to me for Baltimore is the fact that no one knows if Jackson will still play for them or hold out

hikeNbike

Should clarify early redraft not a start up dynasty league or rookie draft. Feel like he is a easy first rounder in a startup dynasty league.

Phicinfan

Administrator
CAR - some rumors out that Panthers may be pivoting to Bryce Young instead of Stroud
MIN/SF - per PFT, there were rumors at the combine about a potential trade of Kirk Cousins to the Niners.
TB - signing FA S Ryan Neal
ARI - signing FA OL Elijah Wilkinson
ARI - the team has responded to the charges filed by former exec Terry McDonough. And it is basically a personal attack on McDonough. Which just doesn't make sense, and it also in part admits there ARE burner phones the team purchased to use in the one allegation by McDonough. This team can't get out of its own way some times.

hikeNbike

Its not that simply Hike. You not ONLY need to be willing to deal 2 first round picks, but you also have to spike the deal price high enough that Baltimore can't or won't match. So you have to over pay, or over guarantee $$$ as well as lose 2 picks. The bigger concern to me for Baltimore is the fact that no one knows if Jackson will still play for them or hold out
Well I agree Baltimore is in for a tough year. Harbaugh is a good coach but it's going to take a lot to win some games. Maybe better off not and taking Williams from USC on the 2024 draft or get Brady out of retirement.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Should clarify early redraft not a start up dynasty league or rookie draft. Feel like he is a easy first rounder in a startup dynasty league.
Oh, that is a good question. Gonna have to say that depends on your league and scoring. In PPR, and in leagues that mandate Rbs(2 or more) I would still take him later first round probably. High Second at least. Just me though

Phicinfan

Administrator
SEA - signing FA WR Cody Thompson
TEN - OL Aaron Brewer signed his tender
JAC - signed FA OL Josh Wells
BUF - team has reached full agreement with local and state gov'ts for new stadium to be built
LVR - has hired Danny Amendola as a coach

hikeNbike

CAR - some rumors out that Panthers may be pivoting to Bryce Young instead of Stroud
MIN/SF - per PFT, there were rumors at the combine about a potential trade of Kirk Cousins to the Niners.
TB - signing FA S Ryan Neal
ARI - signing FA OL Elijah Wilkinson
ARI - the team has responded to the charges filed by former exec Terry McDonough. And it is basically a personal attack on McDonough. Which just doesn't make sense, and it also in part admits there ARE burner phones the team purchased to use in the one allegation by McDonough. This team can't get out of its own way some times.
Carolina with a smoke screen. I find it funny that a team has the #1 pick, traded up to get it, no less, and yet they still put out all kinds of mixed signals to throw off the teams behind them.

I think the Niners have soured on Lance. Too many indications under the radar. A trade for Cousins is just the latest. Cousins has a pretty big contract without any playoff success.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Carolina with a smoke screen. I find it funny that a team has the #1 pick, traded up to get it, no less, and yet they still put out all kinds of mixed signals to throw off the teams behind them.
To me this is due diligence. I believe they like both Stroud and Young. So they are doing the deep work to make sure they get who they really want. It isn't unusual for teams to have some for one or the other at draft time, but note nothing from owner or GM has been stated. Keeping things close to the vest is my guess.
I think the Niners have soured on Lance. Too many indications under the radar. A trade for Cousins is just the latest. Cousins has a pretty big contract without any playoff success.
Does seem to be that way. But I think the reality is they are very close to Super bowl bound. The right QB can make it happen. Lance needs more development, and you don't win games developing a QB. So looking for a really dependable vet to cover until Purdy is fully healthy is a smart move. But I wonder at some point when does Lance just say screw you.

Remote Controller

It's simply that he will accept nothing but a fully guaranteed contract bigger than Watson's.

hikeNbike

I think he is better than Watson but of course doesn't mean he will get a fully guaranteed deal, because it feels as if only the Browns were willing to do it, though I do wonder if Burrow holds out for a fully guaranteed deal how that will go. Bengals seem to be turning things around with overall image but I do find it a stretch to see them offering a fully guaranteed deal. Then again it's Joe Burrow we are talking about here. It feels like he is a guy you absolutely can't lose.

Remote Controller

I think he is better than Watson but of course doesn't mean he will get a fully guaranteed deal, because it feels as if only the Browns were willing to do it, though I do wonder if Burrow holds out for a fully guaranteed deal how that will go. Bengals seem to be turning things around with overall image but I do find it a stretch to see them offering a fully guaranteed deal. Then again it's Joe Burrow we are talking about here. It feels like he is a guy you absolutely can't lose.
I feel Burrow will follow in the foot steps of Mahomes and do the long cap friendly big money deal, that gives his team options.

Phicinfan

Administrator
ARI - per reports the Lawyer for McDonough is calling foul on Cardinals, and is looking forward to the arbitration hearing with NFL. I will add it has now been reported at PFT, that the Steve Wilks lawsuit calls out there is evidence the team was working with Keim while he was on suspension.

Phicinfan

Administrator
WAS - evidently this isn't set yet on sale, Jeff Bezos was in communication with Snyder and is still possibly in play. Snyder already has 2 $6 Billion dollar offers from other interests. But some think Bezos may come in at $250 million higher to lock the deal

Phicinfan

Administrator
BAL - Ravens GM DeCosta admits drafting a QB in round one is under consideration

hikeNbike

I feel Burrow will follow in the foot steps of Mahomes and do the long cap friendly big money deal, that gives his team options.
Do we know that or has there been any indication or is that just you're feeling. I haven't seen anything definitive saying they know he will take a team friendly deal.