Most likely 2009 busts

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Before you just throw out a few of these players as complete busts, just take a stroll down memory lane from only one season ago. According to ESPN, here were the top three 1st round picks most likely to bust:

46.3% - No. 3 - QB Matt Ryan (Atlanta Falcons)
39.5% - No. 18 - QB Joe Flacco (Baltimore Ravens)
37.0% - No. 24 - RB Chris Johnson (Tennessee Titans)

.... OOPS!

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
ESPN's top 5 most likely busts (translation: america hates QBs and fast WRs):

70.4% No. 7 - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Oakland Raiders)
50.0% No. 1 - QB Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions)
45.7% No. 17 - QB Josh Freeman (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
31.8% No. 22 - WR Percy Harvin (Minnesota Vikings)
31.5% No. 5 - QB Mark Sanchez (New York Jets)

ESPN's top 5 safest picks (translation: america knows nothing about O linemen):

2.8% No. 4 - OLB Aaron Curry (Seattle Seahawks)
3.5% No. 8 - OT Eugene Monroe (Jacksonville Jaguars)
3.6% No. 2 - OT Jason Smith (St. Louis Rams)
4.0% No. 23 - OT Michael Oher (Baltimore Ravens)
6.5% No. 21 - C Alex Mack (Cleveland Browns)

I liked Ryan last year but never expected the type of season he had though. I fell into the group of questioning Flacco. Keep waiting for Mason to drop off and leave the team w/o much at that WR position. I was on Johnson's bandwagon but must admit I got him in one league because of where I was drafting not because I selected him ahead of others.

QB: Sanchez: No one expects Stafford or Freeman to make dramatic changes right away but I think they will in NY. If he is rushed into service he strikes me as the most fragile of the top 3 (after that in this years draft I don't really think the others can be busts on the same level as the top 3)

RB: Shonn Greene: Like the guy and think long-term he will do ok. People thinking he is going to come in and be anointed Jones replacement I think will be disappointed. I suspect Thomas Jones is going to play with a chip on his shoulder again and keep Greene’s initial touches down.

WR: Kenny Britt: Nothing against the guy but Tenn has had marginal WR’s for so long I’m automatically suspicious of any rookie coming in and making a sudden impact. My impression is that he will succeed as a teams #2 but not seeing him have the type of success expected for a 1st round pick as the primary receiving weapon.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Not a big fan of throwing around the bust label until at least year 3 after a draft. Historically QB's and WR's take a little more time to develop as we all know, and some guys just have a light bulb that takes a little longer to turn on.
Glenn Dorsey already has that stigma around him after his rookie year, when that team had absolute crap around him on defense. Just because a guy isn't an automatic savior doesn't make him a failure.

jmsmith1

WR Darrius Heyward-Bey is going to fall apart in Oakland. Yet another Al Davis wonder pick. Can anyone say Robert Gallery at WR?

Matthew Stafford could potentially do okay if the Lions had a line and a defense. Oh yeah..they didnt draft a left tackle....DOH!!!

Josh Freeman will end up being the next Patrick Ramsay.

Chris Beanie Wells will not make a full season in his first 3 years. Mark it down. He's not mentally tough enough to survive injury in 12 college games, how is gonna survive 16 pro games where they are faster and hit harder?

ExperiencedRookie

for the record, guilty as charged, on all three of them really.

Yeah I do remember you being very anti-Chris Johnson.

I think there was a lot of pre-season man love being lobbed Chris Johnson's way, and you were the one person preaching that he was a nobody.

Glad you can admit when you're wrong Bomb. Not only that, but you brought it up.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Chris Beanie Wells will not make a full season in his first 3 years. Mark it down. He's not mentally tough enough to survive injury in 12 college games, how is gonna survive 16 pro games where they are faster and hit harder?

Plenty of rumblings about Beanie as far as him not playing through minor injuries to protect his draft stock. How will he survive 16 games? By making a sh*t-ton more cash than he ever made at Ohio State, that's how. And are they really all that faster and harder hitting than what he dealt with in practice and games each week? Last I checked, OSU and the rest of the Big-10 had a tidy amount of defenders drafted, so he'll ultimately be running against those guys anyway.
Forced to respectably disagree with you, JM.. at least on that Wells prediction.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I'll throw Orakpo into the mix. Nothing just against him, just a vote of no confidence in the Washington Redskins.

Dont make me tell the police you tripped on your shoes and hit your mouth on the doorknob. Again. :keepitstrong:

Rack will do just fine. I think the Skins defense will be pretty good. The offense wont do crap and they will flounder to 8-8 again, but Romo and Manning will learn the name Orakpo.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Have to agree with the obvious homer opinion on Orakpo. (LOL)

I don't believe I saw a mock that had him lower than 10 overall. The Bills should've taken him over Maybin (who I actually like, BTW), and the 'Skins somewhat inept front office wound up with a steal that makes them appear much more shrewd than they really are.
Pencil him in for 10+ sacks this year.

ExperiencedRookie

Washington's pick was literally the fastest pick of the NFL. Not 2 seconds had past after Denver selected Moreno than the Skins had their pick in.

It was almost like if they didn't select him immediately, Denver could change their pick.

If Denver hadn't taken Moreno, where would he have wound up?

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Probably San Diego at 16, regardless of what they would claim. Or Denver with their other 2nd rounder at 18.
I don't understand why Denver didn't take Orakpo at 12. He's so much better than Ayers and they could've just stuck with defense later or taken Wells if Moreno didn't make it to them. RB just didn't strike me as a glaring need for the Broncos since they have a decent stable already and McDaniels didn't exactly feature one in his NE offense.

ExperiencedRookie

I watched the draft with a Denver fan, and he whinced when he heard Moreno's name called. He was 100% that they would draft Orakpo, and would be getting a steal as well.

The sexy RB picked grew on him though, as he envisioned Moreno having a Forte like season next year.

We'll see if that vision comes true.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Yeah I do remember you being very anti-Chris Johnson.

I think there was a lot of pre-season man love being lobbed Chris Johnson's way, and you were the one person preaching that he was a nobody.

Glad you can admit when you're wrong Bomb. Not only that, but you brought it up.

hey when youre wrong, youre wrong. cant win em all. i couldnt believe the guy looked like a 3rd or 4th round pick and somehow got taken in the 1st, and he looked every bit the part of a workout warrior straight line runner. nothing or no one could possibly have convinced me otherwise than to see how tennessee actually used him this year. i still dont think hes an amazing back, but he is perfect for how they use him. more and more nfl teams are learning to build systems around talent, not plug talent into systems. theyre the ones doing all the winning of late.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
for the record, guilty as charged, on all three of them really.
I was right there with ya on all 3....

DHB will be a mess in Oakland
Freeman.....will put the YUCK back in the Bucs!
Aaron Maybin, not backing down from this one either, he just isn't ready and don't see him developing into anything.

ExperiencedRookie

hey when youre wrong, youre wrong. cant win em all. i couldnt believe the guy looked like a 3rd or 4th round pick and somehow got taken in the 1st, and he looked every bit the part of a workout warrior straight line runner. nothing or no one could possibly have convinced me otherwise than to see how tennessee actually used him this year. i still dont think hes an amazing back, but he is perfect for how they use him. more and more nfl teams are learning to build systems around talent, not plug talent into systems. theyre the ones doing all the winning of late.

You just gained cool points dude.