Most important positions

Dallas Iowa

Cowboy fan
Just curious what everybody's opinion is on the 4 most important positions in football. Obviously QB is there but where would you go after that to build a NFL team? For me it's L. Tackle, a dominant pass rusher, and I'm going back and forth on safety or corner.
Posted via Mobile Device

cctekguy

Staff member
Lay out a standard X's and O's line-up on a piece of paper, then draw a line down the center of the paper.

The closer to the line a position is, the more important it is.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Lay out a standard X's and O's line-up on a piece of paper, then draw a line down the center of the paper.

The closer to the line a position is, the more important it is.

So.....

C
QB
OG
RB
DT
MLB

OG's more important than OT's??

Your theory is common, but usually something I hear more from HS coaches. It is more the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.

cctekguy

Staff member
It's a generalization but it's pretty dang close.

Think of it this way.

Would you rather play without your guards or without your tackles?

Both would be devastating but that gaping hole between your center and tackle would be worse than letting the DE run free.

A clearer definition of "important" might be in order.

I agree you want your better athletes at tackle but that wasn't the question.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
the question was what positions would you start with if you were building an NFL team. You obviously going to have someone in that spot so to say just take them away doesn't seem relevant.

If it is me, I am far more worried about my LT who protects my QB than I am my OG who has help on both sides of him. I can hide the deficiencies of a poor OG much easier than I can hide the deficiencies of a poor LT. Not worried about who the better athlete is at all, just worried about what position is ultimately more important to accomplishing what I would want to accomplish.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
First I agree you need a Qb.

But keys to win are:
OT to keep said Qb up.
DE to keep other said Qb down
Cb to catch what the DE forces
Rb to take pressure of Qb.

bobbeaux

a pretty good wr has to be at least considered . . . qb, lt i can agree with . . . de? . . . mlb is pretty damn important, i think although i would have to agree a pash rush is key to making all the other parts work more effectively . . . so, ok . . . i'll go qb, lt, de . . . that 4th position . . . hmmm . . . the colts have done awful well without a secondary . . . just sayin

Dallas Iowa

Cowboy fan
I see what your saying about the Colts doing pretty well without a secondary but look at the super bowl year, the year they won, and that defense was down right terrible until the playoffs when stud, often injured, Bob Sanders comes back they shut everybody down. I am starting to believe that a freak at safety is starting to become as important as a stud pass rusher. Look at Denver last year they get Dawkins from the Eagles and that was a good defense, Saints they grab Sharper turnover machine. Polamalu goes out for the Steelers that defense is a shell of it's former self. Ed Reed gets hurt and Baltimore just isn't dominant anymore, still good but not scary. I wrote something about this last year and I'm sticking to my guns a stud safety can make an average defense really really good. But that's just my opinion.

bobbeaux

yeah . . . i hear ya, there . . . pollard to the texans made a hell of a difference.

however, mlb and de were already covered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
GREAT topic here! Dallas Iowa is a million vb's richer. Hope ya have some fun on our vbookie bets this football season with them.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
the question was what positions would you start with if you were building an NFL team. You obviously going to have someone in that spot so to say just take them away doesn't seem relevant.

If it is me, I am far more worried about my LT who protects my QB than I am my OG who has help on both sides of him. I can hide the deficiencies of a poor OG much easier than I can hide the deficiencies of a poor LT. Not worried about who the better athlete is at all, just worried about what position is ultimately more important to accomplishing what I would want to accomplish.

I can see your point on this one. I got moved from RG to RT my junior year because we had a left handed QB and I could protect his blindside better than the oaf we had manning that spot.

And no..I didnt give up a sack lol.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
For me playing on the lines Id say

QB
Blindside OT
DT/NG
DE

We've covered the QB/OL thing already. From a defensive perspective you cant do ANYTHING on D without quality on the defensive line to free up your LBs and DBs to make plays.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
after re-reading and thinking a bit, i say qb, lt, de and mlb
I also have changed my mind as well. I will say though the OT has to be the blind side OT as Sarge pointed out. So it could be ROT if the Qb is left handed.

Runnik's Hambones

I think I'm completely with Miller on this one. If you have an exceptional OL, exceptional DL, and a QB that can count to 10, you can win a championship.

Run well, defend well.

C

conan35

A great QB can fly this bird, and yes a pretty good WR should be considered, but not at the top of the list. You control the line on both sides of the ball and you control half the game.
The blindside OT, will anchor the offensive side, a strong DE will create havoc on the defensive side. A shut down CB will close down one side of the defensive backfield, which allows you to roll coverage to the otherside.
QB
blindside OT
DE
CB
In this order is how I would start building my team.