Mort is reporting the Pats plan to Franchise Tag Matt Cassell

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Mort just reported that the Pats are planning to use the FT on Cassell and have room under the cap to do so. This gives them a couple options, one keep him this year if things are not going well with Brady; or if they are going well, trade him.

SC#20

Dominator!
Not that this would happen, but the Patriots are kind of a cheap franchise, could you see them keeping Cassell and trying to trade Brady?

gmrcharity

Patriots are not going to trade Brady. This has been in the works for about a month because of the severity of Bradys knee injuries. I still dont believe Brady will play in 2009 according to a couple of his teamates and I am still not confident that he will play in the NFL again. The first surgery did not go well and it is looking more and more like a second one will be required.

Miracles can take place but the team is not as optimistic.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
I would not be surprised to see the Pats do what the Rams did a few years back when Trent Green went down. They had a young, untested backup QB (Kurt Warner) in camp and gave him the job. The rest is history.
If Cassell can continue as well as he has and Brady comes back in 2010, why not trade him to an NFC team to get parts to plug into the system, or a bunch of draft picks?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Nothing to see here. Now back to the wild speculation about the most important knee in New England.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
:wow: color me shocked. I am not surprised that they want to keep Cassell. But to tag him and tie up that much salary at the Qb position is really reallly shocking. Now...if we see a contract restructure for Brady.....then we will know just how bad the knee really is for him.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Think anyone would trade for Cassel if Brady is fine? Seems like a steep price to pay for a limited resume, and GMs aren't oblivious to Moss and Welker's assistance. Not to mention the coaching staff.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
well, the "price" is two first round picks, and that feels steep, but i wouldnt be at all stunned to see the pats get something like a 1st and a 3rd. wouldnt you rather have him than a QB coming out of college? thats not too hard. the pats set their own price.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
well, the "price" is two first round picks, and that feels steep, but i wouldnt be at all stunned to see the pats get something like a 1st and a 3rd. wouldnt you rather have him than a QB coming out of college? thats not too hard. the pats set their own price.

Not only the picks but a huge contract. If I had a top 5 pick, I'd probably prefer the rookie. With a late first I suspect my team has enough of a support system to take a chance on Cassel.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
again, not necessarily a huge contract. as long as NE doesnt franchise him before they deal him, then the team can negotiate whatever contract they want.

id be willing to bet that a rookie top 5 pick would make even more money than cassel.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
again, not necessarily a huge contract. as long as NE doesnt franchise him before they deal him, then the team can negotiate whatever contract they want.

id be willing to bet that a rookie top 5 pick would make even more money than cassel.
They can FT him and then work a trade. The new team could then work out a long term deal with Cassel. This is what I see going down, the Pats FT him to protect themselves. See where Brady is, if he's on schedule for a return they will turn and try to deal him for less than the 2 firsts, but will likely try to get a deal around what Bomb speculated on. They should find a taker at that price and Minnesota should be a front of the line!

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
This appears to be a leveraging scheme by the Pats. They win either way. 1) Brady is good for 09 and they play up the injury to make desperate teams salivate over picking up Cassel. 2) Brady is hosed for 09 and the Pats keep their more than capable backup for next season and hope to up his trade value with another year's body of work.

Win-Win Patriots.