Kurt Warner -- HOF?

catman

Baseball "Expert"
There has been some speculation of late that Kurt Warner will retire before next season. If he does, has he done enough to get to Canton?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think it is. I know he failed to win Sunday, but he came up big yet again in another big spot. his playoff numbers are fantastic and he's led a team to the SB three times.

Mike

Administrator
If a running back comes into the league and puts up top 5 numbers his first couple years, then gets relegated to backup duty due to an inability to stay healthy and fumbling issues for the next few years, and then lands a starting gig at the end and does well on a very very talented offensive team, do we put him in the hall of fame? No. We put him in the hall of "very good".

Are we discussing this if Warner is throwing to the Chicago Bears receivers this year? I really doubt it.

Very nice career, when healthy, but I can't see him being in the hall of fame.

Runnik's Hambones

We're also not talking about RBs here. We're talking about a QB. That's a very different position, with very different kinds of pressures and responsibilities. Kurt did not just come back on a "very talented offense." Yes they have talent that is undeniable, but he took charge of that locker room. He became a leader again. That's what was lacking in his down years. Now that he has gained the respect and of his players, their talent was allowed to shine. He did not just come back and have a good year stats wise. He came out and made every player on his team better.

Kurt is a HOF QB. The reason is because he did was QBs are suppose to do. They are supposed to lead their team, and make every player want to be better and want to work harder. The other QBs in the league that have done this in the last 10 years are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Now don't get me wrong, I'm talking about leadership, not stats. But again, the 3 best QB leaders we've seen in the last decade, motivators for their teams, have been these 3 QBs.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
come on, kurt warner isnt in that class at all. if someone had come to you and asked you "who are the best 3 QB leaders in the past decade" maybe six months ago, how far down the list would kurt warner have been? top 10 even? would you have even thought of him at all?

this was a truly magical season for him, but lets keep the hype at a minimum here.

Runnik's Hambones

Without a SB run, no Kurt would not be considered. So yes, you're right, 6 months ago, he wouldn't have been in the mix. But guess what, he did. You can't look in hindsight. It doesn't work that way. The fact of the matter is that he accomplished what needed to be accomplished for me to feel that he has been that leader and still is.

Mike

Administrator
Kurt is a HOF QB. The reason is because he did was QBs are suppose to do. They are supposed to lead their team, and make every player want to be better and want to work harder. The other QBs in the league that have done this in the last 10 years are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Now don't get me wrong, I'm talking about leadership, not stats. But again, the 3 best QB leaders we've seen in the last decade, motivators for their teams, have been these 3 QBs.

He has spent the biggest part of this last decade in a backup role though.

A Hall of fame players has a great "career", not a few good years mixed in with the majority of that career spent sitting on the pine.

Stick this dude on the Seahawks roster this year, and he going to be spending his season in the lockerroom hurt, just like Hasselbeck. Put Hasselbeck on the Cardinals roster and this is probably a 9-11 win team.

A quarterback leading his team and making players around him better is simply doing his job.

We put too many players into the hall of fame, and this would be a great example of that.