Josh Gordon

cctekguy

Staff member
Assuming he gets reinstated Aug 1st, where would you rank him among other WRs?

I'm guessing late 7 early 8. Right around where Desean Jackson and Marvin Jones are going.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Depends on the format of the league. If it's a standard re-draft he won't be a guy that I'm targeting before about round 7ish, but if it's a keeper/dynasty situation he's someone I want to roll the dice on.

Last edited:

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
Gordon is a beast! I'd imagine him being drafted around the 4th or 5th round come late August if he's reinstated. Around guys like Tate, Maclin etc. I don't care who's throwing him the ball! We've seen what he's capable of with crap at QB

hikeNbike

Wow. 50 50 he is reinstated. What changed? I thought he was suspended for the season for another failed drug test.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I'd be shocked if he wasn't reinstated. He wasn't suspended this season, he was given a chance to clean up his act and apply for reinstatement August 1st, which is days away. The league has been lenient here, and with the shifting public attitudes on Marijuana generally, I think the NFL wants to avoid looking like the gestapo.

The punishments levied against Gordon have been excessive to this point by almost any standard. He'll be back.

The bigger issues are whether he gets a ban of 2 games or 4 games etc. and whether Cleveland wants him. With recent draft choices, it certainly looks as if the Browns are willing to move on. They screwed him over by suspending him for "detrimental conduct" right on the dotted line, which prevents his free agency for another year. This suggests the Browns may be stacking the deck against him in order to avoid paying him big money, but you have to imagine Gordon is furious over that move. Cleveland will try to hang on to him as long as possible without paying him, but Gordon's future is elsewhere.

Josh Gordon is a prolific talent and would probably do much better if the Browns cut ties with him. I would LOVE it if the Eagles made a trade for him. It could be an absolute steal.

Last edited:

KillerFins

Staff member
Meh, I'll step away from him. Risk is greater than the reward. Again, it will just take one diluted sample, etc for him to be gonzo again. But if his ADP drops (it won't unless he isn't re-instated) than not worth it to me.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
He also has not been cleared to play yet...which tells me it is not crystal clear for him to do so

efactor

Coming at you
He will be reinstated barring any new transgressions. The kids an idiot but he has more than paid the price for a little weed and then having a drink. Horrible abuse of power by the NFL. I know, I know, he knew the rules. Blah, blah, blah.

Trying to gauge effectiveness is tough after a huge lay off. Depending on how my drafts fall, I would grab him in the 9th round range if hanging around. Not going to worry too much and reach for him before that.

KillerFins

Staff member
Horrible abuse of power by the NFL.

Could not disagree more. The NFL enforced the rules that both the NFL & NFLPA agreed to, however silly they are, they gave Goodell the hammer and then they don't like how he use's it, when it's their own fault he can use it as he sees fit. I don't get why fans hate him as they do, but I can see why the Owners love him. The value of NFL Franchises, according to Forbes grew overall by 37.6% over last year, for a total just north of $17 Billion dollars.

efactor

Coming at you
While I'm normally a law and order guy, a year ban for having a drink while on probation is obscene. 4 games would have been plenty of punishment.

Don' hate Goodell at all. Just think the punishment was way beyond the crime.

KillerFins

Staff member
While I'm normally a law and order guy, a year ban for having a drink while on probation is obscene. 4 games would have been plenty of punishment.

Don' hate Goodell at all. Just think the punishment was way beyond the crime.

That is besides the point. That is the system that was in place, the players agreed to it, so how is it an abuse of power?

But getting back to Gordon, think he's not worth his current price, everything considering.

efactor

Coming at you
That is besides the point. That is the system that was in place, the players agreed to it, so how is it an abuse of power?

But getting back to Gordon, think he's not worth his current price, everything considering.

Because he could have given Gorden less and still punished him sufficienty. He had a drink. He was going to give Ray Rice two games before the video went public, a video that from several accounts the NFL had already scene before deciding on two games. A year for having a drink and two games for knocking out your woman. Seems disproportionate.

KillerFins

Staff member
Because he could have given Gorden less and still punished him sufficienty. He had a drink. He was going to give Ray Rice two games before the video went public, a video that from several accounts the NFL had already scene before deciding on two games. A year for having a drink and two games for knocking out your woman. Seems disproportionate.

Apples and oranges. The drug program was well defined, the other was not. When they gave Rice the 2 games it was before the video was available (allegedly!). I agree that the punishments between the two are silly, but as I pointed out there are reasons behind it. If before the video came out Roger suspended Rice for the season there would have been an uproar about it, now Rice as been pretty much blackballed from the league.

efactor

Coming at you
Apples and oranges. The drug program was well defined, the other was not. When they gave Rice the 2 games it was before the video was available (allegedly!). I agree that the punishments between the two are silly, but as I pointed out there are reasons behind it. If before the video came out Roger suspended Rice for the season there would have been an uproar about it, now Rice as been pretty much blackballed from the league.

Yeah, I never believed the NFL didn't see the video before the first punishment was handed out. Too many sources saying they did and seems the security tape would have been easy to get. I mean if TMZ could get it.

I think Gordon definitely deserved a punishment, but a year was excessive. Hope he gets it together, but I have my doubts.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
And it's official, he's back! He'll serve a 4 game suspension to start the season but if he stays on track he'll be back for week 5.

He'll be able to attend training camp and I'd imagine he'd be in good shape heading into week 5. I'm sure there will be some rust but he sure makes for an intriguing mid round pick now.