It's Official: Lions select Matt Stafford #1

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Isnt Raiola like 50 years old? I thought he was on Nebraskas title teams in the mid 90's

*Nevermind - I do see he just turned 30) :horror:

Fire

in the hole
Backus: May very well have his best behind him but he will be able to hold down the LOT position if called upon to do so without the world collapsing.

Ramirez: Would like to see someone competing with him for this position and would expect that will be addressed - possible to move Murtha to G?

Agree with what was said about the others.

The best of Backus was never that good and has gotten worse. He needs to be replaced ASAP.

I have hopes that Loper will be better than Ramirez, and may even possibly take over at LT.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Agreed, I just think that not having a thumper at MLB will force him to set some sort of tackle record for a safety. IDP'ers should take note here.

You make a valid point. You certainly dont want your SS leading the team in tackles.

Looking at whats out there, your choices are to stay with Lenon or take a look at the oft injured Nate Webster

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
My mistake, there appear to be a few others of dubious quality possibly available (Age listed would be as of 9/1/2009:

1. Napoleon Harris, Vikings. Age: 30.
    star.gif
  2. Brad Kassell, Jets. Age: 29.
    star.gif
  3. Gary Stills, Rams. Age: 35.
    star.gif
  4. Teddy Lehman, Bills. Age: 27.
    star.gif
  5. Brandon Moore, 49ers. Age: 30.
    star.gif
  6. Robert McCune, Ravens. Age: 30.
    star.gif
  7. Kris Griffin, Browns. Age: 28.
    star.gif
  8. Dontarrious Thomas, Vikings. Age: 28.
    star.gif
  9. Mike Humpal, Steelers. Age: 24.
    star.gif
  10. Junior Seau, Patriots. Age: 40.
    star.gif
  11. Derek Smith, Dolphins. Age: 34.
    star.gif

ExperiencedRookie

Im a bit shocked at the level of bashing on the Detroit "mistake" of passing on an O line in the 1st round. They picked up Pettigrew, who might be a bigger help for Stafford than a rookie O lineman. Not only can Pettigrew stay in to outside block, but he can also be a nice safety valve for Stafford. No matter if Oher was on the line or not, Stafford is still going to see a lot of pressure and need to get rid of the ball. Now he has a big middle of the field target to quickly toss it to.

For immediate impact and QB help, I think Pettigrew was the perfect pick.

Seems like a lot to say about the Lions, a team that is clearly not worth talking about.

The Raiders are in better shape and hardly worth talking about. Maybe a Death Pool mention for Weird Al.

and yet, I can't turn away from this thread and must post in it.

It's like an instant replay of a slow car crash

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
ER: They did make a mistake by taking Stafford when you take into account the facth they could have gotten a 10 year starter at OT and gotten a better QB in 2010 cheaper, not to mention that QB would avoid taking the hits Stafford will this year.

Fire

in the hole
For immediate impact and QB help, I think Pettigrew was the perfect pick.

Too bad it's a long term rebuilding project. There were plenty of good TE's available in the 3rd and 4th rounds this year. A potentially great LT at 20 would have been a better choice I think.

Fire

in the hole
Murtha is the late round pick I like the most and am hoping he can stay healthy and be as productive as he was in college.

Like the Murtha pick also, but check out this highlight video of fellow 7th rounder Follett. The dude hits like a Murtha Focker. Hell of an open field tackler as well. I have no doubts he will make the team as a special teams player.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGw04KvGZVk"]YouTube - Zack Follet Career Highlights[/ame]

Runnik's Hambones

Too bad it's a long term rebuilding project. There were plenty of good TE's available in the 3rd and 4th rounds this year. A potentially great LT at 20 would have been a better choice I think.

This is why I disagree somewhat with the Pettigrew pick. I don't think the Lions should bank on an instant turn-around. I feel like the mindset has to be rebuild. Stafford, fine, but you NEED to back this up. You've invested too much money and faith into the young guy to not build around him. Cook, Coffman, the list goes on for TEs that were available later in the draft.

This is why I disagree somewhat with the Pettigrew pick. I don't think the Lions should bank on an instant turn-around. I feel like the mindset has to be rebuild. Stafford, fine, but you NEED to back this up. You've invested too much money and faith into the young guy to not build around him. Cook, Coffman, the list goes on for TEs that were available later in the draft.

You and Fire are correct that the TE talent was pretty nice deeper into the draft but for the most part they were pass catching or blocking TEs not the total package like Pettigrew. I think this kid could really stand out from the others in this draft class and although I would not have made that selection it was definitely a nice investment by the Lions.