It's Official: Lions select Matt Stafford #1

Fire

in the hole
My grade for the Lions draft is B-

They only made one reach, and that was on someone they want to switch his position. They spent most of their higher picks on positions that were of less need, pretty much ignoring the pourous O-Line. They took a much bigger gamble than needed on #1 overall, and they took good gambles on quality talent in the later rounds where they should.

If they want to stay out of one of the top 5 draft spots (which is hurting teams until a salary structure for rookies is put into place), than they need to build the trenches quickly to become more competitive. This will most likely be a long rebuilding process and they need to focus up front in the draft more than what they did this year.

I do not claim to be a draft expert, and I know the true value of this draft class will be best to evaluate a few years from now, but this is how I see it now in my humble, but somewhat experienced, opinion. I hope this draft class turns out to be an A++. I respect your opinion and would like to see how you grade this draft at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

storminn0rm

Brewmaster

They spent most of their higher picks on positions that were of less need, pretty much ignoring the pourous O-Line. They took a much bigger gamble than needed on #1 overall, and they took good gambles on quality talent in the later rounds where they should.

I can't believe they passed on Oher with the second pick, and then Beatty after that. How can you protect 46 million dollars with no O-line?

Fire

in the hole
Digs on Detroit or Millen are old news and I know it is all the rage to keep dissing both until something changes but that argument has been overplayed.

I will also grant you that Kevin Walter could fit the role of a #2 WR that does not mean it will get Houston into the playoffs. David Anderson and Andre Davis can be #3s but the same is true. By saying J2 could be a #2 it doesn't mean I expect him to thrive or supply much of a distraction from the legitimate weapons. Like Walter he may get some nice stats from a fantasy aspect but will not be a difference maker on the field.

The "dig" you perceive was not intended. Only pointing out that Dizon was a pick from the Millen Era, not the present one.

Good stats, fantasy aspect or not, from other WR's means production that must be accounted for by a defense.

They only made one reach, and that was on someone they want to switch his position.

Can't argue with you on the potential reach aspect at this point. I do like that Schwartz saw something he liked and wanted and went and got it. Being a new coach I have no measuring stick as to evaluate his assessment of players. I thought like you about the Oak pick and then hearing it was going to be them or Chicago I am holding off on declaring the newbies pick a reach.

They spent most of their higher picks on positions that were of less need, pretty much ignoring the pourous O-Line.

I agree the O-Line needs help (that appears pretty universal) but disagree that OL was any more a need than several others. I went from wanting Smith or Monroe with the 1st to wanting an all D draft and see if we can fill OL holes with FA's

They took a much bigger gamble than needed on #1 overall, and they took good gambles on quality talent in the later rounds where they should.

They need a QB so I guess any time you draft that with a #1 you take a bigger gamble but they were not going to move ahead quickly without addressing that position. I agree about the later picks and am looking forward to seeing if Murtha is as good as I think this preseason.

If they want to stay out of one of the top 5 draft spots (which is hurting teams until a salary structure for rookies is put into place), than they need to build the trenches quickly to become more competitive.

To compete they need to build alot quickly.

This will most likely be a long rebuilding process and they need to focus up front in the draft more than what they did this year.

I won't get into the time factor but it is their D from last year that needs to improve more than the offense. They got some players to make the O more consistent but the D still has to get them the ball.

I do not claim to be a draft expert, and I know the true value of this draft class will be best to evaluate a few years from now, but this is how I see it now in my humble, but somewhat experienced, opinion.

I not only do not claim to be a draft expert or even an expert of football in general but readily will admit I'm just an opinionated homer. My experience tells me the conventional way is not the only or even necessarily the best way.

I hope this draft class turns out to be an A++.

We all need a dream.

I respect your opinion and would like to see how you grade this draft at this point in time.

I've enjoyed the discussion and hope you have not taken anything that I may have said personally .

I initially graded the draft out to a B+ but upon review thought that was to rose colored even for my sensitive eyes and did drop it down to a flat B.

I agree with those who did not have Stafford at #1 but it was nothing against the kid. I won't mark the team down for disagreeing with me when they use the pick to fill the biggest void on the offensive side of the line. A

Pettigrew took me by surprise. If they were going to go TE I thought there was enough talent in the later rounds (Shawn Nelson). I was so focused on D or OL that it took a while for me to warm up to the selection. The value was there, it provides a critical weapon that has been needed in Det. The rookies we have brought in before are more blockers and the vets have never really panned out. If the line performs even a little better than last year I see this as a great boon for whoever is lining up behind center. A

I love the Delmas pick (hey we at least turned to D on day one) although I was surprised considering the ILB's still on the board. A

Going into day 2 Det had a solid A in my book.

Pettigrew surprised me but the Levy pick left me confused. The 1st of the Lion picks of players I had not focused much attention on. OLB instead of in, not a player I had heard much on... I am still warming up to the pick and look forward to seeing what he can do (and how well) when camp opens. C+/B-

D. Williams surprised me because I thought they would hold off on a WR and maybe get a WR like Butler or Thomas later (granted neither fell as far after their selection as I thought they might). This pick grew on me quicker than Levys. I understand the concerns but he can be our special teams player and a valid threat when lined up as a receiver. J2 is not going to be unseated by this kid, at least not this year, but I can see him helping the O in a way J2 can't B

The selection of Hill left me scrambling to find out more about Stillman and him. At this point the draft had me feeling a little down. I expected players that I had not focused on I was just hoping they would be in the 2nd half of the draft. He seems like a good pick for down the road - I picture him having a growing curve like I am giving Dizon of not expecting to much the first year but a marked improvement the next. C+/B-

A. Brown I'm hoping will pan out to be more than Brian Calhoun has. I really would have liked to have seen Rashard Jennings as the pick if they are going to keep him in the backfield. C

Murtha is the late round pick I like the most and am hoping he can stay healthy and be as productive as he was in college. A

Follett appears to be a motor/intensity player like Dizon and may become another blue collar LB. If not the 7th is the place to take those type of gambles. Gronkowski is another blocker along the lines of what the team already had so I am not sure what Schwartz had in mind but if it doesn't pan out the cost of an almost Mr. Irrelevant selection is about as cheap as they come. C+ and C

Fire

in the hole
Agree, very much, with all of your assessments on each individual pick. Nicely done. The individual grades is where we seem to differ. I would give lower grades at the top, and higher towards the end. Guess thats how our overall grade came out close. I would have to give more weight to the first three rounds, because you need to get your starters there, granted that Pettigrew and Delmas are starters, but so would Oher and Laurinaitis have been. Our guards are not very good and I think we could have gotten a good one in the 3rd or 4th round.Trevor Canfield was still there for us in the 7th. I would have at least taken a flier on him.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Agree, very much, with all of your assessments on each individual pick. Nicely done. The individual grades is where we seem to differ. I would give lower grades at the top, and higher towards the end. Guess thats how our overall grade came out close. I would have to give more weight to the first three rounds, because you need to get your startes there, JMO.

Same with me. I'm just so confused by them not taking an OT with the 2nd or 3rd pick. But the Delmas pick was a good one.

Fire

in the hole
A. Brown I'm hoping will pan out to be more than Brian Calhoun has. I really would have liked to have seen Rashard Jennings as the pick if they are going to keep him in the backfield.

Damn!!! Was Jennings still on the board then? I would have loved that pick if he was.

Agree, very much, with all of your assessments on each individual pick. Nicely done. The individual grades is where we seem to differ. I would give lower grades at the top, and higher towards the end. Guess thats how our overall grade came out close. I would have to give more weight to the first three rounds, because you need to get your starters there, granted that Pettigrew and Delmas are starters, but so would Oher and Laurinaitis have been. Our guards are not very good and I think we could have gotten a good one in the 3rd or 4th round.Trevor Canfield was still there for us in the 7th. I would have at least taken a flier on him.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw your draft grade - I haven't really gotten used to the concept of the thank you option yet. This is the first time in a while that I have looked forward to seeing how the later round selections look in camp/preseason.

I am also hoping Detroit makes some moves in FA or trades.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Not only did their logo get some teeth but so did their D. I'm hoping that is the mindset they are developing at least.

The defense did get some teeth, but the core of the offense, the O-line, got nothing. Other teams will break Stafford's baby teeth unless they address this giant need.

Fire

in the hole
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw your draft grade.

Well I guess I came across a little harsh by throwing the word "idiot" out there a little to liberally, so let me apologize for that. After suffering through 8 years of Millen drafts I guess I got the pompous attititude that I could have done much better myself without much research. If you will allow me a dig on Millen at this point, I think a monkey with a dart board could have fared a lot better while he was in charge of the draft.

Here's to hoping that Schwartz, Mayhew, Lewand, and Co. know what they are doing. The trades made have been good ones, may their drafts turn out good also.:cheers:

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Well I guess I came across a little harsh by throwing the word "idiot" out there a little to liberally, so let me apologize for that. After suffering through 8 years of Millen drafts I guess I got the pompous attititude that I could have done much better myself without much research. If you will allow me a dig on Millen at this point, I think a monkey with a dart board could have fared a lot better while he was in charge of the draft.
:

Millen is the only one that got the boot though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think everyone that was around Millen is still with the Lions and some got promoted.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Not only did their logo get some teeth but so did their D. I'm hoping that is the mindset they are developing at least.

I think so. I have heard Delmas being thought of as the next Bob Sanders. When your coming off 0-16, your going to have to keep it strong on your opponents and earn every ounce of respect back. No gimmies.

The defense did get some teeth, but the core of the offense, the O-line, got nothing. Other teams will break Stafford's baby teeth unless they address this giant need.

Enough with the doom and gloom. The line needs help we know that already but the line will be ready week 1.

Backus: May very well have his best behind him but he will be able to hold down the LOT position if called upon to do so without the world collapsing.

Ramirez: Would like to see someone competing with him for this position and would expect that will be addressed - possible to move Murtha to G?

Raiola: Like Backus his best may be past but I do not think replacing him is an area of immediate need although I am not sure of the depth behind him.

Peterman: I am hoping he lives up to the expectation of the coaching staff and becomes a solid plug at the RG position

Cherilus: I expect him to develop into a find ROT

The line is not going to be sending anyone to the Pro Bowl but it is good enough to play in the NFL if there is not a teamwide breakdown like last year. Getting some starter quality depth is something I am looking at them acquiring in FA/trades.

Fire

in the hole
I think so. I have heard Delmas being thought of as the next Bob Sanders. When your coming off 0-16, your going to have to keep it strong on your opponents and earn every ounce of respect back. No gimmies.

Agreed, I just think that not having a thumper at MLB will force him to set some sort of tackle record for a safety. IDP'ers should take note here.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Enough with the doom and gloom. The line needs help we know that already but the line will be ready week 1.

Ok. I'll look forward to watching the preseason to see how some of these guys look. I've just been hurt so many times by the Lions, it's hard to think positive.