Is Washington Screwed Now?

ExperiencedRookie

I too was kind of wondering if Campbell was going to be butt hurt about the Cutler news.

I think this situation is entirely different though. Cutler has proven that he can go nuts at the QB position. He went to the pro-bowl last year. Campbell has never even sniffed the kind of success that Cutler had last year. He shouldn't be surprised at all that his team was looking to pull Cutler in.

As to the direction that this thread has gone after the initial point...

ummmm what were you guys talking about again??

Coachnorm

There has also been rumblings in the offseason that the Skins weren't entirely sold on the idea of Campbell being the man for the job.

bobbeaux

so, how are those young wr's washington drafted last year doing? . . . they've been hurt since they got there, but if i remember right they were touted as pretty good players.

i like campbell . . . i think he'll continue to improve . . . might even think about drafting him late this year as a backup/possible breakout . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
A good head coach adapts his style to his players. McDaniel immediately tried to manipulate the roster to fit his style, and now he is stuck with the crap that is left over from his stupidity.

Now for the irrelevant homer spin. Mike Tomlin grew up in the league with 4-3 fronts and a Tampa-2 style defense. He shows up in Pittsburgh and goes in the proper direction with his style, based on Dick LeBeau and the personnel he already had on hand.

Call me biased, but I'm not completely impressed with the Belichek coaching tree so far. For someone touted as such a genius, he's spawned nothing but arrogant coaches who think they can strong-arm the "Patriot Way" into situations that resemble nothing like what they left in New England. Mangini is already a retread, Crennel got lucky for one year because of a flash-in-the-pan backup QB playing with his pants on fire, and Weis is a chubby punchline at a once-legendary NCAA program. Now McDaniel hasn't even coached a preseason game yet and already resembles Lane Kiffin, take-2.

As for Campbell, he has a right to be pissed off at the establishment but has remained somewhat off the radar so far. Right now he's a league average QB who doesn't put his team in holes and could conceivably lead a team to a Super Bowl with solid role players and a strong defense. Unfortunately the Redskins don't have either.

I think it's past time for the Colt Brennan era to begin in the District!!!

Hammered

Delivery Boy
Jay Cutler wouldn't have worked in Washington anyway. They don't use thr wide receiver much. Here is the play calling.
1st down run with Portis
2nd down run with Portis
3rd down throw to Cooley
4th down punt
Its that easy. As a fan of the 'skins this is what I see. Every now and again they will sprinkle in a pass to Moss and if they are down by 15+ they will use a trick play to Randle-El. Not much use for a guy who can throw 4500 yds a season

Coachnorm

Jay Cutler wouldn't have worked in Washington anyway. They don't use thr wide receiver much. Here is the play calling.
1st down run with Portis
2nd down run with Portis
3rd down throw to Cooley
4th down punt
Its that easy. As a fan of the 'skins this is what I see. Every now and again they will sprinkle in a pass to Moss and if they are down by 15+ they will use a trick play to Randle-El. Not much use for a guy who can throw 4500 yds a season

I must admit I was surprised that a Jim Zorn O resembled previous Redskin Os so closely.

Coachnorm

so, how are those young wr's washington drafted last year doing? . . . they've been hurt since they got there, but if i remember right they were touted as pretty good players.

i like campbell . . . i think he'll continue to improve . . . might even think about drafting him late this year as a backup/possible breakout . . . ;)

Hard to gauge those rookies yet. One is still not ready to return and the other although healthy didn't show to the first voluntary workouts.

I like Campbell myself. With Zorn coming in as coach last year I got him as my backup in one league figuring he had a lot of upside and may have even been a good spot starter instead of just making a bye week appearance. That didn't work out so well but I often pick up guys the year before they breakout. I had Thomas Jones two years ago in a redraft league and it turned out that last year was his Superman year. Campbell may deserve consideration again this year.

Arctic Dawgs

I like Campbell myself. With Zorn coming in as coach last year I got him as my backup in one league figuring he had a lot of upside and may have even been a good spot starter instead of just making a bye week appearance.

Agreed. I got him in a trade where I gave up Romo for WR and a boatload of picks in a Keeper league. Won't be keepeing him this year, but I should be able to get him in the draft with so many earlier picks. I'm out of the last 4 rounds already and still have to trade off Witten/Carleson.

This league protects a starting roster + 1 flex. TE mandatory.