Is Washington Screwed Now?

Runnik's Hambones

There is almost no doubt that Washington had their hands in the Cutler pot. They wanted to replace Campbell with Jay, and I cannot blame them one bit. But the question is how will Campbell react?

We've seen this before, this season, with Cutler. Doogie wanted Cassel, Cutler got pissed off and threw a hissy fit. Now Washington wanted Cutler, but will Campbell also cry a river?

The question is simple: Is Campbell as much of a little bitch as Cutler is?

Runnik's Hambones

Snyder is an interesting subject. I hear fans yell at their team's owners all of the time for not spending money to make their team great. Snyder is the guy that Washington is yelling at because of HOW he spends money.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
No, because they went and openly addressed the situation with Campbell, and told him it is his job now, but he has to prove it.

As stated in the other thread, Campbell is on the last year of his rookie contract. So if he doesn't continue to improve, then he can be gone with no issues. OR...Washington can take Sanchez or Freeman in this draft, and let Campbell hold the reins till he is ready. Similar to what SD did.

Mike

Administrator
Continue to improve? Where has Campbell shown regular improvement? This guy is like a dance. Two steps forward and three steps back!

Runnik's Hambones

No, because they went and openly addressed the situation with Campbell, and told him it is his job now, but he has to prove it.

That doesn't tell me anything or answer my question. Josh McDaniels came out and said that Cutler was his QB after Cassel didn't work out, but that still didn't work. My question is if Campbell is as much of a baby as Cutler is?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Continue to improve? Where has Campbell shown regular improvement? This guy is like a dance. Two steps forward and three steps back!
Year 1: 7 games started, 53.1% completion rate, 1297 yards passing, 10 Tds and 6 Ints.
Year 2: 13 games started, 60% completion rate, 2700 yards passing, 12 Tds and 11 Ints
Year 3 under new coach and offense: 16 games started, 62.3% completion rate, 3245 yards passing, 13Tds and 6 Ints

Yes, I see improvement. Yes I see a young Qb that potentially could get better and take them somewhere. Is he a Peyton Manning or Brady? No. Could a solid team win a championship with him...probably. 6 Ints and a 62% completion rate is pretty damn good for a year...in a new system and with a new coach.

Runnik's Hambones

I've believed in Campbell all last year. Honestly, as Phic pointed out, the stats don't lie. I think he's a better version of Trent Dilfer. He's not going to be great by any means, but he's learning to protect the ball and like Dilfer, if he's on a team with a good defense and a running game, he won't loose you games.

Mike

Administrator
Give me stats and I can tell you that David Carr is an NFL caliber quarterback. I can tell you that Brad Johnson makes good decisions, when the fact is he hangs on to the ball way too long.

No, telling me how many interceptions the guy throws and what his completion percentage is doesn't tell me what the guy is doing.

Watching him play, and watching him look no better in 2008 than he looked in 2007 tells me his days as a starter are numbered.

Runnik's Hambones

Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I think he's great. That means he's good enough to win a Super Bowl. That's all I'm saying.

Mike

Administrator
nope!

I can name you 53 players that "won" a superbowl. Doesn't say anything about any individual player.

Runnik's Hambones

Seriously, I don't care about the individual player, as a fan. I don't think Luke McCowen is a great QB, but I think with the right tools he can win a SB. That's what matters to me, above all else. Who gives a damn if your QB is throwing 60% or 50%, if he doesn't turn the ball over and your team wins?

There is one, and I mean only one exception to that rule in my eyes: Rex Grossman. That guy blows.

Mike

Administrator
I think you buy into that because your team scammed it's way into a Super Bowl with a mediocre quarterback.

seriously. Do you honestly believe that the Bucs win that super bowl if Gruden isn't playing the "scout team QB" when they are going up against the team that he was just head coaching for?

That Super Bowl was all about a mismatch at head coach, and Gruden had a huge advantage.

Runnik's Hambones

Of course Gruden had a huge advantage, but I believe we won because we had the #1 ranked defense in the country. Remember, we had more turnovers that entire year than anyone else. Derrick Brooks continued to take picks to the house and was the defensive player of the year. I think that had the most to do with it.

Phicinfan

Administrator
That doesn't tell me anything or answer my question. Josh McDaniels came out and said that Cutler was his QB after Cassel didn't work out, but that still didn't work. My question is if Campbell is as much of a baby as Cutler is?
Actually from all reports no McDaniels didn't. Basically the stories I have seen is they at no point said they wanted him..and felt they could win with him or without him. No part is that integral speach.

McDaniels didnt' come out and make ANY statement until this had blown up so far that it was inevitable that they would sepperate

Runnik's Hambones

Yes he did. I saw him say it himself. It was less than a week after the Cassel situation. He came out and said that Cutler is his QB and that he plans on sitting down with him and coming up with a game plan for next year. He literally said that Cutler was the starter.

McDaniels continued to try and contact Cutler but Jay wouldn't answer his calls.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yes he did. I saw him say it himself. It was less than a week after the Cassel situation. He came out and said that Cutler is his QB and that he plans on sitting down with him and coming up with a game plan for next year. He literally said that Cutler was the starter.

McDaniels continued to try and contact Cutler but Jay wouldn't answer his calls.
Maybe you did, but he never said it to Cutler, or his agent in private talks, it has been well documented.

And to be clear here, I am not defending Cutler in this. He was as stupid as McDaniels. In some sense this is probably best for both...as it is hard to come back from this type of acrimony. I just call out that Zorn came and talked face to face with Campbell, and said yes, they were talking on cutler, it was a team idea, not his, and that he has faith in Campbell and he is the starter. In the Denver case, McDaniels supposedly didn't want Cutler.

Mike

Administrator
McDaniel went into "spin hell" after his plan to bring in "his guy" slapped him upside his dumb head.

What he said doesn't matter. History tells us that a head coach likes certain things. He likes his own staff, and he likes his own quarterback. Cutler wasn't his quarterback, and for some stupid ass reason, he felt the need to try and move a franchise quarterback in favor of a quarterback that fit his system. McDaniel screwed up.

A good head coach adapts his style to his players. McDaniel immediately tried to manipulate the roster to fit his style, and now he is stuck with the crap that is left over from his stupidity.

quarterbacks aren't like all positions. they know when a head coach doesn't want them, and sticking around does nothing but shorten their career.

Remote Controller

• -- Redskins Move to Rebuild Relationship with Jason Campbell --
    Fri Apr 3, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
  • The Washington Post reports having failed to acquire disgruntled QB Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos, the Washington Redskins yesterday moved to rebuild their relationship with QB Jason Campbell, whom the team had inquired about trading, NFL sources said. Concerned that Campbell could feel alienated, Redskins HC Jim Zorn reached out to him yesterday, Campbell said. In a lengthy talk after Campbell worked out at Redskins Park, Zorn reaffirmed his commitment to Campbell and said they were "in it together," Campbell said. Campbell, Zorn, Cerrato and Snyder are expected to meet soon in an attempt to continue the healing process, sources close to Campbell said, with the team at some point planning to issue a statement of confidence in its former first-round draft pick, possibly as early as today. Snyder and Cerrato did not attempt to speak with Campbell yesterday while he was at the complex, Campbell said. "Jim was honest with me about the whole process and everything that went on, and you appreciate it when people tell you the truth," Campbell said. "I know Jim has been behind me and believes in me, and I have the support of my coaches and my teammates, and that's pretty much all you need. To have Jim tell me he knows I can help this team get to where we want to be and that he has that confidence, that trust, in me, that's what you want to hear as a young quarterback in this league after having all this crazy stuff going on around you. Knowing you can trust your coach really helps right now."