Integrity of My League

gomez70

Just wondering what anyone's opinion about this scenario is.

My last game of the regular fantasy season is this week. 14 game season with a 2 week playoff.

12 teams. 3 division winners and a wildcard make the playoffs. To make a long story short; There are 2 teams vying for the last spot. I can basically control which one of those 2 teams makes the playoffs. Do you think its gamesmanship or just bad etiquette to put in my worst lineup possible? If I lose than the team that I play in week 1 of the playoffs is a much weaker team in my opinion than the team I would play if I win this week. Am I overthinking this? Should I play my best lineup like I have been the whole season, or should I try to play Kingmaker and try to get the best playoff matchup I can get.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'm going to play my best lineup possible. Lord knows my best has laid a couple of eggs this season. I let the chips fall where they may.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
My .02

This could be considered a boarder line sand-bagging, or as you put it "Poor Gamesmanship"

I would put your best players in the line-up always, its not really up to you to dictate who you should play.

Vicious_Machine

Really? I would play the crappier team! I may even bench my entire lineup depending on how I feel.

When I play a league, I only care about 1 thing! "What can I do to give myself the best chance to win". I could care less what OTHER teams do or how my moves impact them.

It is tougher in football compared to ice hockey. But I have made retarded trades in hockey leagues giving up top goal scorers just because I want another team in the standings for a rotess league to catch somebody I am competing with.

The only 1 issue I have with trying this strategy in football H2H leagues is that H2H is very unpredictable. In any given week, pretty much any team can beat any team (I am in 4 leagues, 0 teams are had 3 or fewer losses). You just want to be 100% sure this does not blow up in your face, cause the mockery may never end until the end of time if this is a friends league... I still get mocked for a game like 3-4 years ago where I lost by TRIPLE digits point to one of the worst team in our fantasy league that year.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Do you think its gamesmanship or just bad etiquette to put in my worst lineup possible?

It's both.

As long as you're within your league's rules it's gamesmanship. And your particular plan is actually quite brilliant.

Now as to etiquette, you can see there is a general sense to play your best lineup. Whatever decision lets you sleep at night is fine, in my opinion. I personally play my best lineup... but in retrospect I think its just due to years of programming. I've honestly never thought to look ahead as you've done.