Indy radio reporting Manning out for year, wow!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Actually, with Hasselbeck, and CJ back in the fold. I think I like Tennessee as an underdog to win it now.

Im hearing more about this floating around. Its only going to take a couple good shots from a Dwight Freeney or a Mario Williams to kick off the Jake Locker era.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
yes that is true. However, he has sought other opinions, and another procedure is an option.

He has lost arm strenght, and feeling. Yes, this may come back, but since he is having pain again...it may mean more. My gut says this is going to last a while. This hurts Indy badly.
Seeing reports from multiple sources stating he could have another surgery as soon as today. If that is the case, he will miss significant time. But they still think he could play at some point this year.

2minutedrill

Manning is a great player. Wish there were more like him. (not even his brother can measure up). One guy out, and it kills a whole team? Born and raised in balto and was a colt fan before they moved out on me in the middle of the night! still can't get over it. now i'm just a band wagoner.

JScott

Administrator
ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms that Peyton Manning underwent cervical fusion surgery on his neck Thursday morning.
Manning's recovery timetable is 2-3 months at minimum.
Per Mort, there's no word yet on the possibility of injured reserve. We imagine the Colts will hold off on that decision as long as possible, though the season is circling the drain. Manning won't play before Halloween and possibly not until Thanksgiving. Kerry Collins is still just a low-end QB2 in what will likely be a more run-oriented offense than it's been under Manning. Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, and Pierre Garcon all take severe blows.

:wow:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I wonder if that was the case......Id think it was, but one never knows. I know of several pro wrestlers that had this done and continued on with good careers, but its a hell of a recovery process. That said, no reason to put him on IR just yet..its not like there is a QB out there to get.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
A lot like the fantasy world I guess Sarge. I've been wondering how long to hang onto him in redraft leagues but the pickings are pretty slim out there.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Yeah if you are in a 14+ team league and drafted him in an early one you are crying right now. There is NOTHING out on the waiver wire.

Bull

The Superbowl is Indy this year. If the Colts can manage a wild card spot or even win their weak division, Manning will want to play in the playoffs. I don't see the Colts ending his season until the playoffs are out of reach. Many will argue that the playoffs are out of reach already, but the Cotls get Jax and TN 2X every year and they get to play Cleveland and Cinci this year as well. I don't think they can win against the AFC studs like Pitt, NE or Baltimore (all of which the Colts have to play) without Manning, but because their division is weak, they still have a chance depending on how Collins does. If Manning can come back by December, the Colts would be a different team in the playoffs.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Indy is a stretch to make the playoffs now. Houston wins the division now. AFC playoffs will be NE,NYJ,Pitt,Houston,SD,Baltimore. NYJ/Baltimore th WC.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Why dont the colts pup him?
I don't think you can now, deadline has passed. Fact is they waited too long on this. so they either have to carry him on active roster, or put him on IR I believe. PUP designation has to happen before final rosters are locked. Not sure on that though. However, PUP is only for first 6 weeks. AFter that player has to go to Ir. They have already said it will be 2-3 months.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
So he's looking at missing at least 8-12 games then right? That late in the season, why would they risk their frnchise player of getting hurt permantaly. Think they would sit him as long as possible to at least make sure he will be able to play in the future.

deuce4321

Driller
As someone else said it all depends if they can make playoffs or not when he is ready to play. Collins knows he is just filling in till Peyton can return so shouldn't be a problem that way.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I wonder if that was the case......Id think it was, but one never knows. I know of several pro wrestlers that had this done and continued on with good careers, but its a hell of a recovery process. That said, no reason to put him on IR just yet..its not like there is a QB out there to get.
Story is out now, that Indy has a way out of the contract with no money to Manning if needed..

Could Manning move on? Hard to imagine Peyton Manning wearing a Miami Dolphins uniform. Or Peyton Manning playing for the Seattle Seahawks.
But it's not as farfetched today as it was at other times.
There's a lot that still can happen and it makes no sense to predict how it will evolve. But it's worth pointing out that the Colts can get out of Manning's contract after one year and $26 million without any other money being guaranteed, according to a league source.
Manning has a $28 million option bonus/non-exercise bonus in Year 2 that is due on the fifth day before the end of the 2011 league year, according to the source. But if the Colts cut Manning after Year 1, they pay neither.
It sounds crazy because it's Manning we're talking about. But he will be 36 years old next season, and if he can't play this year because of his neck and back injuries, then the Colts could be staring straight at one of the most significant financial decisions they will ever have to make.
They could be deciding whether to pay Manning the balance on his contract or to stick their necks on the line and decline the option bonus.
per shefter at ESPN