I'm out of the playoffs but...

backtoprison

Should I be "allowed" to continue dropping and adding players via the waiver wire?

My team and three others are out but in our ESPN league we will continue to match-up and play each other for the next three weeks. We have nothing to play for but pride and the avoidance of the Last Place Trophy.

Anyway, just so I could get three more weeks of enjoyment out of my $20 entrance fee, I continued playing the waiver wire. However, our commish reversed my transactions saying folks not in the playoffs should not be dropping players, making them available for a playoff team to use.

My RBs are Forte, JStewart, McCoy, Moreno, and Benson (max 5 RBs). I dropped Forte (plays GB, Bal & Min - ouch) and picked up the Wash RB who's starting. Did I cross the line? There's no way I'd be starting Forte any of those weeks were I in the playoffs? If I did cross the line, who should I have dropped that would have been considered "fair"?

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
In the league that I run eliminated teams are not allowed to make roster adjustments by adding or dropping players. In general, I think allowing eliminated teams to do this messes with the league and can only create problems. Unless it's a dynasty league there is no incentive to adjust your roster other than to tamper with the teams that are still competing.

Last edited by a moderator:

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
I made a FA pick up after the waiver wire was cleared as i'm not in the playoffs SOFFL II

In my dynasty league all waiver wire or FA transactions are not allowed for anyone after week 12

Last edited by a moderator:

Khubbard71

Players put on IR are the only drops allowed in my league for none playoff teams. Even if the teams Forte is facing are going to be tough he should not be dropped. I am not saying that he will do good, but if you are out of the playoff hunt does it really matter how well he does?

Remote Controller

Even when there is nothing to fight for? If it's officially condoned in the league rules that's one thing - but I wouldn't want to play in a league that had a rule like that.
So do you condone teams rolling over in the NFL? I play for pride every game,... and,....if I have a game, I want to win it. If the waivers are available then I'm all over it. If you don't want this to happen, put it in the rules or don't give me a matchup.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I think the bigger issue is that you dropped someone who has perceived value and in doing so you can be effecting the competitive balance of the league for the playoffs. I agree with your commish that dropping players like that should not be allowed. If you have a consolation bowl, then I don't see an issue with waiver moves, but not if your messing with the competitive balance of the games that still mean something. That is a tough balance to keep and one of the reasons I don't like toilet bowls in FF.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
My dynasty team is 2-11:sadbanana: i feel there is no reason to lay down and not try to win as RC has said. :nod: for me the spoiler role and playing for pride becomes a factor, no one likes to lose.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree Deringer. In my league the WW remains open for all teams until the title game kicks off. Then it closes until after our next year draft. Trades can be made during the off season.

cctekguy

Staff member
This is a touchy subject and one that really boils down to the league format and the integrity of the owners.

I agree with RC that teams should be allowed to try to win regardless of their record, but I also recognize that there are jerks out there that will try to manipulate the play-offs by dropping their studs or hoarding needed positions.

I have a horrible record in SOFFL II, but I'd still like to win out. I still want to manage my team via the ww and field the best possible team. If by picking up Ryan Moats I have somehow hurt your chances of winning in the play-offs, I'm sorry....But if your play-off team is depending on Ryan Moats for a win, well then your TEAM is sorry and you probably shouldn't be in the play-offs anyway.

We've been sharing the waiver wire all season long. Why should that change? Besides, your commissioner has the power to undo the BS moves if someone tries to be an ass.

In dynasty and keeper leagues, I'm all for the non play-off teams trying to build a team for next year, even if it means they drop a guy that has value for this year. Your chances of getting that player are just as good as the other guy's.

In ALL formats, I think the ww should be shut down at the end of the fantasy regular season and let the play-off teams finish with the team they have.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
In ALL formats, I think the ww should be shut down at the end of the fantasy regular season and let the play-off teams finish with the team they have.

Interesting idea but I couldn't support that Tekie. Blizzards, car crashes, and arrests are just some of the un-for-seen reasons why a playoff team needs to be able to work the waiver.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
My dynasty team is 2-11:sadbanana: i feel there is no reason to lay down and not try to win as RC has said. :nod: for me the spoiler role and playing for pride becomes a factor, no one likes to lose.
dynasty leagues are COMPLETELY different, this is a redraft league in which the playoffs have started, there is no spoiler as the teams that did not make the playoffs, their season is over. They should not be impacting those in the playoffs......it would be like a player in the NFL who is a FA the next year, signing with a team in the playoffs after his season has been completed.....

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
dynasty leagues are COMPLETELY different, this is a redraft league in which the playoffs have started, there is no spoiler as the teams that did not make the playoffs, their season is over. They should not be impacting those in the playoffs......it would be like a player in the NFL who is a FA the next year, signing with a team in the playoffs after his season has been completed.....

If the playoffs are underway then yes i agree 100% as there is no spoiler and not much reason to pick-up FA

cctekguy

Staff member
Interesting idea but I couldn't support that Tekie. Blizzards, car crashes, and arrests are just some of the un-for-seen reasons why a playoff team needs to be able to work the waiver.

I thought your goal was to make our league as "NFL like" as possible.

Jeff Fisher gets stuck in Blizzards. He doesn't run out and pick up players that are used to the cold...he plays the guys he's got.

Weather, accidents, and injury are all part of the game.

If I lose because Chris Johnson is in a car wreck and Drew Brees is playing in a blizzard then I lost because my team had no depth and I didn't prepare.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
So do you condone teams rolling over in the NFL? I play for pride every game,... and,....if I have a game, I want to win it. If the waivers are available then I'm all over it. If you don't want this to happen, put it in the rules or don't give me a matchup.

When the playoffs have started and you are not in them (but only in a consolation bracket) why would you "play for pride"? Your season is over. Now if this were a situation where the person is mathematically eliminated but the regular season is still going on - sure, there's nothing wrong with adding/dropping until the playoffs begin.

But the playoffs have begun... the team isn't in them... so why interfere with the teams that are playing for real?

cctekguy

Staff member
But the playoffs have begun... the team isn't in them... so why interfere with the teams that are playing for real?

You make it sound like wanting to win a non-consequence game is selfish. I'm not trying to screw up your season, I'm trying to win a game.

Your line of thinking violates the very core of the spirit of competition.

"All Bow To The Hallowed 4"....Screw that.

You made the play-offs with the ww wide open. Win the championship under the same circumstances and let me enjoy the last few weeks of my losing season.

Just my opinion, mind you.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think its bs personally. To me this is something that likely dont appear in many redraft league rules because its so obvious.

TurfPro

Outlaw Gopher Slayer
The best way might be to disallow all waiver pickups except due to injury. If your good enought to make the playoffs, you ought to be good enough to plan ahead.....