Hines Ward lashes out at NFL over safety

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has lashed out at the NFL for what he calls its hypocritical stance on many issues, including player safety.

He says the league suddenly is emphasizing player safety only because it wants to expand to an 18-game season.

Ward predicted Wednesday that a team will lose a game -- possibly in the playoffs -- because an official will make an incorrect call simply because he fears being disciplined by the league if he doesn't throw a flag.

Ward said there is considerable confusion around the league because players no longer know what hit is legal and what isn't. He also said the Steelers won't change their playing style to adopt to the ever-shifting rules, even if they keep getting fined.

Hines Ward of Pittsburgh Steelers calls out at NFL over safety - ESPN

I tend to agree with him..a team is gonna pay a heavy price for a ref being scared of reprimand for a no call.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
MongerKhan[/QUOTE said:
Agreed on what is a legal hit but heck it's got to where there's confusion amongst everyone as to what is a TD catch anymore if the ball shifts or comes loose at anytime after the receiver has both feet down.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Hmmm! I'll check with CatFish on that one. She's sure to know because she's told me that exact same thing in the past.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Yet a RB can stretch out and slam the ball down just across the plane, lose control, and score. :headscratch:
Just like a RB can lower their head and crack someone with the crown of their helmet and no call.....

Overall, I am in favor of the head hunting crack down....they have gone a little overboard, but I think it's good for the game.....HOWEVER, Whines is just living up to his name here.

maverick824

anyone else notice a pattern here? Whenever we've heard crying over the new rule, it's come from one location, Pittsburgh. Ward's only saying this because Harrison got his 4th fine, plain and simple. If ANY other team's player had done what Harrison had done to Fitz, I'm guessing we be hearing zip from Steelerville's own midget crybaby. They need to just suspend Harrison, how many cheap helmet shots do you get before they stop with the fines, anyway?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think he would have been suspended for this weekend had the Steelers not been playing the Ravens.