Hard Choices

A

Axe Elf

Man, this board is awfully sleepy. FSW used to be much more active than this. Seems like no one says anything unless I start something, so to pass a little time here at work, I'll start this.

Which would you rather have...?

1) QB1: Robert Griffin III or Cam Newton

2) QB2: Joe Flacco or Phillip Rivers

3) QB3: Brandon Weeden or Alex Smith

4) RB1: Doug Martin or Jamaal Charles

5) RB2: Reggie Bush or Maurice Jones-Drew

6) RB3: Le'Veon Bell or Lamar Miller

7) RB4: Ronnie Hillman or Mark Ingram

8) WR1: Demaryius Thomas or Julio Jones

9) WR2: Larry Fitzgerald or Randall Cobb

10) WR3: Cecil Shorts or Torrey Smith

11) WR4: Denarius Moore or Vincent Brown

12) WR5: Brandon LaFell or Jacoby Jones

13) TE1: Tony Gonzalez or Vernon Davis

14) TE2: Jermichael Finley or Dustin Keller

15) Flex: Denard Robinson or Danny Woodhead

Discuss...

And feel free to add your own little conundrums if you like.

A

Axe Elf

We should do something like this and then rank our choices by confidence. Score them at the end of the season and if your pick did better, you get 15 points if it's your 1st confidence pick, 14 points for your 2nd, etc... and the most total points wins.

Man, this board is awfully sleepy. FSW used to be much more active than this. Seems like no one says anything unless I start something, so to pass a little time here at work, I'll start this.

Discuss...

And feel free to add your own little conundrums if you like.

1. Cam
2. Rivers
3. Smith
4. Charles
5. Bush PPR MJD standard
6. Miller
7. Ingram
8. Jones
9. Cobb
10. Smith
11. Brown
12. Lafell
13. Gonzo
14. Finley
15. Woodhead

Murray vs. McFadden?

Last edited by a moderator:

jjtweeks

1. Cam
2. Rivers
3.Weeden
4.Martin
5. MJD
6. Miller
7. Ingram
8. Jones
9. Cobb
10. Smith
11. Moore
12. LaFell
13. Davis
14. Finley
15. Woodhead
McFadden
hard choice rookies and def
QB) G Smith or E.J. Manuel
RB) LeVeon Bell or Eddie Lacy
WR) Aaron Dobson or Cordarrelle Patterson
TE) Tyler Eifert or Travis Kelce
Def) Rams or Broncos

A

Axe Elf

hard choice rookies and def
QB) G Smith or E.J. Manuel
RB) LeVeon Bell or Eddie Lacy
WR) Aaron Dobson or Cordarrelle Patterson
TE) Tyler Eifert or Travis Kelce
Def) Rams or Broncos

QB) Stab myself in the eye with a fork.
RB) Bell
WR) Patterson
TE) Eifert
Def) Broncos

A

Axe Elf

For myself...

1) QB1: Robert Griffin III (#5 Fantasy QB last year even missing a couple of games; Newton won't get to run as much under new OC Mike Shula.)

2) QB2: Phillip Rivers (Should have plenty of receiving options in a bounce-back year; Flacco might be more consistent though.)

3) QB3: Brandon Weeden (For a QB3, I'd rather swing for the fences.)

4) RB1: Jamaal Charles (Martin won't play Oakland every week.)

5) RB2: Reggie Bush (Agree that it's am even better choice in PPR, but I don't trust MJD)

6) RB3: Le'Veon Bell (Better situation to excel; probly a top 15 RB.)

7) RB4: Mark Ingram (Awfully close to taking Hillman--the poor man's Darren Sproles--in a PPR.)

8) WR1: Demaryius Thomas (Just 'cause he's more "the guy"--200 more yards and same TDs as Jones last year.)

9) WR2: Larry Fitzgerald (Should be on the receiving end of a LOT of looooooong Palmer passes.)

10) WR3: Cecil Shorts (Especially for the 4 weeks of Blackmon's suspension--then it gets close.)

11) WR4: Denarius Moore (Like Thomas, he's more "the guy" than Brown.)

12) WR5: Jacoby Jones (Close, but LaFell has a better WR1 than Jones; so Jones could see more targets as a WR2 than LaFell.)

13) TE1: Vernon Davis (Close again, but fewer options equal more targets.)

14) TE2: Dustin Keller (I'm going to say Keller here, just because Anthony Fasano led the Dolphins in TD receptions as their TE last season--by more than double--and Keller is an even better TE.)

15) Flex: Danny Woodhead (I think Denard Robinson is going to have one or two monster games this season. But Woodhead should get steady, if small, production every week, and when--not if--Mathews goes down, even more.)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator

Okay I am game...

Griffen, but I also have to waste another higher pick on a solid back up, as I don't see him staying healthy. Cam gets killed by Shula in my opinion.

Yuck. Have never been a Flacco fan, and I think they run more with Rice and Pierce to protect the changing D. Rivers has just not been solid. Don't know if he is hiding an injury, or its lack of solid targets. They miss a REAL Rb to take def. focus. So I have to go Flacco here,

Call me reckless, but I like what they are doing in Cleveland. Weeden will have young Wrs that have had a full camp to learn the system, and like the young Te as well. Richardson will be more involved as well. I see KC as early Andy in Philly, but A.Smith is no McNabb, and Bowe is just older. Charles is the ONLY KC target on offense to me. Has to be Weeden.

Charles - welcome to Westbrook part deux. I love Martin, and he had an incredible year.

Bush, he will help stabilize a solid Off. Even if, and I don't think he will be, MJD is healthy, that off. will suck wind.

Wow, great one here. This one is tough. But I will lean Bell, as I think Pittsburgh wants to get back to a solid run game.

Hillman. I know all are convinced Ball will win, but I like what Hillman brings, and I think Ingram isn't what N.O. thought. Too many backs in N.O. as well.

Jones, Thomas will have to share with Welker and Decker. Jones only really has White. Gonzales is back, but I don't think he will be the focus.

wow, another good one. I will lean Fitz here. Like him or not Carson can still produce, and he is the best Qb Fitz has had in forever. I love Cobb, but you can't deny all the tools there in GB he has to work with.

T.Smith is the choice. He is the only really established Wr there. With an experienced Qb. I love Shorts and acquired him in Hired Guns to be my #3/#4 Wr due to what he has already done. But the Qb in Jacksonville whoever wins scares me to death. Also with no sure MJD to take the load...yuck.

Brown, Moore gets hurt to much and isn't the Wr to target in Oakland anyway. Brown may well finally establish himself here.

LaFell, Jones simply is not a realiable receiver.

I want to say Davis here. Crabtree is out, Boldin is in, but Davis disappeared alot last year. So will go with Gonzales and his fight for a title.

Neither? For all those who continue to sing the praise of Finley, I don't get it. He simply has not produced since his rookie year. Keller has a shot in a new place so will lean there if I have to.

I will go Robinson here, I am intrigued with his talent, and don't think MJD will be fully back.

A

Axe Elf

You do realize Cobb was #18 with 154.6 pts and Fitz was #42 with 103.8 pts last year, right?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
You do realize Cobb was #18 with 154.6 pts and Fitz was #42 with 103.8 pts last year, right?

Very, very true, but cobb had return yards, and no running game to conflict with last year. Fitz had no Qb to speak of last year. I think they will be much, much closer this year, but then again, I am expecting bigger numbers from Jordy too so deducting from Cobbs.

wical34

My reality check bounced.
Bell vs. Miller

This truly interest me.. It seems to me people have forgotten Miller average 4.9 ypc last season?

Miami line lead Reggie Bush to 986 yds rushing. I think Miller and a full workload out produces Bell.

No Pittsburgh RB averaged over 4.0 ypc and the longest run less than 40. You combine a weak offensive line with slow top end speed of Bell and a 4.6/40, Bell needs the ball 25+ carries a game to produce.

Also, Bell will face Cincinnati, Cleveland and Baltimore twice.

I personally swing for the fences on this one and go with Miller.

bodey24

Staff member
Pittsburgh line battled injuries all season and Miami no longer has long. I will take the chance bell revives Pitts running game.

A

Axe Elf

Very, very true, but cobb had return yards, and no running game to conflict with last year. Fitz had no Qb to speak of last year. I think they will be much, much closer this year, but then again, I am expecting bigger numbers from Jordy too so deducting from Cobbs.

Well yeah, I DO expect them to be very close this year--that's why I included them among the "hard choices." I was just trying to counter the idea that Fitz (or Cobb, for that matter) was a "100% all day every day" no brainer.

A

Axe Elf

Pittsburgh line battled injuries all season and Miami no longer has long. I will take the chance bell revives Pitts running game.

Yeah, I was pretty much gonna say that.

AND that Baltimore's run D may not be what it once was when Ray Lewis was on the field.

wical34

My reality check bounced.
Yeah, I was pretty much gonna say that.

AND that Baltimore's run D may not be what it once was when Ray Lewis was on the field.

Michigan also held him to 68 yds on 26 carries.. He decreased his ypc every year through college. Last year with 382 carries average 4.7 in college. Also didn't break for longer than 40 yards. My only argument is no top end speed, and way too much hype for a rookie that ran a 4.6/40.

Downfall to Miller is price, his current ADP according to MFL is 44.72 opposed to Bell at 56.79.

Also, Baltimore added Pro-Bowler Dumervil and Suggs is back from injury. They now have Courtney Upshaw to back up Dumervil. They could end up among the top in the league in pass rush.

Miller is hyped quite a bit this year, but for good reason. The Dolphins made Reggie Bush look like a runningback. I'm not buying into the hype on Bell just yet.

ExperiencedRookie

Oh my goodness. What shocking news! Well, since nothing ever changes, I guess I stand corrected now.

All kidding aside...

Cobb has had 1 good year, and it wasn't even that great. Didn't get to the 1k mark or double digit TDs, territory Fitz has been in time after time. I look for Fitz to bounce back in a big way this year. He had the worst year of his career since his rookie season. Hardly the merits to judge him by.

Cobb really only has situation as his big upside, and his situation can even come with some negative. Yes, GB will gain a ton of yards and score a lot of TDs, but he's sharing the load with more players. Fitz is the only show in town. I see him as more of a candidate for 1400 and 10 TDs than Cobb.

There! I eloborated. Happy now?