Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas Declares

dannywest

Florida Skunk Apes
January was a busy month for me so unfortunately I was unable to comment on this before now.
Being a fan of the Ramblin' Reck, I've had the privilege of watching Mr. Thomas play every Saturday and I've known for quite some time just how good this young man is and, perhaps more importantly, how great he's going to be. With that said, my feelings on him declaring for the draft are an echo to when Calvin Johnson declared, while disappointed that he won't be back for his senior year and to redeem a dropped pass in a potential game winning drive against UGA, I am very excited to see what this kid will do for the NFL organization that is wise enough to take him and regardless of the team, I will continue to cheer for this kid throughout his career.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Just posted it in the mock draft thread as well, but here is my take on Thomas. Here is what I see with Thomas that concerns me. He comes from an offense that runs the ball down your throat and does not pass....forcing teams to load up to stop the running threat. This leaves the one passing threat they have 1-1 on the outside. When watching his highlights, his catches rarely are contested or in traffic. They are usually from broken coverage due to the element of shock that they are actually passing. I do not think there was one catch I saw in the highlights in which there was a double team around him.

I think it is much easier to impress when you are not the focus of the offense. Make him face a balanced defense and I think he struggles. Not having to catch in traffic is going to be something that hurts him in the long run. The adjustment he will need to make at the next level is much greater than most WR's.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Let's just call him the Irving Fryar of this generation and call it good.. I'm a huge fan of WR's who block downfield (Hines), and this guy should be more than proficient at that, as well.
I think he'll wind up being a very solid #2 after he gets used to being much more of the center of attention than he was at Tech. A prototypical "3rd year WR breakout" type of guy.

DearbornDolfan

Let's just call him the Irving Fryar of this generation and call it good.. I'm a huge fan of WR's who block downfield (Hines), and this guy should be more than proficient at that, as well.
I think he'll wind up being a very solid #2 after he gets used to being much more of the center of attention than he was at Tech. A prototypical "3rd year WR breakout" type of guy.

I think he'll be much more than a #2. Like you said, not only is he a willing blocker, he's damned good at it. Added to his list of attributes is that he goes and gets the ball when it's not perfectly thrown, he's fast enough that when his route running technique is refined he's going to give NFL corners real challenges in keeping up with him, he's very shifty snaking his way through a defense on screens and underneath routes (which tells me he has the hips to be a nasty route runner when he learns the tree), and he's not some prima donna who refuses to be coached because he knows how good he is. Oh yeah, and he's a physical freak.

Yeah, he's raw in his route knowledge, but that can be an asset because he won't have any bad habits to break when it comes time to teach him the craft.