Fitz willing to restructure to make more money available for Boldin

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Dan Patrick reported on his radio show today that Fitz is willing to restructure to clear some room for Boldin. They need to do what they can to keep this duo together.

Runnik's Hambones

OMG! I cannot tell you how much respect I just gained for Fitz. This makes me very happy. I think that if anyone should be on the same page, it needs to be Fitz and Boldin. Wow, I'm very impressed with this move by Fitz.

Mike

Administrator
Should this money go toward Boldin though, or should it be going toward bringing in a franchise running back?

Or, is there room for both?

I liked it better when we had more access to NFL salary information.

Runnik's Hambones

I think it goes to Boldin, as I think it should. I honestly think that the Cardinals have 2 RBs that they can actually use and be successful with. I don't know why nobody has faith in Edge and Hightower. I understand that Edge wanted out but perhaps they can talk him into coming back if they give that guy 250 carries, and yes, I believe he can handle 250 carries next year! Hightower, GL back. They'll be fine with that.

Mike

Administrator
What if Edge truly wants out though? There is no way they can succeed without an upgrade from Hightower.

Runnik's Hambones

I agree with you there Mike. It would come down to if Edge would be willing to remain in Arizona. If not, then yes, you need to invest elsewhere. Hightower cannot carry that team.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
First, yes I think the money goes to Boldin. I like Breaston, but Boldin helps make Fitzgerald and visa versa.

As for Rb, I think Edge is gone. I don't have an issue with Hightower, but could see a move to draft a young RB to support him and be change of pace.

Mike

Administrator
I like Boldin, excellent receiver, just not sure if that should be the focus of the team.

Without Boldin, against Buffalo and Dallas (when these were considered very good teams), the Cardinals won both games, with Breaston stepping into Boldin's role and performing very nicely.

Fitz is the #1, the true #1 and an amazing playmaker. He also comes at a high salary.

Remember, if Fitz restructures, he isn't taking less money, he is taking a bonus and extending out a different contract.

Add Boldin in at #1 receiver money, and you suddenly have a large portion of the salary cap, over the next few years, being invested in two receivers.

They may have Warner for another season, that is probably about it.

So, looking just as far as 2010, your team has two #1 receivers taking up a ton of salary, potentially no quarterback unless Leinart grows up, and you are losing Steve Breaston, who is a restricted free agent.

Are you building for one more year, or are you going to try and build this team to be on top for multiple years? Keeping Boldin tells me you are interested in one year, becuse the Cardinals are going to be in a bind in 2010 with him.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Mike Sando of ESPN reported that Arizona's GM, Rod Graves, views Bolid as a core player of the organization and hopes to improve the relationship between Boldin and the team during a meeting following the season.

Mike

Administrator
Mike Sando of ESPN reported that Arizona's GM, Rod Graves, views Bolid as a core player of the organization and hopes to improve the relationship between Boldin and the team during a meeting following the season.

And after the season is when these reporters really need to focus on this subject. I know that isn't going to happen, but damn, let these guys play the biggest game of their life without this type of distraction.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
And after the season is when these reporters really need to focus on this subject. I know that isn't going to happen, but damn, let these guys play the biggest game of their life without this type of distraction.
It's media day.....you really didn't expect this stuff not to come up did ya ;)

Mike

Administrator
LOL, I know it's coming up, just wish there was a little more respect for things like this. [/hates media]

Remote Controller

Gil Brandt nailed it on Sirius NFL network today when he role played it. He was asked that question, and he responded. "So Fitz you are saying you'd take less money to keep Boldin"

"No, I'm saying you can restructure, give me bonus money, and I will free up some jack"

"We don't need that Fitz, as the whole Collective Bargaining thing expires next year. If you don't want to give up something that actually helps, then just stick to catching the ball, and kicking ass, and i will work on signing Boldin."

Okay.....I agree this was a nice thing for Fitz to say, but it really doesn't do much..

Mike

Administrator
how did he force his way into a contract? Compromising pictures? loaded gun at the time of the discussion? ;)

Probably had nothing to do with the fact the team knew this guy would be turning into an NFL phenom during the playoffs......

DearbornDolfan

When did Boldin go from selfless to selfish? Because he wants to be on the field when it matters? I mean, just on the field, the guy would've been happy making blocks. I wouldn't want a receiver that didn't want to be on the field. I wouldn't want a football player who didn't want to be on the field.