FA Signing: FA signings - and ongoing rumors

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Rumors have C.J. Spiller maybe signing with Saints, to take over former Sproles role?

bodey24

Staff member
Wow, just Wow, why would you take Matthews if you were going to push for Murray, unless they are using one or other for trade bait???
Matthews hasn't signrd his contract so if they sign murray either side can still back out. Matthews and tbe Eagles have only "agreed" to a deal.

Also, Murray said he will consider a last minute from the Cowboys. I'm guessing he's using the Eagles to get dallas to match their price. If dallas doesn't budge he will most likely sign with philly.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Matthews hasn't signrd his contract so if they sign murray either side can still back out. Matthews and tbe Eagles have only "agreed" to a deal.

Also, Murray said he will consider a last minute from the Cowboys. I'm guessing he's using the Eagles to get dallas to match their price. If dallas doesn't budge he will most likely sign with philly.

The way I saw the story unfolding yesterday had Mathews agreeing to a deal and got on a flight for Philly. During the time he would be in the air, stories came in of Murray trying to sell himself on the Eagles. Naturally the Eagles say yeah let's talk.

I imagine Mathews lands, hears the news and is all "wtf Chip?"
I don't blame him waiting to see what happens today.

cctekguy

Staff member
Oh, I dunno.

Ya tell a guy he's got a job, he flies across the country to sign the papers and then, oops, sorry. Found another guy.

The bad decision still exists but honoring your word ought to count for something.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If he has been signed, which I am still trying to confirm, then you will see Sproles dealt or cut, and then see Mathews take that role, which is actually a better role for him, plus you have a solid replacement if Murray misses time.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay lets get caught up from yesterday....
Jets fix secondary by signing Cb Cromartie and S Gilchrist
Brandon Browner signs with Saints
Orakpo is going to Tennessee
Nate Allen to Raiders
Justin Forsett stays with Baltimore
Jordan Cameron signs with Miami - insurance for loss of Clay??
Akeem Ayers to Rams - wow I like what Rams have done so far this off-season....
Terrance Knighton to Redskins

Again, alot of movement, but I still have not seen confirmation of Matthews

cctekguy

Staff member
From Rotoworld:

Eagles signed RB Ryan Mathews, formerly of the Chargers, to a three-year, $11.5 million contract.

Despite a pricey investment into DeMarco Murray, the Eagles kept Mathews at their facility and convinced him to stay, likely as the 1b to Murray's 1a. We don't see either addition affecting Darren Sproles; Sproles is a specialized role player who can't be replaced by Murray or Mathews. The Eagles are very likely planning to become a smashmouth power-based team whose foundation is the running game. Mathews has been brittle throughout his career, but is among the most naturally gifted inside runners in football. In Chip Kelly's high-volume, up-tempo offense, we wouldn't be surprised if Mathews carved out sporadic low-end RB2/flex fantasy value behind locked-in RB1 Murray. 32-year-old Sproles' usage shouldn't change much after a 97-touch season.

Phicinfan

Administrator
no big surprise, but Jets have cut P.Harvin and Colts have cut Trent Richardson

DearbornDolfan

Word I hear is that Buffalo doesn't intend to present Clay with an offer sheet until tomorrow, at which point the Phins have 5 days to match it. Both Wallace and Ellerbe (ugh) have been in negotiations to rework their contracts to be more cap friendly. Dolphins are going to try to keep Clay.

I'm kinda digging this front office.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Word I hear is that Buffalo doesn't intend to present Clay with an offer sheet until tomorrow, at which point the Phins have 5 days to match it. Both Wallace and Ellerbe (ugh) have been in negotiations to rework their contracts to be more cap friendly. Dolphins are going to try to keep Clay.

I'm kinda digging this front office.
I have also heard they are still negotiating with Clay on a long term deal.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Kenny Stills traded to Miami for Ellerbe and a 3rd round pick.

Saints are bailing on this season.....don't know why. Wonder if this is the end of Wallace in Miami?

Fasano signed by Tenn.
Fairley to Rams