Eagles, Giants are current front runners to land Boldin?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
a few things

1) you are far overplaying the whole boldin-had-no-competition card. boldin's rookie year 2003 was just him. in 2004 fitz was already on the team. there was only that one rookie year, a year in which boldin was a top 5 receiver in the league (at least stats wise). any of the times i compared stats were over the past 4 years where both of them were the starting WR2 behind fitz and 85.

2) regarding the injuries, i honestly think id prefer the "major" injuries. having sinuses exploded and tearing a knee meniscus are not those sort of injuries that recur. they are freak accidents and you move on. boldin tends to play through anything on the low scale of injuries, whereas TJ frequently misses a couple of games.

3) you are absolutely right that i havent seen TJ play much. i make no effort to hide that. im going off the numbers here. and i also contend that you havent seen boldin play much but you did see fitz play this offseason, and he is clearly the long and deep threat while boldin is the short and over the middle threat. its a pretty similar set-up in both places i think.

4) youre right, i havent really mentioned the price. ive just focused on the two players, and the price isnt at all the same. boldin costs more, but imo he should and hes worth it. housh is a solid player but looks like a stop gap measure, a guy you dont need to pay a ton of money for. on the right team (like new england or indy in the slot) he could be deadly, but most teams dont really take advantage of the skill set he brings, or they do so little enough that they can do like miami did and snag a davone bess off waivers after the draft is over. not that TJ = bess, but you're not snagging a boldin caliber of talent off waivers. there are only probably 10 people with his game breaking ability, and if that's available, then sometimes i think you pay the price to get that.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
a few things

1) you are far overplaying the whole boldin-had-no-competition card. boldin's rookie year 2003 was just him. in 2004 fitz was already on the team. there was only that one rookie year, a year in which boldin was a top 5 receiver in the league (at least stats wise). any of the times i compared stats were over the past 4 years where both of them were the starting WR2 behind fitz and 85.
We can agree to disagree, but Fitz was not Fitz his rookie year either. Nor do you address the fact that cincy was more run oriented than pass. Pass orientation did not happen really until after Carson was established.

2) regarding the injuries, i honestly think id prefer the "major" injuries. having sinuses exploded and tearing a knee meniscus are not those sort of injuries that recur. they are freak accidents and you move on. boldin tends to play through anything on the low scale of injuries, whereas TJ frequently misses a couple of games.
I looked. Both have shown tendancies to miss games. Call it freak or whatever....it is what it is. You assert Boldin is tougher ...I disagree there...as T.J. is the guy in the middle taking the punishment in cincy as well.

3) you are absolutely right that i havent seen TJ play much. i make no effort to hide that. im going off the numbers here. and i also contend that you havent seen boldin play much but you did see fitz play this offseason, and he is clearly the long and deep threat while boldin is the short and over the middle threat. its a pretty similar set-up in both places i think.
Yes it is now. I agree. However, when T.J. was getting established it was not. It was run first in cincy.

4) youre right, i havent really mentioned the price. ive just focused on the two players, and the price isnt at all the same. boldin costs more, but imo he should and hes worth it. housh is a solid player but looks like a stop gap measure, a guy you dont need to pay a ton of money for. on the right team (like new england or indy in the slot) he could be deadly, but most teams dont really take advantage of the skill set he brings, or they do so little enough that they can do like miami did and snag a davone bess off waivers after the draft is over. not that TJ = bess, but you're not snagging a boldin caliber of talent off waivers. there are only probably 10 people with his game breaking ability, and if that's available, then sometimes i think you pay the price to get that.

And here is where you missed our point. I would never say T.J. is a better receiver than Boldin. Not in a million years. I WOULD say that due to cost, and team needs, T.J. is probably the best fit for Philly over Boldin. Again, they need the tall strong reciever who makes the up the middle catches, not saying Boldin can't, but why give up multiple picks when you don't have to?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Just one thing to add on the injury history of these two: Housh has a reoccurring Hammy injury that seems to sneak up every year and never go away for long. That would concern me more than the two major injuries Boldin has had. But overall I do agree that they are a wash from an injury standpoint.