Eagles, Giants are current front runners to land Boldin?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that the Eagles and Giants are the current front runners to land disgruntled Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin. Clayton believes that the Boldin trade demands will be met and calls the Eagles the early favorite. The compensation is expected to be in the area of a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick and the Eagles have two first round picks in this year's draft (21st & 28th); whereas the Giants do not pick until the 29th pick.

This would have big fantasy implications all around, Steve Breston takes a huge leap and so would the QB aquiring Boldin as a target.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
:wow:

As an Eagles fan I am absolutely torn here. I love Boldin, and how he plays. But I hate giving up picks, when Houshmandzadah is out there waiting to be signed. Yes the Eagles have a spare first rounder. But they could use those to trade up for a top OT, or potentially get a back up Rb like Moreno or TE in the later of the round.

Still, to get a Boldin......man.....

:woohoo1:

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
:wow:

As an Eagles fan I am absolutely torn here. I love Boldin, and how he plays. But I hate giving up picks, when Houshmandzadah is out there waiting to be signed.

I'm much more excited about the prospect of signing a FA TJ Houshmandzadeh than trading valuable picks to sign Anquan Boldin.

I see Boldin as a desperation move if TJ is franchised or unattainable.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
i dunno, i think boldin would fit very well with jackson and curtis.

i hate giving up picks too, but he's a beast

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
:koolaid: Boldin, please go to the Eagles. I have D.McNabb as my primary QB on my dynasty team. I also acquired S.Breaston via a trade. This is the best news i've had all week.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
do we really think boldin and houshmandzadeh are in the same talent pool? i sure dont. boldin is a game changer and one of the most skilled receivers in the game. he is TO without nearly half as many issues. housh is a nice guy to have on your team, great hands, good routes, but not a guy thats going to change a lot of games if you ask me. we're looking at the difference between randy moss and wes welker here imo.

Phicinfan

Administrator
do we really think boldin and houshmandzadeh are in the same talent pool? i sure dont. boldin is a game changer and one of the most skilled receivers in the game. he is TO without nearly half as many issues. housh is a nice guy to have on your team, great hands, good routes, but not a guy thats going to change a lot of games if you ask me. we're looking at the difference between randy moss and wes welker here imo.
I don't know that I agree with all this.

Yes, Boldin is special, but so is T.J.

I guess my point is what the Eagles need more. Do they need another down field expert (already have jackson and Curtis) or do they need the guy who will go over the middle and be the big red zone target. I like T.J. and his fit in Philly alot.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football

I disagree.

I like both of these players and would be happy to have either of them on the Eagles, but why is Boldin so much better than TJ? TJ is the better pure WR than Boldin is - A. Boldin only catches passes a few yards from the line of scrimmage and almost never anything past 15 yards at the point of the catch.

He is very good at what he does (run after catch), but he is not really a conventional WR. TJ is a better true wideout down the field, a better route runner etc. and I'd be very curious to see what he could do on a team like the Eagles. All things being equal it's a tough call... I might prefer TJ to be honest.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
I disagree.

I like both of these players and would be happy to have either of them on the Eagles, but why is Boldin so much better than TJ? TJ is the better pure WR than Boldin is - A. Boldin only catches passes a few yards from the line of scrimmage and almost never anything past 15 yards at the point of the catch.

He is very good at what he does (run after catch), but he is not really a conventional WR. TJ is a better true wideout down the field, a better route runner etc. and I'd be very curious to see what he could do on a team like the Eagles. All things being equal it's a tough call... I might prefer TJ to be honest.

im not sure the numbers agree with you.

yards per catch -- boldin's career 12.9 is far better than housh's 11.4. in fact TJ's number is pretty low for a receiver with that many catches.

TDs -- boldin has 31 the last four years, and housh has 32. both in pass happy offenses. we'll call it even.

health -- neither is much of a beacon of health here. both guys seem to miss a few games every year and play with nagging injuries the others.

explosiveness -- housh has been in the league longer and has 13 games of 100+ receiving yards. boldin has played in 24 less games but has 24 games of 100+ yards. over the past four years while both have been in their prime and healthy starters, housh has 52 catches for 20+ yards and 4 for 40+ yards. over that same time, boldin has 63 catches for 20+ yards and 13 for 40+.

consistency -- housh had a huge career year last year but otherwise seems to settle in at 80-90 catches for 900-1000 yards. boldin consistently puts up 75-100 yards a game most seasons. in fact, boldin has the highest YPG ouput of any receiver in nfl history right now with 81 yards per game (compared to TJ's 56).

age -- boldin is 28 and in his prime. TJ is 31 and thusly he's near the end of his prime, at best.

being "the man" -- TJ has never done it before and really struggled and disappeared most of this season when 85 wasn't doing much. boldin had 100 catches, 1375 yards, and 8 TDs when he was playing with a terrible qb and no other wrs (the year before fitz was drafted).

maybe boldin catches a lot of short passes and just tries to run after the catch with them, but maybe that also has to do with his role on an offense with a guy who stretches the field -- that's true for both of these guys. boldin has put up consistently top WR numbers his whole career whenever he's been healthy. TJ has had a nice career, but is it anything special? if you take out last year's great career season, tell me what i'm missing here:

01 - 21 rec 228 yds 0 TD
02 - 41 rec 492 yds 1 TD
03 - injured
04 - 73 rec 978 yds 4 TD
05 - 78 rec 956 yds 7 TD
06 - 90 rec 1081 yds 9 TD
07 - career year
08 - 92 rec 904 yds 4 TD

housh is a nice player with sure hands and a reliable target that has been playing in the right system on the right team.

anquan boldin is a star franchise receiver who can change the outlook of an entire offense and team if used correctly. not comprable by any standard i can see.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
in simplified terms...

anquan boldin : terrell owens :: tj houshmandzadeh : keenan mccardell

yeah they're all nice players, but which two of those names are going to put a stamp on a franchise? just look at the career arcs. the comparison doesnt exist, unless you think TJ is going to show us something at age 32 that we simply havent seen from him yet.

Phicinfan

Administrator
in simplified terms...

anquan boldin : terrell owens :: tj houshmandzadeh : keenan mccardell

yeah they're all nice players, but which two of those names are going to put a stamp on a franchise? just look at the career arcs. the comparison doesnt exist, unless you think TJ is going to show us something at age 32 that we simply havent seen from him yet.
We can agree to disagree. I find alot of your points of view slanted. But whatever. Boldin is going nowhere and if the Eagles can get T.J. I am most excited. Also please note Boldin has more injury history than T.J.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
As much as it pains me.....I think I agree with bomb here. Don't get me wrong, I love Housh! I hope we figure out a way to keep him. But if I was picking between Boldin or Housh, it's Boldin every day of the week. TJ is a great compliment to a great WR, but I still have questions about him being THE man. He rarely sees the top coverage package from the defense due to COC being on the other side. If he's suddenly the focus of the attention it will be interesting to see how he will adjust.

As far as Boldin, guy can take it to the house anytime he touches it. He's on of the best RAC receivers in the league. The injury history is a wash, but Boldin's skill allow him to be the man IMO more than Housh.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
lol, its hard to call points of view "slanted" when they are just numbers and facts.

as for health, TJ has played 8 season in the NFL and has played all 16 games just 3 times. boldin has played all sixteen in 2 of his 6 seasons. boldin missed time for more serious injuries (torn knee meniscus in 04 and then the wicked sinus thing this year), but those look like fluky injuries to me. either way, housh probably has a slight edge here, but it makes sense when you look at a far more physical WR like boldin.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I can fully understand the arguments for Boldin and I'm torn between the two. The negative is that you have to give away draft picks but the positive is that he is 3 years younger and a tremendous RAC receiver.

I have questions about whether a RAC receiver OR T.J. can be a true #1, but I can't be concerned with that. Our #1s have typically been guys like Todd Pinkston, James Thrash, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis and Donte Stallworth. At this point even guys like Anthony Gonzalez look like first ballot hall of famers.

Just gimme a WR!! :runaround:

Phicinfan

Administrator
lol, its hard to call points of view "slanted" when they are just numbers and facts.

as for health, TJ has played 8 season in the NFL and has played all 16 games just 3 times. boldin has played all sixteen in 2 of his 6 seasons. boldin missed time for more serious injuries (torn knee meniscus in 04 and then the wicked sinus thing this year), but those look like fluky injuries to me. either way, housh probably has a slight edge here, but it makes sense when you look at a far more physical WR like boldin.
Numbers are numbers. Correct. YOUR interpretation of the number though is slanted. As such, I will respond to that post directly.

Phicinfan

Administrator
im not sure the numbers agree with you.
Okay, lets see.

yards per catch -- boldin's career 12.9 is far better than housh's 11.4. in fact TJ's number is pretty low for a receiver with that many catches.
yes, YPC is lower. However, please note in Cincy's system, Housh was they under receiver, not the deep threat. He was the guy who was targeted in coverage, and the quick out to the side line. It will effect his numbers here some.

TDs -- boldin has 31 the last four years, and housh has 32. both in pass happy offenses. we'll call it even.
I am willing to call this even. However, boldin had NO competition for the ball until Fitz got there. That has NEVER been the case with Housh. Also please remember that up until two - three years ago...cincy was a run first offense, with Dillon and Rudi the focus of the offense.

health -- neither is much of a beacon of health here. both guys seem to miss a few games every year and play with nagging injuries the others.
Housh has never had a major injury. In this first year he was not a starter, and did not become a starter until after the season started. So the 12 games started is a mis-nomer their. I agree though, both are pretty tough and play hurt. But Boldin does have the bad knee injury and face injury.

explosiveness -- housh has been in the league longer and has 13 games of 100+ receiving yards. boldin has played in 24 less games but has 24 games of 100+ yards. over the past four years while both have been in their prime and healthy starters, housh has 52 catches for 20+ yards and 4 for 40+ yards. over that same time, boldin has 63 catches for 20+ yards and 13 for 40+.
Here is where interpretation is the issue.

First let me say I DO believe Boldin is clearly the more explosive.

But again the focus of Housh's career has been as the guy who gets you over the first down marker. He was the possession receiver, who made the incredibly tough catches over the middle in traffic. Add to that Housh has never been the SOLE focus of the passing offense as Boldin has. Up until Fitz came along...Boldin WAS the man. In Cincy, Housh has been the #2 to Chad most the time. In my opinion though....Housh is the #1 in cincy now, and last year...not Chad. Look at what he accoplished when that switched. Even with the horrible offense last year.

consistency -- housh had a huge career year last year but otherwise seems to settle in at 80-90 catches for 900-1000 yards. boldin consistently puts up 75-100 yards a game most seasons. in fact, boldin has the highest YPG ouput of any receiver in nfl history right now with 81 yards per game (compared to TJ's 56).
I don't know how you can award consistancy to Boldin. Great rookie year, then hurt next year, then comes back but with no competition, dips slighty the next year then solid be not spectacular years after that.

Housh has consistantly improved every year he has started up until last year...which in My opinion isn't his fault.

age -- boldin is 28 and in his prime. TJ is 31 and thusly he's near the end of his prime, at best.
I fully agree, Boldin is a beast and age gives him the edge. No question.

However, I don't think that is the need in Philly. They drafted Jackson to be the star long threat/game breaker. What they direly need is the guy you can COUNT on to make the needed first down catch over the middle regardless of who hits who. That my friend is Housh.

being "the man" -- TJ has never done it before and really struggled and disappeared most of this season when 85 wasn't doing much. boldin had 100 catches, 1375 yards, and 8 TDs when he was playing with a terrible qb and no other wrs (the year before fitz was drafted).
Boldin WAS the man in Arizona, he is no longer that. He definately could be though on probably any other team. I contend that for the last two years Housh HAS been the man in cincy. Yes Chad has been there....but he disappears way too much, and has been a major distraction. Housh has taken the load, and carried the passing game as well. I also call out that in Philly, they don't want the "MAN" they had that in T.O. and it made them too one dimensional. Westbrook and McNabb are the "MEN" on that offense. Jackson and whoever they can get will be the extra pieces to put them over.

maybe boldin catches a lot of short passes and just tries to run after the catch with them, but maybe that also has to do with his role on an offense with a guy who stretches the field -- that's true for both of these guys. boldin has put up consistently top WR numbers his whole career whenever he's been healthy. TJ has had a nice career, but is it anything special? if you take out last year's great career season, tell me what i'm missing here:

01 - 21 rec 228 yds 0 TD - not a starter
02 - 41 rec 492 yds 1 TD - not a starter
03 - injured
04 - 73 rec 978 yds 4 TD - starter with Chad as focus
05 - 78 rec 956 yds 7 TD - starter with Chad as focus
06 - 90 rec 1081 yds 9 TD - Starting to take over
07 - career year - basically takes over
08 - 92 rec 904 yds 4 TD - Where was chad? Oh, he took over never mind.
[\quote]

I see consistantly getting better and taking focus from the other top reciever. You don't see that...but then again you probably don't see many of the Bengals games.

housh is a nice player with sure hands and a reliable target that has been playing in the right system on the right team.

anquan boldin is a star franchise receiver who can change the outlook of an entire offense and team if used correctly. not comprable by any standard i can see.
Views differ on how you see it. I also call out you totally miss the whole point of what Birdman and I have stated on cost. Boldin if he were to be traded would cost multiple picks, at least ONE first. Housh can be had for cash....and keep the picks. For what the Eagles need...I think that weighs in Housh's favor.