DSTs Get No Respect

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
On another note, Gostkowski was the #1 kicker drafted and finished #1 with an averge of 10.2 ppg.....I think I smell keeper ;)

cctekguy

Staff member
Not sure where your numbers come from, Miller or how DSTs are scored, but in the PFL Seattle scored 244 pts over 15 games for an average of 16.2 pts per game.
They scored under 10 pts 3 weeks and over 20 pts 5 weeks.

As a comparison, Adrian Peterson scored 244 pts over 15 games for an average 16.2 pts per game. He had 5 weeks under 10 pts and 7 weeks over 20.

So spin it all you like, getting AP numbers from a DST is well worth a #10 in redraft, in my opinion.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Spin? How is bringing stats into a debate spin? Ok, how about KC who outscored Seattle? You burning a good pick there?

And Seattle in a restart, your talking an 8th.....not 10th....you burning that?

As far as scoring systems, I used a pretty basic scoring system. If they avereaged 16 PTS s gm, that sounds like s more unique system and u would have to adjust for that....I would ask though, what is the seperation from Seattle to the #10 d?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
And your still not addressing the inconsistencies from year to year st the position.....

cctekguy

Staff member
It's spin, not because 0f the stats, but because most of your other points apply to every position.

Seattle D (I don't mean to belabor Sea. Just the name that stands out as one of the best) Has been solid 2 years. Ravens and Bears had nice runs, though both struggled this year. SF and Car. will both be good next year. I would take any of those 3 (not Bears or Ravens) to plug in and forget next season....AT a 10-12 round pick.

Citing inconsistencies in fantasy is silly. Which position doesn't have them? (ok...maybe that kicker you are keeping). I can show you just as many 1-3 round RBs that got out performed by ww RBs this season. That's every year and every position.

As far as point difference between 1-10? Not sure. I don't have the "all fantasy stats all the time" website you're referencing so you tell me, but be fair and also list 1-10 RB, QB, TE, & WR. I'd bet it's pretty close to DSTs, though with your DSTs averaging 7 pts a game I'm not sure.

In fact, this whole discussion could be a result of different scoring. I remember the SOFFLII scoring system (start @ 5 and go up or down) and I can see your point a little more clearly. In PFL we start @ 24 and it goes down quickly, barring TDs so a system that favors DSTs would obviously make more sense to invest earlier in a DST.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
One, you are right, scoring systems will play a part.....what you continue to avoid and dance around is the lack of seperation. It's not just the inconsistencies, which again I disagree, is statistically wider in D's; it's that coupled with the smaller statistical variance (which is greatened by the fact you only need 1).

And I am not saying your wrong to target someone like Seattle....there will be someone in every league that takes a defense in the 7-9 rd as the first D....so you are not alone.....I just dont think it's the best value strategy.....just very limited upside.

cctekguy

Staff member
Limited upside is a great point too.

Even though our views (and scoring) differ in how significant a D will be in helping your team, the is clearly no "Jimmy Graham" of DSTs.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The PFL Scoring for Defensive Categories

DFR Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 2 points
DTD Total Defensive and Special Teams TD 6 points
Int Interceptions 2 points

PA Points Against, Total Points Scored 0 - 0 PAs = 12 points (meaning that shutting an opponent out gives a DST a 4 point bonus)
1 - 6 PA = 8 points
7 - 13 PA = 6 points
14 - 20 PA = 4 points
21 - 27 PA = 2 points

SACK Sack 1 point
STY Safety 2 points
YDS Yards Allowed 0 - 49 YDSs = 12 points
50 - 99 YDSs = 10 points
100 - 149 YDSs = 8 points
150 - 199 YDSs = 6 points
200 - 249 YDSs = 4 points
250 - 299 YDSs = 2 points

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
hmmm, hadn't looked at that, have never seen a DST getting pts for both yards allowed AND pts allowed. That explains some of the scoring extra high pts

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Haven't weighed in on this, but I see Tekie's point.

I am old school, I want solid contributions in all facets of my team. Made a big trade in HG to get Graham just for that reason, saw he was the next big thing and paid a dear price to get him.

That being said I also agree with Miller, the variability in DST makes it hard to make that big lean. Yes, most of us saw Seattle as a top D. but those top Ds don't always stay on top. There was a 33pt gap overall from KC #1 in HG vs. Seattle #2. 20pt difference overall from #2 Seattle and #8 San Fran. I just don't see the value of an 8th or so round draft pick when I can get San Fran or Buffalo much later and gain in other areas with the earlier pick.

That being said though, I don't wait til the end of my draft to grab D though, PK yes, but not D.

Arctic Dawgs

I would rather start the run than be sucking hind tit. depends on who is still on the board as far as drafting though. Rather have a top starting D than a 4th/5th WR for my bench