Dallas may release TO

GBG

Loser
Improving locker room chemistry will be the highest priority for the Dallas Cowboys this offseason and that will force serious discussions between Wade Phillips' coaching staff and owner Jerry Jones about whether to release controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens, according to team and league sources.

"I think we all know that chemistry is the problem with this team more than the schemes or anything else,'' a Cowboys source said. "Are we going to continue to allow talent to outweigh everything else in the decisions we make with players and putting the roster together? We're like the Redskins used to be when they signed every player they wanted. There's more to it than talent. It has to be more about the team.''
"The big one [Owens] didn't get discussed yet, but I'm sure it will and real hard.''

The Cowboys released twice-suspended cornerback Pacman Jones last week and Tank Johnson is expected to depart through free agency. Both decisions are at least partly related to the renewed emphasis on creating a different atmosphere in the locker room. The Cowboys began their ill-fated 2008 season with three players on the roster who had been suspended by the league or their previous teams -- Jones, Johnson and Owens.

At least two sources believe that vice president Stephen Jones will attempt to convince his father that Owens should be finished with the Cowboys. But Jerry Jones just last year invested a $12 million signing bonus in Owens, which means there would be salary-cap fallout. In fact, Jerry Jones has suggested that there might be enough damage that the team would find it difficult to sign NFL sack leader DeMarcus Ware to a new contract.

"I think some of people want to just cut our losses and get rid of all those guys _ TO, Tank, Pacman,'' another Cowboys source said. "But I really think Jerry likes the thrill of trying to make it all work."

The discussions involving Owens have not yet been formally initiated and probably will not occur until the Cowboys are more certain of the composition of their coaching staff.

More

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This one boggles my mind. Did not Jerry Jones just come out not too long ago and state Chemistry is overrated as an issue? TO was not the problem in Dallas. The problem was not running more, and getting Roy more involved. Still, my guess is this is more cap related than chemistry related.

SC#20

Dominator!
My guess is its a rumor. I do not see this happening, TO is not the problem, coaching is the problem.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Fortunately its an Ed Werder story, so I don't have to feel obligated to put a lot of stock in it. BUT, if this turns out to be solid, I think the bigger story is Garrett pushing conditions as if he were already the head coach.

Remote Controller

It'll likely come down to this.

• -- T.O. More Expensive to Cut Under the Cap Than Keep --
    Thu Jan 15, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com​
  • The Dallas morning News reports last June, the Cowboys paid WR Terrell Owens a $12.9 million signing bonus as part of a four-year, $36 million contract. Should the Cowboys cut Owens, he would count $680,000 more against the '09 cap than the $8.99 million he is scheduled to count if he stays. And because this is the last capped season, the Cowboys cannot spread out the hit over two seasons like teams were able to do previously. This June, Owens is due a $3.1 million roster bonus, so the Cowboys do not have to be in a rush to make a move.

Mike

Administrator
ffmastermind doesn't know what this is, but I do ;)

Any time that Dallas Cowboys management wants to leak a story for nothing more than public reaction, they make sure Ed Werder hears it somehow, so it will immediately hit the media, and they can get fan reaction. This is why Werder "misses" more than he "hits". Dude runs with everything, while others sit back and try report things that are more factual.

Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, and specific members of the coaching staff will monitor the fan reaction to this, and if it is overwhelmingly in favor of kicking Owens to the curb, he will be gone, and Werder will be the guy that broke a story. If the sentiment from the fans is to keep him, he will stay and Werder will once again look stupid.

Dallas is officially opening a new stadium, and they need their fans to be behind them 100%. The Owens decision will be based on fan reaction to this "intentional leak"

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I'd move him along in the uncapped year. I think you'll see alot of that in the uncapped year.

Owens IS a problem, but I think in the interim it's best just to keep him for one more year

Jerry Jones thinks he can train a skunk, to the point that once his last "sprayin'" escapes his memory, he sneaks up on one and tickles it like it was the first time.

find some patio furniture Jerry and work out your sexual tension in private

eaglechick

I'm back :)
i don't see how TO has been bad for the chemistry in dallas, and he is a hard-working, talented player. why would you cut him?

Mr. Hack

Local MMA Guru
They can't lose TO just yet... like Mike said, they are too focused on pleasing the fans, and like it or not TO is a crowd favorite and will fill the seats.

Having said that, if he doesn't get his shit together, I hope they give him the boot.

bodey24

Staff member
As a Cowboys fan, I dont mind T.O. Sure he gets a little drama going on in the locker room but when he is on the field, he is working harder than anyone else on the field. I actually hope Dallas does keep him for another year. I am not a fan of Tony Romo at all. He seems to be the celebrity QB that Parcells told him he doesnt want to be. And towards the end of each season hes awful. I dont see how you can go from being as good as he is at the beginning of the season to as bad as he always is at the end of the season.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
They can't lose TO just yet... like Mike said, they are too focused on pleasing the fans, and like it or not TO is a crowd favorite and will fill the seats.

Having said that, if he doesn't get his shit together, I hope they give him the boot.

Sounds like the fans want to see him go, but I really question how much criticism toward him is justified and how much is fueled by Werder's personal little witch hunt.

Coachnorm

The punishments left little incentive for promptness. Fines for being late or missing meetings and injury treatment sessions were far lower under Phillips than they were under former coach Bill Parcells.

Under Parcells, players were fined $5,000 for being late to meetings, and as much as $12,000 for missing an injury treatment session.

This season, players were fined $100 for being late to meetings or missing a treatment.

The team charter left late for road games five times this season because players were late to the airport according to three sources.

Coachnorm

A lot of great points made here so far. Most are good and part of the puzzle. This one deserves good consideration. TO will fill the seats. While Cowboy fans will generally be trying to go to every game but when it comes to nosebleed seats and a sellout TO will sell out those seats in a heartbeat. If you love him you will be there to vote vocally with your cheers. If you hate him you will come to vote vocally with your boos. Being there to voice your vote can't be done while watching the game on TV

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The punishments left little incentive for promptness. Fines for being late or missing meetings and injury treatment sessions were far lower under Phillips than they were under former coach Bill Parcells.

Under Parcells, players were fined $5,000 for being late to meetings, and as much as $12,000 for missing an injury treatment session.

This season, players were fined $100 for being late to meetings or missing a treatment.

The team charter left late for road games five times this season because players were late to the airport according to three sources.
They were talking about this on the radio today, one Dallas player stated he can't remember the last time the charter left on time and they said that many times they were told it was being held for: JERRY JONES!

If the owner can't get there on time to board the plane, how does he expect the players to keep showing up on time??