Dak Prescott: Will he wear the star again?

Mike

Administrator
Left $175 Million on the table and now has bones sticking out of his leg.

What now?

Mike

Administrator
The first step so to speak is to be able to walk again.

True. Hoping to see him get back on the field.

That said, this goes to much of what has pushed me away from sports so much over the past several years. $175 Million on the table, I can't even fathom one year of that contract for my entire lifetime. Everything I could ever want or need, all three of my kids in the college of their choice, and pure comfort.

Not enough. Needed $45 million in the 5th year.

His threat as a runner was a key part of his value on the field. If he makes it back, he is most likely going to have to adopt a different style of play.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Left $175 Million on the table and now has bones sticking out of his leg.

What now?
Depends. If Dallas is smart and they rely on Zeke and keep winning then they tag again for a prove it deal.

If they start losing, and can draft one of the top 3 Qbs, you do that and save cap for defensive heip.

A lot will depend on how th two NY teams draft, keep youngster they have or draft new

Mike

Administrator
Depends. If Dallas is smart and they rely on Zeke and keep winning then they tag again for a prove it deal.

If they start losing, and can draft one of the top 3 Qbs, you do that and save cap for defensive heip.

A lot will depend on how th two NY teams draft, keep youngster they have or draft new
Record may actually play a key factor. First place early in the season with a losing record. I expect they will get through the season fine with Dalton, who is a respectable QB for sure and will no doubt be motivated to perform close to home.

Seriously, Dallas could be in an interesting situation after this season. Horrible record and can easily move on with another draft pick, or happy with Dalton and not interested in breaking the bank on a QB.

Walter34

Tonight is confirming that Dallas is a paper team right now. All glam, no substance. That said, Dad did show that he is an elite QB that can be built around. They need to sign him long term and be done with it. I wouldn't make him the highest paid in the league but he is definitely worth a 5 year, 150M type of deal.

efactor

Coming at you
Tonight is confirming that Dallas is a paper team right now. All glam, no substance. That said, Dad did show that he is an elite QB that can be built around. They need to sign him long term and be done with it. I wouldn't make him the highest paid in the league but he is definitely worth a 5 year, 150M type of deal.
Agree.

Perfect example why you don’t pay RBs and WRs excessive contracts. 13 million for Zeke and 20 million for Cooper (surface numbers anyway). Cooper is a nice receiver but he is not elite. Everyone except Jerry seems to know that. They could roll with Gallup, Lamb and a much cheaper 3rd option and not miss a beat in the passing game IMO. Zeke is elite at least but still a lot of money to tie up at a position where success is dictated by the o-line and the offensive scheme more so than the raw talent of the RB. z

Look at Carolina this year. They pay McCaffrey a huge contract. When he gets hurt, journeyman Mike Davis steps in and while Davis is certainly no McCaffrey, he still puts up nice numbers and the drop off isn’t that much.

I just don’t get how teams don’t understand this. As much as i hate Seattle, this is part of why they have a good team every year. They pay an elite QB and don’t spend money at WR and RB. Maybe that will change if Metcalf keeps on his path, but they spend their money on QB and defense.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Agree.

Perfect example why you don’t pay RBs and WRs excessive contracts. 13 million for Zeke and 20 million for Cooper (surface numbers anyway). Cooper is a nice receiver but he is not elite. Everyone except Jerry seems to know that. They could roll with Gallup, Lamb and a much cheaper 3rd option and not miss a beat in the passing game IMO. Zeke is elite at least but still a lot of money to tie up at a position where success is dictated by the o-line and the offensive scheme more so than the raw talent of the RB. z

Look at Carolina this year. They pay McCaffrey a huge contract. When he gets hurt, journeyman Mike Davis steps in and while Davis is certainly no McCaffrey, he still puts up nice numbers and the drop off isn’t that much.

I just don’t get how teams don’t understand this. As much as i hate Seattle, this is part of why they have a good team every year. They pay an elite QB and don’t spend money at WR and RB. Maybe that will change if Metcalf keeps on his path, but they spend their money on QB and defense.
Some teams get it. Look at New England. Belichick has made a career of letting vets go, and being questioned only to draft more talent and then get bargain basement FAs to fit his style.
Quite honestly look at Tenn. a Belichick disciple - they lock up Tannehill for a lot less than some of the bigger name FAs out there.
One reason why KC should be in win now, as they extended a ton of players and that contract for Mahomes will hamstring them.

Paying large $$$ for Rbs and Wrs is a crap shoot. Half the time the contract is a waste of cap space and severely limits a team and getting what they need. Remember when Dallas was all powerful a few years back? Instead of investing in Zeke, they probably should have spent on the OL and DL.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Oh, and quite honestly, I would not pay Dak what he wants. Either tag him one more time and draft a Qb or let him go FA and get the extra compensatory picks

efactor

Coming at you
Some teams get it. Look at New England. Belichick has made a career of letting vets go, and being questioned only to draft more talent and then get bargain basement FAs to fit his style.
Quite honestly look at Tenn. a Belichick disciple - they lock up Tannehill for a lot less than some of the bigger name FAs out there.
One reason why KC should be in win now, as they extended a ton of players and that contract for Mahomes will hamstring them.

Paying large $$$ for Rbs and Wrs is a crap shoot. Half the time the contract is a waste of cap space and severely limits a team and getting what they need. Remember when Dallas was all powerful a few years back? Instead of investing in Zeke, they probably should have spent on the OL and DL.
The spent on the OL which was smart. Unfortunate that Frederick was forced to retire due to his illness. Then Smith gets hurt and now Martin is hurt. They gave Lawrence big money but neglected the rest of the defense. I know Lamb fell and was hard to pass, but that was a luxury pick at that point after committing to Cooper for big money, long term. Gallup is really good as is being wasted as a #3 receiver. Should gave drafted defense. Team is a mess now.

Anyway, yeah, they have to be careful with Dak at this point for sure. Better make damn sure he still has mobility before they commit to a long term contract or even a franchise tag.

Mike

Administrator
Dak was putting up some big numbers in pursuit of his big contract. The most important number was starting out as a big failure, that was the win/loss record.

He got hurt laying his body out there and pushing those stats.

Sorry, I can't see laying out big money for him now. Will he even play in year 6 of his career?

The team is having to adjust to a different QB, it will take time. They weren't winning this year with Dak, so not going to say they are falling apart without him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Dak was putting up some big numbers in pursuit of his big contract. The most important number was starting out as a big failure, that was the win/loss record.

He got hurt laying his body out there and pushing those stats.

Sorry, I can't see laying out big money for him now. Will he even play in year 6 of his career?

The team is having to adjust to a different QB, it will take time. They weren't winning this year with Dak, so not going to say they are falling apart without him.
Here is the thing. I am pretty sure on this but will look deeper.
Per what I understand - they could tag Dak again, and then pull the tag if they get the Qb they want in draft - and he does not sign the tender. He would then be a FA. Again, the NFC east is such a crap shoot, you could get into playoffs this year going 5-11. I don't think Dak is a bad Qb, he can throw and hopefully he will be mobile again like before the injury. But he is not a game winner. Interesting to see who would take a shot if Dallas does walk away.

Personally, I would much rather see Dallas sink a ton of money into Dak, and then have to sit on it for a few years. Then again I am an Eagles fan :D

Walter34

I wouldn’t pin Dallas’ losses on Dak this year. The defence has been an atrocity. The win / loss record applies sometimes for QBs but not in all cases.

that said I would still sign him to a good deal, just not top 3 or 4 in the league type of contract. 75% of the league struggles to find and lock in their franchise QB. Dallas has one and needs to lock that in. I do agree that paying big $ to Cooper and Zeke was a mistake.

QB, o-line / LT, edge rusher and CB are the positions where money needs to be invested and make the most impact on Ws and Ls.