Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, Jacksonville

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
If you need a refresher on the rules for the series or a run down of previous match-ups? Here is the rules and history thread:
http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f2/close-calls-2009-sports-outlaw-exclusive-27685/http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f2/close-calls-2010-sports-outlaw-exclusive-34883/
Remember, this is based on re-draft leagues and non ppr scoring.

Today's Match-up:
Ray Rice vs Maurice Jones-Drew

Last Year's Stats:
Ray Rice - 12 gms - 1,339 ru yds - 7 ru TD's - 78 rec - 702 rec yds - 1 rec TD
Maurice Jones-Drew - 14 gms - 1,391 ru yds - 15 ru TD's - 53 rec - 374 yds - 1 rec TD's

Today's match-up is between two multi-threat RB's who seem to be at the top of their game. MJD stepped up the hype last year with an amazing season. Rice stepped out of nowhere to eclipse 2000 total yards and has valuted himself into the top 5 of fantasy drafts this year. So which one is worth the pick? That is the question in today's close call!

Your first instinct is usually correct and my first instinct is to take MJD (in this scoring format.) Last year was his first being THE guy in Jax and he had a great year. He's got a lot of miles left in the tank due to the Taylor years so who's to say last year was his ceiling. A good track record of production is very important to me in FF and MJD has just that.

Ray Rice had a great year last year and the Baltimore offense has taken significant steps forward during the offseason. This is the reason that I give MJD the slight edge in this close call. McGahee is still around, McClain is still around Rice will not be able to put together more receiving yards then he did last year. He doesn't look like a good goaline back so he won't crack double digit TD's

aspera1163

Mountain Drew is a clear cut #3 in my opinion. Actually, I think Gore may put up better numbers in a non PPR format than Rice will as well. Percentage of the offensive pie obviously favors MJD but I think Rice will lose some targets due to the improved passing weapons. Give me MJD by a considerable margin.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Mountain Drew is a clear cut #3 in my opinion. Actually, I think Gore may put up better numbers in a non PPR format than Rice will as well. Percentage of the offensive pie obviously favors MJD but I think Rice will lose some targets due to the improved passing weapons. Give me MJD by a considerable margin.
Not sure I agree on Gore.....not sure I trust him that much. BUT, I'm with ya on MJD being 3rd. It's his TD production vs Rice's limited TD potential that keeps me taking MJD here.

aspera1163

I like the two rookie lineman additions and the fact that he is going into 2010 100% healthy. Not to mention the emergence of Vernon Davis and Crabtree to open up the 8 man fronts for next season. I think Gore at the very least repeats last season's production if not improve total FF points because he will be playing in more games.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Wow, I'm the only Rice vote. I'll take the ppg game for the wins and bench him while he is out
:nono: not anymore.

For all who tout that this was MJD's first year as the "MAN", lets remember this was the first year for Rice to be the "MAN" as well. And he did one heck of a job. I happen to think the additions to the offense for Baltimore will only help Rice more, and make it much harder for defenses to go 8 in the box. I see a huge year for Rice.

My main concern for Jax is the Qb. Until they get a REAL Qb, and some solid Wrs.....defenses will continue to key on MJD.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Maybe the closest close call I can remember Miller, great thread. I'm going with Rice but it's a toss up.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
My preseason projections

MJD: 313 att; 1502 yds; 62 rec; 558 yds; 16 total tds; std scoring-302, PPR-364

Rice: 275 att; 1513 yds; 90 rec; 900 yds; 10 total tds; std scoring-301, PPR-391

Walter34

BOLD! I like it.....just don't agree with ya ;)

I actually think AP takes over #1 this year.

* Rice is younger and has less wear and tear than the other top backs. It's not an immediate concern with MJD, AP and CJ, but a factor nonetheless.
* With Flacco's checkdowns, he gets a ton of receptions. Peterson seems to have limited receiving stats which hurts him in a PPR format.
* With the addition of Boldin there will be less 8 man fronts
* The only chink in the armor is the low TD total. The hope is that McGahee takes on less of a role and Rice gets more goal line opportunities.

Remote Controller

When they are close like this I have to fall back to safe pick vs. some risk. The safety of MJD for another season trumps the question of "can Rice do it again?"

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
When they are close like this I have to fall back to safe pick vs. some risk. The safety of MJD for another season trumps the question of "can Rice do it again?"
:nod: Yes he can.

However, with the Qb slot in Jax, and lack of real Wrs...can MJD? I have questions there.