Cleveland Browns hire Eric Mangini

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The Cleveland Browns have agreed to hire former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini as their head coach.

Mangini, fired last week by the Jets, agreed to four-year deal, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Mangini is being represented by agent Ron Shapiro, who is Mangini's father-in-law.

The 37-year-old Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland. He started out as a Browns ball boy and was later a public relations intern. He has never forgotten his football roots. When the Jets played the Browns in recent seasons, Mangini bought a catered lunch of Italian food for Cleveland reporters.

ESPN NFL Source: Mangini agrees to 4-year deal

Good hire for the Cleveland Browns.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Good hire by the browns, Mangini is a rising star in the coaching ranks IMO and the Jets will likely regret letting him walk. With a cake schedule and a new attitude, the Browns could rebound in 2009.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Can't be much worse than Romeo Phic.
You may be right.

I see he is targeting Ryan to head his defense, taking him from Oakland..so that could definately help.

I just am not a Mangini fan...and felt there were much better canidates out there.

Mike

Administrator
Word I heard last night from the Cleveland beat writers is that Mangini will likely make Romeo Crennel the defensive coordinator.

Supposedly Crennel and Mangini are just about best friends and their wives hang out all the time.

I think this would be the makings of a very nice coaching staff.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I've read they were good friends, but I have read, per ESPN, that the pair have actually agreed NOT to work together. Mangini apparently already has targeted his OC/DC

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Word I heard last night from the Cleveland beat writers is that Mangini will likely make Romeo Crennel the defensive coordinator.

Supposedly Crennel and Mangini are just about best friends and their wives hang out all the time.

I think this would be the makings of a very nice coaching staff.
Okay, let me get this straight, a team fired a guy as head coach, then allows the new coach to bring him back as DC? You all don't think that is weird? Also, I saw that somewhere...but that it won't happen, so Ryan is the new target.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
ive seen rob ryan is the new DC target, which is an outstanding hire (this guy should be a head coach). i think the old jets OC is going to be the new OC in cleveland.

great coaching staff i think but who are they going to get as the GM when he has no say in any of these matters??

Mike

Administrator
Okay, let me get this straight, a team fired a guy as head coach, then allows the new coach to bring him back as DC? You all don't think that is weird?

Kind of wierd? Yes. But, they asked him to hang around while they searched for a GM (before they hired Mangini) with a possibility of rehiring him even as head coach.

Curious to see how this all lays out. The reports that are in the newspapers are what ESPN is referencing, those reports came out the same time this guy got on FOX Radio last night commenting on Crennel.

As for Rob Ryan, is he not under contract currently? If he is, what do the Browns have to give up for him to make the lateral move?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
As for Rob Ryan, is he not under contract currently? If he is, what do the Browns have to give up for him to make the lateral move?

His contract expires this month along with other Raider coaches.

Ryan to the Browns.
Knapp to Seattle. T&Ps Seahawk fans

so far

Love the fight Ryan got out of his defense even in hopeless situations.

Mike

Administrator
Thanks, that makes the hiring of Ryan much easier. Really good coach, seems like Oakland would want try and retain him though, not that Ryan would want to stay there for anything other than the head coaching job.