Chris Johnson Hold Out Updates

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
Sorry, but I didn't appreciate the condescending tone of the post. I thought this was a place to debate football.

cctekguy

Staff member
All I know is that I traded high on dude. He will get his contract, show up out of shape and get injured in the 1st 4 weeks of the regular season.

Riding the gurney making 8 mil.

What a life!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Isn't calling people idiots in general kinda being a dick (not that I mind, I kinda like debating with dicks;)?? And I'm just doing what you say you want to do....debate....I just don't get why you crashing down on CJ here when the guy is the clear cut best weapon on his team, signed on his rookie deal, and could get hurt and CUT with no guarantee at any time. As I stated, in general, I am not sticking up for holdouts, but there are exceptions, and this is one of them. If that was my kid, there is no way i could advise him to play under that deal knowing there is nothing for him if he gets hurt. And the insurance you speak of.....ok, take out a couple mil in insurance, that is going to make up for his 20-30 mil guaranteed he can get in his next deal?

As far as him taking less.....I have no issue with any player getting paid what they can get. It is not their responsibility to manage caps for the GM's. The Titans will be a much better team in the long run if they get the deal done instead of risk losing him for nothing.....then I guess they would have plenty of cap room right???

So lighten up a little and debate, just b/c I disagree with you and like to be a smart ass doesn't mean I am being a dick...or maybe it does, but either way, we can still have a good debate ;)

You're right. The rule in the CBA only affects players who are in the last year of their deals...but you don't have to be a d*ck about it. I wasn't calling you an idiot. And I'm pretty sure the post you quoted didnt say anything about losing an accrued year toward free agency because i realized that isnt an issue for him after i made the post on page one. I'm simply trying to spark debate. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Anyway, the issue of tying up the Titan's cap hasn't been addressed. Plenty of players take less than they want or less than market value so the team can bring in more talent.

Look...I understand why he's holding out, but I just don't agree with holdouts in general.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
All I know is that I traded high on dude. He will get his contract, show up out of shape and get injured in the 1st 4 weeks of the regular season.

Riding the gurney making 8 mil.

What a life!

Missing camp might not be a big deal for him. RB's take a beating, and having your franchise RB take less of a beating through TC might not be a bad thing.....BUT, your concern of an injury like a tweaked hammy, in the first couple weeks, is legit. Going out 4 weeks though is a bit much, I think anything after the first couple really won't be attributed to the hold out at all, just the basic risk of playing RB in the NFL.

What did you get for him? Hope you got high dollar and didn't settle due to fear of the unknown.

cctekguy

Staff member
What did you get for him? Hope you got high dollar and didn't settle due to fear of the unknown.

Combination of both.

Got Faddy and Vjax.

Fear of the unknown wasn't in play here. It was more the fear of yesterdays known becoming today's unknown.

Guys just don't repeat like they used to.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Exactly. Although, I wouldn't put Blount in the same category as McCluster or Choice...but good point.

The Packers proved last year that you don't really need a solid run game to win. The Pats have also won without a star RB like CJ.

No I meant like Blount - Banger, McCluster - Pass Catcher, Choice - regular stuff (takes 3 backs to do one job, but all come much cheaper)

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
Isn't calling people idiots in general kinda being a dick (not that I mind, I kinda like debating with dicks;)?? And I'm just doing what you say you want to do....debate....I just don't get why you crashing down on CJ here when the guy is the clear cut best weapon on his team, signed on his rookie deal, and could get hurt and CUT with no guarantee at any time. As I stated, in general, I am not sticking up for holdouts, but there are exceptions, and this is one of them. If that was my kid, there is no way i could advise him to play under that deal knowing there is nothing for him if he gets hurt. And the insurance you speak of.....ok, take out a couple mil in insurance, that is going to make up for his 20-30 mil guaranteed he can get in his next deal?

As far as him taking less.....I have no issue with any player getting paid what they can get. It is not their responsibility to manage caps for the GM's. The Titans will be a much better team in the long run if they get the deal done instead of risk losing him for nothing.....then I guess they would have plenty of cap room right???

So lighten up a little and debate, just b/c I disagree with you and like to be a smart ass doesn't mean I am being a dick...or maybe it does, but either way, we can still have a good debate ;)

Ok...I guess we're both dicks ;)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Phicinfan...you defend CJ as if you're on his payroll :)

The Titans already offered to make him the highest paid RB in league history. CJ is just greedy and wants more. From a business standpoint, why pay a guy Tom Brady money when everyone knows RBs have a short shelf life. CJ could be dunzo in 2 years for all we know.

Also, the reason why CJ is an idiot is because he is going to kill his team's cap room and they won't be able to bring in quality players so the team can compete. Look what Peyton did...he took well below market value to save the team money so they can resign other players.

Look at the Detroit Red Wings...players take less money to play for a winner. If Lidstrom demanded $15 million per season (which is probably what he is worth even at his age), the Wings wouldn't be able to sign guys like Zetterberg, Datsyk, Franzen, etc.

Ok...enough hockey talk...this is football. I agree CJ needs to get paid, but I just think he is being a selfish, money-hungry, greedy, POS.
part of me wants to keep arguying this with you. But the true definition of insanity is to keep doing the exact same thing, and expecting a different result.

Net, I feel you are wrong.

He is not an idiot, he IS a realist. The reality is Rbs have a very short lifespan in the NFL. The reality is he has way and above played over the value of his contract. The reality is...the team "says" they are willing to make him the highest paid rb, but still have not given him one offer of such. Is he overdoing it by saying he needs to be paid like Manning...sure. I would hope you realize this is all part of the negotiation to get him maximum value.

net, he is protecting himself, since this is going to be very tough to exist much longer at his ability.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Combination of both.

Got Faddy and Vjax.

Fear of the unknown wasn't in play here. It was more the fear of yesterdays known becoming today's unknown.

Guys just don't repeat like they used to.

That's a decent deal....BUT, and you know I have to toss in the BUT.....if your talking injury risk, don't ya think Faddy is just as much of a risk given his history?

cctekguy

Staff member
BUT.....if your talking injury risk, don't ya think Faddy is just as much of a risk given his history?

Sure do.

But it's a lot easier to watch your 10th round pick go down than it is to watch your 1st round pick go down.

efactor

Coming at you
Missing camp might not be a big deal for him. RB's take a beating, and having your franchise RB take less of a beating through TC might not be a bad thing.....BUT, your concern of an injury like a tweaked hammy, in the first couple weeks, is legit. Going out 4 weeks though is a bit much, I think anything after the first couple really won't be attributed to the hold out at all, just the basic risk of playing RB in the NFL.

Surprised you wasted your time responding to that Jeremy. Guy trades a stud and then announces he will show up out of shape and get hurt. He may be training and be in the best shape of his life.

Just saying.........

Zach

Look what Peyton did...he took well below market value to save the team money so they can resign other players.

Salary alone Peyton has earned (roughtly guessing) about 150 million. Throw in another 100 million in endorsements and ... well I do not see the comparision between a guy that settled for being tied as the hightest paid player in the league and a guy getting paid 800 thousand.

Not to mention - how far below market value can you be when you are the highest paid player in the history of the league?

I agree CJ needs to get paid, but I just think he is being a selfish, money-hungry, greedy, POS.

Pencil me in as someone who would do the same thing in his position.

Not that much different than if I was to get a better job offer today and jump ship - it would screw over my job and co-workers for a bit just so I was better off.

Thing is that in the end the company I worked for would adjust and go on like I never existed - not and different for NFL teams and their employees.

Zach

..besides - I wish they would hurry up and sign him simply because I do not see Minnesota starting real negotiations with Peterson until they know they number they have to beat.

Battle-Tested

So can management (owners) do the same thing. If they give CJ 20 million a year for 5 years and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year he plays average...almost like crap.........can they ask for their money back?

I agree he is well underpaid nut you never negoiate with a player that has more then just a year left on his contract...CJ has 2.

JMHO, of course

Remote Controller

The Fitz deal blew up in the titans faces. It also is gonna **** of DeSean. It shows you that sometimes a better tactic is to shut up and practice.

Zach

So can management (owners) do the same thing. If they give CJ 20 million a year for 5 years and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year he plays average...almost like crap.........can they ask for their money back?

No but they can just fire him and not pay him the 4th and 5th year

That is the entire reason I have no problem with NFL players doing what they can to get paid. Their employer can fire them at any time and not have to pay them anything more.

The player on the other hand not only can he not go get the best paying job out there because he is locked into one employer for a period of time - hell he has to actually pay his employer to quit.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator

I agree he is well underpaid nut you never negoiate with a player that has more then just a year left on his contract...CJ has 2.

JMHO, of course

Sure they can...happens every year! They force you to restructure your deal or they cut your ass and you on the street......if they owners can do that, why can't a player do the same when he has millions at risk for $800k?