Chris Johnson Hold Out Updates

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
(KFFL) Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson did not report Tuesday, Aug. 9, continuing his training camp absence, which has reached 12 days. Tuesday, Aug. 9, is the deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs in order to earn an accrued season toward free agency. Johnson, who has two years left on his contract, appears determined to secure a lucrative long-term deal, rather than an accrued season toward free agency.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
the accrued season for him means nothing as he is still under contract for 2 more years....so if he plays next year, he still gets the 4th year and UFA.....but UFA is NOT his goal, a long term deal to stay in Tennessee is, so it makes sense IMO. He will end up getting paid before the season starts.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
(TheHuddle) Updating a previous report, it is believed that Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson wants to make at least $39 million over the first three years of a new multi-year deal. The team has yet to make an official offer to the running back. Analysis: Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean tweeted: "That's low - he wants more than that."

Zach

He's an idiot

Actually he is smart.

Playing for 800,000 this year would be stupid for him. Signing the deal with the signing bonus is the only smart move for him. Suppose he gets hurt this year and he never plays again?

He would be better off sitting out this entire year and forcing his hand than playing for chump change (by standards of his NFL value).

Remote Controller

Actually he is smart.

Playing for 800,000 this year would be stupid for him. Signing the deal with the signing bonus is the only smart move for him. Suppose he gets hurt this year and he never plays again?

He would be better off sitting out this entire year and forcing his hand than playing for chump change (by standards of his NFL value).
I agree. This is one holdout I am all for. He can't afford not to get paid now! He toughed it out all year last year aND THEY did nothing for him.

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
This guy is an idiot. He wants more than 13 million per year. He should shut his mouth and play. Bottom line is, he signed a contract and he should honor it. Look at Arian Foster...stand up guy.

Now CJ lost a year towards free agency...what an idiot. Sitting out doesn't do anything. He'll just continue to lose accrued years toward free agency. The new CBA makes holdouts pointless. Why do you think guys like Gore, DJack, etc. Ended their holdouts? Because they know the new CBA takes away the power of holding out. Now, you just get fined 30k per day and loss years.

That's why CJ is an idiot.

However, I do think he has outperformed his contract and deserves to make more money, but that time will come soon enough. In the meantime, he should play for his current salary and tale out a huge insurance policy to cover any lost earnings in case of injury. Lots of athletes do that. McGahee had an insurance policy when he suffered that injury in college.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zach

Now CJ lost a year towards free agency...what an idiot. Sitting out doesn't do anything. He'll just continue to lose accrued years toward free agency. The new CBA makes holdouts pointless. Why do you think guys like Gore, DJack, etc. Ended their holdouts? Because they know the new CBA takes away the power of holding out. Now, you just get fined 30k per day and loss years.

Thats just it. He is not in the same position as others before him. He can sit out this entire year and it will make no difference towards when he becomes a free agent.

The results of this holdout are much bigger than just if CJ gets paid or not.

Unless the owner the Titans has been attending the Mike Brown School of Ownership he is going to realize that if refuses to pay CJ than the message he is sending his current and potential future players is that he does not give a **** about winning and rewarding those that perform well.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This guy is an idiot. He wants more than 13 million per year. He should shut his mouth and play. Bottom line is, he signed a contract and he should honor it. Look at Arian Foster...stand up guy.
Bad, bad comparison. For all we know Foster is a one hit wonder. Meanwhile Johnson has done nothing but be one of the top producers in the league, on very suspect teams. He deserves a big contract, an since his NFL life will be shorter due to the position he plays...he needs to get it now. Before he takes a major injury. Plus, add to the fact the team folded to him once already last year. AND why should he honor a contract when NFL teams don't and cut as they like. That is why contracts are not guaranteed. You can't have it one sided.

he has two years left on his contract. It would be stupid for him to play it out and risk injury..so he didn't lose anything...as the new contract he WILL get will be for multiple years anyway...

no, you are just wrong.

However, I do think he has outperformed his contract and deserves to make more money, but that time will come soon enough. In the meantime, he should play for his current salary and tale out a huge insurance policy to cover any lost earnings in case of injury. Lots of athletes do that. McGahee had an insurance policy when he suffered that injury in college.
Insurance won't equal half of what he would get in a huge contract. Not half.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
RB salaries the last few years are still largely set by the big money deal Clinton Portis got awhile back, while the salaries for top guys at WR continue to go up.

CJ's stance is he isnt just a RB, he is a "playmaker" and he wants money on par with the top WRs in the NFL. The DeAngelo Williams deal is not going to be near enough for him.

Now granted CJ is NO ordinary RB, but lets be honest, the days of THE dominant RB have largely passed, and RBs are getting to be a dime a dozen. For every CJ that does it all, you can get a Blount, McCluster, and Choice to do the same job for much less money.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

deuce4321

Driller
I dont know what Foster's contract situation is but if he has multiple years left and he plays as he did last season then he will be doing the same thing next off-season... Put that in the bank.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
(Rotoworld) Former NFL executive Andrew Brandt believes Chris Johnson will get a new contract a week before the season opener. Analysis: Brandt spent ten years negotiating contracts and managing the salary cap for the Packers, so his opinion holds water. He believes Johnson will agree to terms just in time to get ready for Week 1, securing a five-year deal worth a total of $56-$58 million. While Brandt has no inside information, things in the NFL tend to get done at the last possible minute. We're not downgrading Johnson on draft boards just yet.

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
I dont know what Foster's contract situation is but if he has multiple years left and he plays as he did last season then he will be doing the same thing next off-season... Put that in the bank.

Actually, Foster has already said he will honor his contract. He says he believes in karma and everything will work out in the end.

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
Phicinfan...you defend CJ as if you're on his payroll :)

The Titans already offered to make him the highest paid RB in league history. CJ is just greedy and wants more. From a business standpoint, why pay a guy Tom Brady money when everyone knows RBs have a short shelf life. CJ could be dunzo in 2 years for all we know.

Also, the reason why CJ is an idiot is because he is going to kill his team's cap room and they won't be able to bring in quality players so the team can compete. Look what Peyton did...he took well below market value to save the team money so they can resign other players.

Look at the Detroit Red Wings...players take less money to play for a winner. If Lidstrom demanded $15 million per season (which is probably what he is worth even at his age), the Wings wouldn't be able to sign guys like Zetterberg, Datsyk, Franzen, etc.

Ok...enough hockey talk...this is football. I agree CJ needs to get paid, but I just think he is being a selfish, money-hungry, greedy, POS.

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
Now granted CJ is NO ordinary RB, but lets be honest, the days of THE dominant RB have largely passed, and RBs are getting to be a dime a dozen. For every CJ that does it all, you can get a Blount, McCluster, and Choice to do the same job for much less.

Exactly. Although, I wouldn't put Blount in the same category as McCluster or Choice...but good point.

The Packers proved last year that you don't really need a solid run game to win. The Pats have also won without a star RB like CJ.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So.....let's clear up a few things for you here. CJ risks NOTHING by holding out this year aside from his $800k salary. You claim he is an idiot b/c he is not accruing a year towards FA......well let's do the math on the new CBA you "act" like you understand....4 years needed for UFA.....CJ has 3.....and has 2 years left on his deal.....hmmm, 2+3=5-1=4=UFA!!! Looks to me like if he sits out the entire season, he can come back next year, get his 4th year, get paid 2.1 mil for his final year, and get to FA without risking it all this year for a meager $800k.

Now I don't stick up for holdouts often, but common sense is common sense and this is a no brainer, if I am CJ, no way I show up. Tennessee can say all they want in the media, the fact is if they want to make him the highest paid RB in the NFL, they need to actually make him an offer and not say they will only if he shows up.....just get the deal done!

And you said it yourself, he could be done in 2 yrs for all we know....so while he does have the leverage now, why should he not use it??

You can call him greedy and selfish if ya like, but tossing the idiot term out there when common sense is staring everyone in the face and it simply states the risk of injury is not worth the $800k he is set to make. Pressure in on Tennessee on this one.

Phicinfan...you defend CJ as if you're on his payroll :)

The Titans already offered to make him the highest paid RB in league history. CJ is just greedy and wants more. From a business standpoint, why pay a guy Tom Brady money when everyone knows RBs have a short shelf life. CJ could be dunzo in 2 years for all we know.

Also, the reason why CJ is an idiot is because he is going to kill his team's cap room and they won't be able to bring in quality players so the team can compete. Look what Peyton did...he took well below market value to save the team money so they can resign other players.

Look at the Detroit Red Wings...players take less money to play for a winner. If Lidstrom demanded $15 million per season (which is probably what he is worth even at his age), the Wings wouldn't be able to sign guys like Zetterberg, Datsyk, Franzen, etc.

Ok...enough hockey talk...this is football. I agree CJ needs to get paid, but I just think he is being a selfish, money-hungry, greedy, POS.

Osiris

Fantasy Football Pharaoh
You're right. The rule in the CBA only affects players who are in the last year of their deals...but you don't have to be a d*ck about it. I wasn't calling you an idiot. And I'm pretty sure the post you quoted didnt say anything about losing an accrued year toward free agency because i realized that isnt an issue for him after i made the post on page one. I'm simply trying to spark debate. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Anyway, the issue of tying up the Titan's cap hasn't been addressed. Plenty of players take less than they want or less than market value so the team can bring in more talent.

Look...I understand why he's holding out, but I just don't agree with holdouts in general.

Last edited by a moderator: