• Height - 6'1"
  • Weight - 237
  • 40 Time - 4.50 - Official Combine Time - 4.59
2008 Stats:
  • 1197 rushing yards, 47 Receiving yards
  • 8 Rushing TD's
Draft Projection - Top 15

NFL Impact
Beanie Wells is considered one of the elite RB prospects in this year's draft. Wells is a big bruising back who also has very good speed. Does not go down to first contact oftenand has a brutal stiff arm. From a pure talent standpoint this guy is off the charts. However, what holds him back from being a top 10 lock is the durability questions that surround him. Wells battled several injuries as a Junior and is the type of player who always seems to be battling something. This history is going to scare some teams away from investing a high pick on him. What ever team who does is going to get a rare talent who will be a star at the next level.....when he's healthy, and how often that is will determine how successful his career will be.

So where do you think Wells will land? How successful will he be in the NFL?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f718Ei0TAck"]YouTube - Chris "Beanie" Wells Stiff Arm Video[/ame]

Mr. Hack

Local MMA Guru
Not only does he have an amazing stiff arm, but he has demonstrated his hurdling ability :) I'd like to think he would go first round, but with his lack of playing due to injuries it may not happen. He would make an excellent addition to a team that primarily focuses on their passing game.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KEJzPfyOf0]YouTube - Chris "beanie" wells hurdles illinois defender[/ame]

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I think the same label mike likes to put on MBIII is more aptly (in my opinion) a fit for Beanie. Injury risk associated with his style of play is too high to gamble a top 15 pick with at RB. I'd put him around the 3rd runningback taken.

dukdown

Banned
I've always been very high on Wells. Thought he was one of those types of talents that could have gone straight to the NFL out of high school. Think he offers an excellent blend of explosiveness and agility, along with breakaway speed. A beast around the goalline, I see no reason he shouldn't be very successful at the NFL level. I have Moreno, Wells, and Donald Thomas as my top 3 backs.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think he gets no less than a high ankle sprain coming up to the podium.

So far we seem to think we are ending up with anything from Caddy Williams to LaRon McClain. Neither of which has or was worth the high pick.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So far we seem to think we are ending up with anything from Caddy Williams to LaRon McClain. Neither of which has or was worth the high pick.
Not sure where either comparison is close....

Beanie has had small nagging injuries, not major catastrophic injuries.

Beanie is also not a full back, don't mistake his build for that. He's huge, but has good feet, powerful style, but enough speed to get the corner when needed. If were drawing comparisons, his injury issues remind me some of Brian Westbrook, and as far as a RB, I see a lot of a back I watched very closely for many years, Corey Dillon, minus the attitude....

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think both comparisions are pretty close. Beanie is a slow lumbering back in the NFL. He's big but his speed isnt that great.

Caddy wasnt terribly hurt in college, but I remember a couple of nagging things. Then he gets to the pro game and cant stay on the field. I see Beanie shaking out in much the same fashion.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Your wrong, but that's OK ;)

Beanie is going to post a sub 4.5 40, which is plenty fast for a back of his size. He's not a 4.3 guy, but he's far from lumbering....go and watch the leap again....big lumbering backs simply can't do that.....He is in the mold of a Corey Dillon, Eddie George type.

I have doubts of his ability to stay on the field long term....but Caddy comparisons?? So now you can predicts torn knees and mircofacture injuries?? If you can, you should be buying some lotto tickets...

His injury history is very similar to Adrian Peterson coming out, and I have the same concerns about Wells as I did and still do to a certain point about AP, ability to sustain the pounding and the nagging injuries. You can see trends on nagging injuries....serious injuries are pretty hard to predict or know where they are coming from.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
He will battle nagging injuries for most of his career, and will more then likely suffer a major one. Has the talent to be an elite NFL back for 4 to 5 seasons, but his bruising style will take it's toll on his body. He will have a shorter shelf life then most backs but the years he is on the field will be something to watch. If a team believes they are a RB away from being an elite team, then he is worth a 1st round pick no question. If they want a cornerstone player to build their team around over the next 3 or 4 years, I would worry if Wells' body will hold up long enough to be around when the pieces are put into place.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
He will battle nagging injuries for most of his career, and will more then likely suffer a major one. Has the talent to be an elite NFL back for 4 to 5 seasons, but his bruising style will take it's toll on his body. He will have a shorter shelf life then most backs but the years he is on the field will be something to watch. If a team believes they are a RB away from being an elite team, then he is worth a 1st round pick no question. If they want a cornerstone player to build their team around over the next 3 or 4 years, I would worry if Wells' body will hold up long enough to be around when the pieces are put into place.
Pretty spot on with how I feel over the injuries....I'm not saying he won't have a major injury, I'd say most NFL RB's do. But to predict anyone to have Caddy williams type injuries is pretty random...could happen, don't think it's something you can predict though.

I don't see him having a long shelf life either, but when on the field he's goig to be fun to watch.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I stand by the prediction Miller. All we can do in this case is agree to disagree. I also see Peterson as a far superior back to Chris Wells. Let the buckeye backlash begin!

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't have an issue with disagreeing Sarge, no backlash needed. I have big time questions on his long term durability, but I have zero questions on his athletic ability, that won't be the questions for GM's IMO.....can he stay on the field, that will be the question, and to know the answer we'll just have to watch and see.

Am I insane for suggesting the Texans grab him if he's still available at 15?

IMO the ideal situation for Wells would be to have another formidable back taking on part of the load to ease his many aches and pains.

Wells and Slaton in the Houston backfield, is there any possibility of this happening?

Runnik's Hambones

I think that if they draft him, the Texans are insane. Slaton is all they need right now, IMO. Houston needs to work on other things, not the RB position.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't know, it's an intriguing thought. I still doubt Slaton's ability to carry 20 times a game over the long haul. I think he'd be more impressive in a split roll, keeping him fresh and on the field. Wells may be in that same roll given his injury concerns. He's also more of a 2 down back, so enter Slaton as the compliment. With Schaub, AJ, Slaton and Wells that offense woudl be reaqdy to make the next step. However, RH makes a point, are their more pressing needs? I'm not a Texans expert, but I'd say the D still needs some help, but this may be a hard new toy for them to pass up.

Runnik's Hambones

I can understand the desire to have Wells, but again, I think right now Slaton can carry the load. I won't consider myself a Texans expert myself but I would suggest probably working on that secondary.