Can the Bengals afford to NOT re-sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh?

Mike

Administrator
The Falcons took a hit at quarterback, and people assumed that would destroy the franchise. Wasn't the case.

The Ravens have been a "quarterback" away for quite some time, and while Flacco wasn't great, he was better than what the Ravens were being forced to struggle with. Flacco and Ray Rice, and McLain made that team good enough for a Super Bowl run. They finished short, and now they won't be back until they rebuild the defense which is likely to implode now.

The Bengals? I see decay, from top to bottom. You have Carson Palmer for now. If you don't put the offensive line as priority #1 and do whatever it takes to completely overhaul that guys that protect him, you won't have him 3 years down the line when the Bengals should be once again seriously competing, after a couple years of rebuilding.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
can't disagree there with the line, you have to rebuild that...but again, why does that came at the expense of Housh when you can just tag him?

Draft a top OT, go get a good vet Center. The Guards are solid. Levi Jones is the big wildcard as I'm not sure if injures have not decimated him. But he could be a stop gap to the new LT.

So,
LT: Jones/Rookie
LG: Whitworth
C: Free Agent
RG: Williams
RT: Collins

There are other possibilities like moving Whit to one of the tackles and bringing Andrews back at G, but overall, that is doable with TJ and would be a BIG step in the right direction. What else do you want them to do on the line that would stop them from being able to afford TJ?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
can't disagree there with the line, you have to rebuild that...but again, why does that came at the expense of Housh when you can just tag him?

Draft a top OT, go get a good vet Center. The Guards are solid. Levi Jones is the big wildcard as I'm not sure if injures have not decimated him. But he could be a stop gap to the new LT.

So,
LT: Jones/Rookie
LG: Whitworth
C: Free Agent
RG: Williams
RT: Collins

There are other possibilities like moving Whit to one of the tackles and bringing Andrews back at G, but overall, that is doable with TJ and would be a BIG step in the right direction. What else do you want them to do on the line that would stop them from being able to afford TJ?
I simply don't think the Bengals want that much money tied up into the Wrs core. I will see what I can find but T.J.'s contract will be huge. Add that to Ocho Cinco's and the 2nd round draft pick last year and Henry...and that is a whole lot of money. Yes the cap is higher this year. and next year they go uncapped. But that doesn't mean cincy will spend the whole cap ( they usually don't....) and it doesn't address other areas of need.

Rb will HAVE to be addressed. Benson if that is the choice (yuck!) won't come cheap.

S is still an issue. Need another Cb. DL is also a must.

Alot of holes to fill, and tie that much money into another Wr.

Mike

Administrator
Who do you have behind those starters besides a bunch of guys that shouldn't be on the roster?

Where is your long term running game coming from? It can't be on your roster right now.

Defense still needs work. It is better than last year, but still not good.

My point with Housh. You franchise him this year, he is going to require you to not be able to put the tag on him in 2010, meaning you are forced into signing a receiver who is in his mid-30's to a long term contract, otherwise all you did was keep him around for a year on a bad team.

I just think the smart move for the future is "without Housh"

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
guess we disagree....getting rid of your best and most consistent WR is not a good move, not for nothing.....good teams and good organizations don't let assets walk without getting something in return. If Cincy is ever going to turn it around, they need to start making moves that good teams make.

And there are not many teams in the league that can not make a quick turn around, I don't think you make drastic moves and throw away seasons in today's NFL. You have to go into each season with the mentality to win for the upcoming season.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
From TJ:
And Houshmandzadeh thinks the Bengals can return to that form, but there is a big qualifier in there.
"The way our defense has improved and you have to figure there is no way our offense is going to be that bad again," he said. "Well, if I'm not back it can be that bad again."
TJ sures thinks he's an important piece to the puzzle....;)

More from TJ on his future:
"I don't think what people realize is I wouldn't mind coming back," Houshmandzadeh said. "I just want a choice. I just want to see what else is out there. I'm not going to take the biggest deal to play on Mars. I want to get to the playoffs like Big Willie (Anderson) did. Yeah, I think we can get back and I've got a lot of friends there."

from bengals.com

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
From TJ:
TJ sures thinks he's an important piece to the puzzle....;)

More from TJ on his future:

from bengals.com

I read these statements and while I applaud his "positive attitude" the Bengals are lightyears away from competing in their own division much less getting back to the big show. Comments like this also would appear on the surface to weaken his bargaining position. If the team knows he wants to come back they might soften their offer.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
no one is light years away anymore....The Ravens defense could be torn apart and if is it, they fall right back down. The Steelers are always up there and the Browns are in no better shape.

Cincy has building blocks in place, if they can just put them together and stay healthy for a change they will be better than expected. Now that is not to say I expect a SB run....they will screw it up like Mike Brown always does. But from a talent standpoint, there is talent on that team.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Here is the way I look at it - they'd be stupid not to make a serious run at re-signing Housh. More than likely #85 is on his way out of town soon and you have a Pro-Bowl caliber QB that needs at least one reliable target.

Look, I understand this team has holes all over the place but I don't see a better use of your salary cap space than locking up TJ Housh. The guy is a flat out stud and was the only reason all year that Cincinnati was moving the chains. He has great chemistry with Carson Palmer and is a no-nonsense football player - you're never gonna see him pull a Pacman Jones or a Chad Ocho Cinco.

When you have a guy like this on your team you try and keep him. If you change your mind you can always trade the guy later for draft picks instead of just letting him walk away for cap room.

(Philadelphia might make a play for him too)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I just don't know that they are that close.

Yes, I see a drop in baltimore, especially if the defense drops.
Yes, I see Cleveland struggling as Mangini clears house.
Pittsburgh should be back, although they will have OL issues with FA.

Cincy has multiple needs.
OL - Levi Jones isn't reliable. Stacey Andrews is off knee injury so RT is issue also. Whitworth can move to tackle...but not proven. Collins did okay as a rookie, but may be better fit at RT. C position is just horrible.

Rb - DIRE NEED - they have NONE. Perry isn't the answer, neither is Watson. Benson might be back...but will he revert to the Benson of Bears?

Wr - Chad needs to go, T.J. doesn't want tagged, Henry is a head case, Rookies were injured most of last year. Big ifs.

Te - actually okay here.

DL - Made improvements, and injuries hurt. Need more depth though.
LB - getting better, but still needs help.
S - young, but need depth
CB - young and promising..but #3 cb is direly needed.

P - needs replaced.

So alot of needs. Could they tag T.J. ? Yes. Will he play? I don't think so, he is adamant to get a shot at FA.

I think you let him go FA, see if you can resign him that way...and completely rebuild this team in the wait.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
TJ has already stated if tagged, he'll play. he won't like it, but he'll play. But he won't show up to any offseason activities.....but he never does any way.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Also read that Graham is up for resigning this year, too. So a deal could get done for Housh and the Bengals could tag Graham for a fraction of the cost of tagging a WR.