Can the Bengals afford to NOT re-sign T.J. Houshmandzadeh?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
He's a free agent this year and there is speculation both the Niners and Seahawks could be interested or be good fits for Housh. But looking at the Bengals roster it would be tough for me if I was the Bengal Braintrust to let him walk. Ocho Stinko is more trouble than he's worth. Henry is a walking suspension. After that they have two guys drafted pretty high that I didn't hear much about.

Do the Bengals know something I don't know or are they making a major mistake?

Mike

Administrator
This depends on the direction they plan on taking over the next 2-3 years.

If you are looking to make a Super Bowl run, you keep the guy. If not, you take that money and address your offensive line and defense as much as possible and build this team the right way.

I don't see this team being anywhere near making a serious playoff run. Luck into the wildcard and make a quick exit? Maybe. Serious run? nowhere close.

Somebody is going to offer him a long term contract, and a hefty one. With as many needs as the Bengals have, I don't think it is a real good idea to invest big money into a long term contract on a receiver that will be 32 at the start of the 2009 season.

Might be just me, but pursuing Housh would be the wrong direction for this team.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I kind of agree with Mike here.

First the offense is SUPPOSED To be more run focussed next year. If that is the case, then OL is a huge need as LT has injury issues, and RT is a FA as well and coming off Knee surgery. Add to that a seive at C and you got issues.

Ideally, if you are cincy, you Tag Housh, and then trade him for picks. You also trade Chad and hope for the best on picks. I have seen on mock where Cincy takes Crabtree. That would be an iteresting selection, but they would miss out on all the top OTs unless they get a heck of a deal.

I know some see the Bengals tagging Housh. I don't. I think they let him go...and move on. They are very high on Caldwell out of Florida (who they drafted in 08). Alot will depend on Chad and his antics is my guess.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i dont see how cincinnati can tag housh and invest that kind of money into him when they are clearly eons away from contention, but this clearly is a franchise that isnt thinking straight based on pretty much every move out there. they shouldve fired marvin lewis long ago. they shouldve focused on defense. they shouldve had a real backup qb, or at least gotten one once palmer got hurt.

so since they shouldnt tag housh or sign him to a long contract, they probably will anyways just to keep the 14 fans they still have in their seats and somehow pretend like the decision made sense.

Mr. Hack

Local MMA Guru
If Ocho Cinco stays, I think they need to focus on the line. If not, keep TJ for sure. He is the better of the two, IMO. Just wish he would get more touches.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't see how there is anyway you DON'T tag Housh.....a long term deal seems far away. He's your most consistent offensive weapon and contrary to what I've read here, tagging Housh doesn't hurt their ability to address needs on the offensive and defensive lines. If you don't tag him, you simply created one more HUGE need for a team that already has others. This gives them a stop gap to the young receivers and allows them to look long term at other spots. Also gives them the flexibility to deal him for picks if they want to.....but to let him go fo nothing would not be good for the short term or long term success of this franchise. And as far as addressing the defense??? They were #12 last season....most didn't notice b/c the offense sucked and the team was in the toilet, but the defense under Zimmer is heading in the right direction, no need to remove one spot that is consistent on this offense.

Runnik's Hambones

Based on their recent resigning of Palmer, I think you have to sign Housh. I don't see how this is even a question. If there's someone you want to try and get money for it's Ocho, not TJ.

dukdown

Banned
Based on their recent resigning of Palmer...

Are you talking about the thread of Palmer being extended in his contract? From 2005? Or did I miss some recent news?

They invested some very valuable draft picks on the WR position last year. Guess it's more just a question when the Bengals expect to begin pushing players like Caldwell and Simpson into the offense. I'm guessing it's not going to be in 2009, so I'd think it's a high priority if they want to be at all competitive this upcoming season, to bring back Houshmandzadeh.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
RH, that was an old thread on the Palmer resigning.....he's around long term ,but that contract was signed a couple years ago.

Mike, not sure the exact number on the FT for a WR, but It's not higher than the FT they had on Andrews last year. With the cap increase this year they will have plenty of room......just up to Mike Brown to spend it. The FT won't keep them from addressing their needs; but management likely will..

Runnik's Hambones

Ah that makes sense. I was wondering why I hadn't seen it on ESPN the last 2 days, lol. And that's why I was getting funny looks from friends when I was like "yeah and he signed that new deal" lol.

I should probably pay attention to the dates.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Ah that makes sense. I was wondering why I hadn't seen it on ESPN the last 2 days, lol. And that's why I was getting funny looks from friends when I was like "yeah and he signed that new deal" lol.

I should probably pay attention to the dates.
:biglaugh:

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
do we really think housh deserves to be paid among the top 5 at his position? he feels more like a top 15 or 20 WR to me, and a borderline WR1. admittedly i dont see cincy play much, but i dont think anyone does other than the homers.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I have no issue seeing him get paid that over one season. Without a big SB, a one year payment is a decent deal. is he a top 5 WR? no, is he a very key part of what this offense does, yes. If they are going to do anything next season, they need to tag him. I'd like to see a 3 yr deal, but I know that won't happen, especially at the money he's looking at. If he does go on the open market, I think you'll see him get paid VERY well.

Phicinfan

Administrator
do we really think housh deserves to be paid among the top 5 at his position? he feels more like a top 15 or 20 WR to me, and a borderline WR1. admittedly i dont see cincy play much, but i dont think anyone does other than the homers.
Here is the thing.

I feel for Cincy to really turn it around and rebuild, they have to get rid of the old.

No, I would not tag Housh. I would re-sign Andrews (not tag him again) and go OT in draft. I simply feel that T.J. like Ocho is the old whining guard. Let them go, and move forward with rebuilding this team to fit the competition. Build the line, run the ball and work on the defense. If they don't , T.J. won't help much with Palmer hurt again.

But, this is cincy...so doubt it happens.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
But is this a mutually exclusive thing? The talk is that is they resign or tag TJ they can't possibly rebuild their Oline as well.....I don't see that as the case at all. They can, the question will be do they. The cap increase this year is pretty significant and one that will allow them to do both if they wish. They can tag Housh, take an OT first and either take a center at the top of the 2nd or preferably sign a solid FA Center.

As far as Andrews......eh, not to impressed to be honest. He was mediocre at best this year and now is coming off of major knee surgery. Would not offer him a ton a cash, if someone else does, let him walk, better options are out there than Andrews, I'd be just as happy with Collins at that spot going forward as Andrews.

Phicinfan

Administrator
But is this a mutually exclusive thing? The talk is that is they resign or tag TJ they can't possibly rebuild their Oline as well.....I don't see that as the case at all. They can, the question will be do they. The cap increase this year is pretty significant and one that will allow them to do both if they wish. They can tag Housh, take an OT first and either take a center at the top of the 2nd or preferably sign a solid FA Center.
Were this not cincy I might agree. Two things here, they already have ONE malcontent at Wr. Housh has come out and blatently told the team he does NOT want to be tagged. Can this team really rebuild with two Wrs that are that negative? With Lewis at HC?

Facts have to be faced here. This team won't be that much better with both if they are both going off on the team and not the opposition. I would much rather see the team boot them...and rebuild and take the heat now.

As far as Andrews......eh, not to impressed to be honest. He was mediocre at best this year and now is coming off of major knee surgery. Would not offer him a ton a cash, if someone else does, let him walk, better options are out there than Andrews, I'd be just as happy with Collins at that spot going forward as Andrews.
I don't think he was that bad. But then again, I wouldn't leave him at Tackle. I would resign him at a cheaper price, move him to guard...move Whitworth to Tackle with Collins and still draft a OT. Andrews at Guard was pretty impressive. IF they move Whitworth (as Levi sucks right now) they need depth at guard. If they keep Levi...then move Williams to Center and lose Ghiachuc(sp?)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I agree on Andrews to Guard....but with him it all depends on the price, he's not a top caliber guard and I wouldn't pay him as one.

Mike

Administrator
Back to the franchise tagging of Housh for a second.

If the Bengals do this, what is the benefit? It keeps him in a Bengals uniform during 2009, but how important is that really?

Where is this going to help the Bengals? And by help, I don't mean making them a 7-9 quality team in the short term. What does this do long term for the team? Do you keep him for 2009 under the franchise tag, then sign him for top dollar on a long term contract to play for the Bengals on the backside of his career?

Damn good receiver, but I don't see him being a quality #1 receiver by the time the Bengals rebuild the mess that they have. I look at this team and see the mess that the Cowboys got into during the late 90's, early 2000's. A couple really good players, surrounded by decay.

I think Carson Palmer is young enough, and good enough to rebuild around, concentrating on building that offensive line to protect him, and building a solid running game. I don't see how the Bengals are benefited by keeping Housh around, when that money could be better spent in other areas, and 3 years from now, you could go after a free agent receiver, or maybe by then, have another nice receiver developed within the organization. (a receiver that is much younger at that point)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
your assuming they are light years away....and in reality they may be, but we all said the same about the Ravens, Falcons, and even Cards a year ago....see how that turned around. The defense is on the rise finally, if you fix the lines and Palmer bounces back why can't they bounce back against a much easier schedule next season?

You keep your best players, and the FT is a vehicle to do this, or at the very least get something in return....that is the best strategy to use here.