Bills/Stevie Johnson reach 5 year agreement

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Financial terms are not yet available, but Johnson was believed to be targeting roughly $8 million annually. Expect an annoucement at 9am central today.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
allows Buffalo to use tag on fast Freddy if they need to. Rumors have it as a friendly team deal. Will have to wait til its published, but great move by Buffalo, they needed to keep this guy.

xqj47alpha

Banned
a k 4 the wr not the rb was probably the best way to go.
Fred can handle the tag better than Stevie and just wait another year for that big payday management is probably promising.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Good move by Buffalo to lock him up for 5 years. Not sure I think he's quite worth 7+mil a yr, but when your Buffalo, your forced to overpay in order to keep good, young players.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Did I miss something? I did not see Buffalo tag Fred Jackson.....is he headed to FA?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Did I miss something? I did not see Buffalo tag Fred Jackson.....is he headed to FA?
:dunno: Sure looks like it. If so, Cincy should go now!! he is solid as receiver and runner, and could be an everydown back to go with whoever they draft. I like him over Bush, by a mile.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
30 years old, high price tag - go ahead bengals
30 yrs old, coming off a major injury; price tag won't be as high as many think.

That said, I ONLY like this for them if it is a short term (1 yr, 2 yr max) deal for reasonable money. Or....a longer deal that is back loaded in which he will never see. He does do a lot of things that can help him, but only for another year or two IMO. Kinda reminds me of when Thomas Jones left Chicago for the Jets at 29. He had his best 2 years at age 30 and 31.....then went down hill very quickly. I can see Fred Jackson following a similar track.

Phicinfan

Administrator
30 yrs old, coming off a major injury; price tag won't be as high as many think.

That said, I ONLY like this for them if it is a short term (1 yr, 2 yr max) deal for reasonable money. Or....a longer deal that is back loaded in which he will never see. He does do a lot of things that can help him, but only for another year or two IMO. Kinda reminds me of when Thomas Jones left Chicago for the Jets at 29. He had his best 2 years at age 30 and 31.....then went down hill very quickly. I can see Fred Jackson following a similar track.
Lets be clear here, first it was not that major an injury, he had a broken leg, not a knee injury or such.
Second, yes price may be somewhat high, but not extravagant, and as I said, sign him, draft good solid young rb and you are set long term. Use Fred till the rookie pans out.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I would add Fred has better health record than Bush too.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
For one, I don't see Bush as an option in Cincy, he does not fit the offense.

Second, at 30 years old in the NFL, I consider a broken leg fairly serious. It ended a season mid way thorough the year, it's not like he bruised his leg.

bobbeaux

he is unless the tagged him; I don't believe he has been extended, has he?

GM Buddy Nix said he wants Fred Jackson to finish his career as a Bill.Jackson is entering the final year of his contract and wants a new deal. The problem is that he'll be 31 in February, is coming off a fractured fibula and C.J. Spiller emerged in a big way down the stretch. The Bills may force Jackson to play out his contract in 2012. Jan 9 - 11:19 AMSource: Rodney McKissic on Twitter

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
GM Buddy Nix said he wants Fred Jackson to finish his career as a Bill.Jackson is entering the final year of his contract and wants a new deal. The problem is that he'll be 31 in February, is coming off a fractured fibula and C.J. Spiller emerged in a big way down the stretch. The Bills may force Jackson to play out his contract in 2012. Jan 9 - 11:19 AMSource: Rodney McKissic on Twitter
Good info Bob, not sure why I was under the impression that he was FA....