Bengals QB Carson Palmer won't need surgery

Coachnorm

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer won’t need surgery on his right elbow and should be ready for the team’s regular offseason workouts. Team spokesman Jack Brennan said Tuesday night the latest MRI on Palmer’s elbow indicates the quarterback won’t need an operation to repair a ligament and tendon partially torn from the bone.
Palmer hurt the elbow during a 26-23 overtime loss to the Giants in the third week of the season and played in only one more game. Instead of getting reconstructive surgery, Palmer chose to rest the elbow for two months and see if it healed.

Bengals: MRI shows Palmer won't need surgery - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Here is some more info on Palmer and Keith Rivers both being ready for offseason workouts. This is great news for Bengal fans, but I will say it sounds like this could be something to be concerned about with Palmer the rest of his career.

Palmer is on course to be cleared March 1 without surgery on his throwing elbow while remaining on a pitch count in California, and after Rivers had arthroscopic surgery to clean out an ankle both are expected to be full go when the club's offseason conditioning is expected to begin in late March.
The Bengals said Tuesday that the results of Palmer's Dec. 26 MRI continue to show that the small tear in his ulna collateral ligament has healed enough without surgery. Head coach Marvin Lewis has insisted for the past two months that Palmer would not need surgery and the latest MRI, combined with his late-season practice sessions, and the exams following those workouts have combined to prove Lewis right.

Palmer is now rehabbing at his winter home and while there are no restrictions on what kind of passes he can throw, he apparently has a limit on how many in what will now probably be a career-long pitch count when it comes to practice. But all signs look to be go when the Bengals report back to Paul Brown Stadium to start the offseason workouts in late March that includes throwing to receivers before the on-field activities in mid May.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
This is good news for the Bengals. Fitzpatrick did his best, but it certainly isnt Palmer.

Coachnorm

It's great that Palmer will be back as he a big cog missing in this O. Now that this season is water under the dam at least Fitzpatrick has picked up some valuable reps. He was virtually untested having only 4 games with the Rams in 2005. The Backup QB situation in Cinncy has gone from virtually untested to battle-tested.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Hopefully they also learned they need to spend their first rounder on an offensive lineman. Then their second. And third for that matter.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Hopefully they also learned they need to spend their first rounder on an offensive lineman. Then their second. And third for that matter.
Honestly, this could be a huge issue.

They did not sign ROT (Andrews) to a long term contract. Instead only tagging him. They have Housh as a UFA. LOT is an injury issue, and the center just sucks. The rookie that played OT for them Collins I think his name is...did okay. But they really need to address the OL big time.

This draft will be very important for Cincy. The defense was hugely improved with its new system. CB and LB look solid, with more help at DE needed. However, if they can address the O-line....and get a power back (re-sign Benson..or draft or trade....) they could do very well.

My gut tells me that they need to sign Andrews...and then tag Housh. Then trade Ocho Cinco for picks to address the O-line more.

Only time will tell though

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Personally I'd let Andrews walk if they can't get him for a reasonable price. He's coming off of a torn ACL and IMO didn't exactly live up to the hype this year. Collins is a nice replacement at ROT if they don't bring him back.

They need to draft a OT, weather it's at 1 or even in the 2nd or 3rd. They need to go out and find a competent center via free agency. Guards are set, but Levi scares me at LT, so a franchise LT may be a good idea.

OL needs to be top priority this offseason.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I was under the impression the Bengals were not going to tag Housh....
Where did you pick up this impression? Housh has asked no to be, but I think most that follow the team expect him to be tagged.....it's the smart thing to do, not that the Bengals do the smart thing very often, but I think they do tag him in the end.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
So if he's making all the throws and is ready to rock, can I safely take the idea that he never played a freaking down this year (well almost never) because Lewis didn't want to get his prize pig slaughtered in a throw away season? It sure sounds like if the Bengals were in contention for a playoff position he likely would have been playing. Not trying to rag on your boy Miller & Phic just curious.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So if he's making all the throws and is ready to rock, can I safely take the idea that he never played a freaking down this year (well almost never) because Lewis didn't want to get his prize pig slaughtered in a throw away season? It sure sounds like if the Bengals were in contention for a playoff position he likely would have been playing. Not trying to rag on your boy Miller & Phic just curious.
First, he has only been making all the throws in the last couple of weeks.
Second, the med staff has not released him to play, and had no intentions of it from all I have read.
This was a serious injury, and two of the five doctors he got opinions from wanted him to get surgery. Similar to what Delholmme needed last year. So no, had they been playoffs or bound there...I still don't think he plays.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
First, he has only been making all the throws in the last couple of weeks.
Second, the med staff has not released him to play, and had no intentions of it from all I have read.
This was a serious injury, and two of the five doctors he got opinions from wanted him to get surgery. Similar to what Delholmme needed last year. So no, had they been playoffs or bound there...I still don't think he plays.

Then why did they carry him all season on the active roster and not place him on IR?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Then why did they carry him all season on the active roster and not place him on IR?
Quite honestly....I have no answer to that. Unless it has to do with some of his time accrued for bonuses and such. Fact is the med staff had no intention of letting him play more. At least that is what i have read in some areas.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Agree with Phic, I don't think it's safe to assume if they were in the hunt that he woudl have played......this was very close to an injury that needed serious surgey, the time off is what allowed it to heal, he needed that time.

I also have no answer at all to the last question on why he was not IR's....

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Him not going on IR is what got me to don the tinfoil hat (we need a smilie for that) about his injury status. Good point on incentives or other clauses.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
1. Ram, I tried to find it, but the link was dead

2. I am not sure about Palmer either. Time will tell.