2011 Free Agent RB Discussion

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
A list of FA RBs (the important ones) in 2011 - Who goes where? Who needs to be re-signed? Who is over the hill?

Tim Hightower - Arizona Cardinals

Jerrious Norwood - Atlanta Falcons
Jason Snelling - Atlanta Falcons

DeAngelo Williams - Carolina Panthers

Cedric Benson - Cincinnati Bengals
Brian Leonard - Cincinnati Bengals

Lawrence Maroney - Denver Broncos

Kevin Smith - Detroit Lions

Brandon Jackson - Green Bay Packers

Joseph Addai - Indianapolis Colts

Ronnie Brown - Miami Dolphins
Ricky Williams - Miami Dolphins
Patrick Cobbs - Miami Dolphins (mentioned only because the others are FAs too)

Kevin Faulk - New England Patriots
Sammy Morris - New England Patriots
Fred Taylor - New England Patriots
Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis - New England Patriots (Only an RFA, but mentioned due to others)

Pierre Thomas - New Orleans Saints

Ahmad Bradshaw - New York Giants
DJ Ward - New York Giants

Michael Bush - Oakland Raiders

Jerome Harrison - Philadelphia Eagles

Mewelde Moore - Pittsburgh Steelers

Darren Sproles - San Diego Chargers
Mike Tolbert - San Diego Chargers

Brian Westbrook - San Francisco 49ers

Leon Washington - Seattle Seahawks

Kenneth Darby - St Louis Rams (the once cuff to SJax)

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A

Joseph Addai - Indianapolis Colts

These are the ones that immediately jump out at me.

Snelling - I hope this guy gets a shot at being the lead back somewhere. He definately has what it takes

DWill - I dont see him going back to Carolina, and I want to think he will sign for less to go to a contender

Addai - I think he needs to be willing to sign for less money as a #2 somewhere.

Sproles/Tolbert - Somehow, I think they end up back in SD

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
A list of FA RBs (the important ones) in 2011 - Who goes where? Who needs to be re-signed? Who is over the hill?

Tim Hightower - Arizona Cardinals

Cedric Benson - Cincinnati Bengals

Kevin Smith - Detroit Lions

Ronnie Brown - Miami Dolphins
Ricky Williams - Miami Dolphins

Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis - New England Patriots (Only an RFA, but mentioned due to others)

Pierre Thomas - New Orleans Saints

Ahmad Bradshaw - New York Giants

Michael Bush - Oakland Raiders

Jerome Harrison - Philadelphia Eagles

These are key guys to me.
Hightower, Snelling, Tolbert, D. Williams all I think look at FA and not immediately re-signing with the same team. All are young solid Rbs, that haven't been given a full chance to succeed. Other than DeWill. All could be solid lead backs, with ability to catch out of the backfield.

Of the rest listed above, I don't see NE letting the law firm go. I think they draft a kid, but will use Woodhead(so Faulk is gone imo) and Law firm to run as this year til the rook is ready.

Miami is a mess, I don't see both back, had it not been for Ricky's comments on Sporano...I would say he would be back, but I think both go FA...and not sure they will contribute much.

Benson I think is gone. I think Cincy wants to go a new direction, and get quicker at Rb....so maybe they give Scott a shot, or they go get a Tolbert or draft a kid. I definately think they like Leonard in 3rd down situations...but Scott needs to see more of that. Not sure if they resign Leonard or not.

Bradshaw is going nowhere.
Bush may go, and may be a solid addition somewhere.

Harrison and PT will need someone to take a risk on them. If PT stays, it won't be for big money, as I think the Saints lost faith in him. As for Harrison...he will always be a back up for Philly, not sure he is more than that anyways.

Sproles I think stays to help out Matthews.

I think Addai is gone, and I think no one will really want him until injuries start popping up.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I've read that the newspapers in Indy think that keeping Addai is a must for the team due to his all round abilities and especially his pass blocking.
I expect Bush or PT to be gone from New Orleans. They both would be gone had not Ivory been injured.
I think Ricky will remain with the Fish in spite of his stupidity.
Agreed that Bradshw will be retained at whatever the cost.

I'd love to see Snelling get a crack at being the number 1 RB for some team.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Bradshaw is an interesting situation. If they pay him big money to come back, then Id think Jacobs is probably toast when he comes up for FA in 2013, as he would be a 30 year old power back who is close to the "losing a step" catagory.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I've read that the newspapers in Indy think that keeping Addai is a must for the team due to his all round abilities and especially his pass blocking.

Three problems with this one brother Mud.

1. Addai cant keep his arse on the field.

2. These guys are also imporant Colts AND FAs this year:

Robert Mathis
4 out of the 5 Defensive Tackles now or in 2012
Clint Session
Melvin Bullit
Adam Vinatieri

3. The following people come up for FA in the next two seasons:

Reggie Wayne - 2012
Pierre Garcon - 2012
Jacob Tamme - 2012
Jeff Saturday - 2012
Anthony Gonzalez - 2012
Austin Collie - 2013
Peyton Manning - 2013

7 offensive lineman in the next two years including every tackle on the roster

Thats alot of needs. Addai aint gonna get paid what he thinks he is.

Arctic Dawgs

Addai is a special kind of problem to figure out. Last year I figured he was near done and grabbed Brown in several leagues. Even dropped Roddy White to keep Brown in 1 league. That sure didn't work out even though Addai missed a bunch of games. If they let him go who is gonna replace him, and I ain't talking fantasy. He ain't gonna get huge $$ anywhere, but Indy might pay him more than anyone else will just because of need

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I guess alot of it is going to come down to what Addai thinks he can realistically get. Dominic Rhodes learned he should have kept his arse in Indy. Addai is going to have to be willing to probably take less.

It wouldnt shock me to see Indy take a back in the first couple rounds (I believe they have the picks). You could have a guy like Longshore out of Illinois there for the taking.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I could have sworn Lynch was an FA this year, did he get extended when Seattle traded for him? Or is this is last year coming up?

storminn0rm

Brewmaster

Tim Hightower - Zona should keep Hightower for a 1-2 punch with him and Wells

Jerrious Norwood - Try to keep
Jason Snelling - Falcons have to keep Snelling

DeAngelo Williams - IMO the hottest FA RB on the market

Cedric Benson - Can't see Cinci keeping him. I think they give Bernard Scott the starting gig.
Brian Leonard - Keep him as the back up

Lawrence Maroney - He sucks, plain and simple. Maybe a UFL team will take him.

Kevin Smith - Lions should keep him. Best and Smith would be a nice 1-2 punch.

Brandon Jackson - Can't see them keeping Jackson after seeing Starks work and Grant coming back.

Joseph Addai - Thought he was out and Brown was in. But injury problems are there for both. If he takes less money, Indy should keep him.

Ronnie Brown - Out
Ricky Williams - I can see him retiring
Patrick Cobbs - Keep for cheap if possible

Kevin Faulk - Out
Sammy Morris - Keep for cheap
Fred Taylor - Out and should retire
Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis - Keep him and Woodhead

Pierre Thomas - With Ivory emerging this year, Thomas might be out

Ahmad Bradshaw - Giants will pay him
DJ Ward - Keep to learn from Jacobs

Michael Bush - Al Davis=no idea

Jerome Harrison - Keep to back up McCoy

Mewelde Moore - Out with emergence of Redman

Darren Sproles - Might want more money than Chargers are willing to pay
Mike Tolbert - Have to keep after this season

Brian Westbrook - Should retire

Leon Washington - Keep

Kenneth Darby - try to sign for a couple years

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Good thoughts there Norm.

Looks like the Colts are going to give Peyton Manning the equivalent of a "max" deal one more time (pay more than Brady gets). Thats going to take alot of bread off the table with a bunch of key guys left to be signed.

Manning is almost 35 years old and already set for life financially. I wonder if he would be willing to step up to the plate and take less than Brady to help the team.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ill take a stab at my own list:

Tim Hightower - Arizona Cardinals (They need to re-sign him. Get a RB coach who can get the fumbles worked out of him, but he is obviously the more useful back in this offense)

Jerrious Norwood - Atlanta Falcons - (I really think its best to let him go. The injuries have just been too much lately)
Jason Snelling - Atlanta Falcons - (The Falcons have a bonifide #1 back here. They need to pay this man, because if they dont a team like Indianapolis just might)

DeAngelo Williams - Carolina Panthers - (Going to a contender somewhere)

Cedric Benson - Cincinnati Bengals - (Probably a goner. Not really sure just where he actually ends up)
Brian Leonard - Cincinnati Bengals - (Good special teams guy. Always a place for guys like this at a discounted rate)

Lawrence Maroney - Denver Broncos - (Needs to be willing to be a second banana somewhere, and its probably not going to be a contender either)

Kevin Smith - Detroit Lions - (Injuries are a major concern. Depends on how the team feels about Maurice Morris going forward)

Brandon Jackson - Green Bay Packers - (Starks probably took his job.)

Joseph Addai - Indianapolis Colts - (either will be re-signed for lower pay or gone as a second banana to someone who will over pay him. (Al Davis) )

Ronnie Brown - Miami Dolphins - (Never been the same since the injury. Probably going to be a guy who will wait for a camp injury.)
Ricky Williams - Miami Dolphins - (I think he will sign a cheaper contract and give the Fins one, maybe two more seasons)
Patrick Cobbs - Miami Dolphins (mentioned only because the others are FAs too)(Probably a good idea to pick him up for a year with a team option for a second)

Kevin Faulk - New England Patriots - (I think he will be back)
Sammy Morris - New England Patriots - (I think he will be back as well)
Fred Taylor - New England Patriots - (Needs to retire. Will probably not like that comment and re-surface somewhere)
Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis - New England Patriots (Only an RFA, but mentioned due to others)(I think he will get a slightly better new deal)

Pierre Thomas - New Orleans Saints - (I think his replacement will be taken in the draft)

Ahmad Bradshaw - New York Giants - (They will pay)
DJ Ward - New York Giants - (They will pay)

Michael Bush - Oakland Raiders - (Interesting prospect. I think he will test the waters and then Al will overpay him)

Jerome Harrison - Philadelphia Eagles - (Going to be looking to start somewhere. Will end up as a backup with another team)

Mewelde Moore - Pittsburgh Steelers - (Backup with another team)

Darren Sproles - San Diego Chargers - (He will get paid)
Mike Tolbert - San Diego Chargers - (He will be gone I think.)

Brian Westbrook - San Francisco 49ers - (Will wait around for someone to get desperate or injury ravaged)

Leon Washington - Seattle Seahawks - (They need to re-sign him ASAP)

Kenneth Darby - St Louis Rams (the once cuff to SJax) - (Theyll let him go and get a guy in the drafts lower rounds)

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay, my turn again. Lets do this as others have, as it is easier to follow.

Tim Hightower - Arizona Cardinals: They need to keep him. But he may not want to stay if he has to be a back up constantly. I think he is gone.

Jerrious Norwood - Atlanta Falcons: Gone. can't stay healthy. Will draft a change of pace or pick up a cheap FA
Jason Snelling - Atlanta Falcons: I think they want to keep him, and try. But someone may super pay out like ATL did for Turner. For now though I will say stay.

DeAngelo Williams - Carolina Panthers: gone. I think with the emergence of Goodson, and contract of Stewart and all their needs, he is gone. He will be huge for some team though.

Cedric Benson - Cincinnati Bengals: gone. The fact they didn't resign him during the year is telling to me. Not sure if they give Scott the shot, but it won't be Benson...especially if Bratkowski is kept.
Brian Leonard - Cincinnati Bengals: Stay. They love him on Special teams and 3rd down, and he will resign for low money.

Lawrence Maroney - Denver Broncos: prison. either way won't be a Bronco

Kevin Smith - Detroit Lions: I think he is gone. I here tons of rumors Miami wants him. With Morris and Best...I think Detroit lets him go.

Brandon Jackson - Green Bay Packers: Gone. Grant will be back, and Starks will be back up.

Joseph Addai - Indianapolis Colts: Gone. Brown is there, Hart will be back and they can always snag Rhodes or some such later if needed.

Ronnie Brown - Miami Dolphins: Gone - change of pace for someone.
Ricky Williams - Miami Dolphins: Gone - already said he was ready to move on.
Patrick Cobbs - Miami Dolphins (mentioned only because the others are FAs too): no idea. probably will be back cheap if no one is interested.

Kevin Faulk - New England Patriots: Gone see Woodhead
Sammy Morris - New England Patriots: Stay - depth and special teams help
Fred Taylor - New England Patriots: Gone
Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis - New England Patriots (Only an RFA, but mentioned due to others): Stay, they will pay to keep him.

Pierre Thomas - New Orleans Saints: before injury, i would say this is a lock. Now though, I think both he and Bush may be gone. Ivory can be a solid fill in, and look for them to draft another Rb as well.

Ahmad Bradshaw - New York Giants : Stays, gets paid, forces move of other Rbs.
DJ Ward - New York Giants: May be gone depending on cost of Bradshaw.

Michael Bush - Oakland Raiders: I think Gone. I see someone throwing money at him to get him. Like him for Cincy actually.

Jerome Harrison - Philadelphia Eagles : for now I will say stay. I think he shops, but ends up as back up to McCoy.

Mewelde Moore - Pittsburgh Steelers : gone

Darren Sproles - San Diego Chargers : I think they want him. If he costs too much he is gone, and Tolbert stays.
Mike Tolbert - San Diego Chargers : I really think they want him, but with Matthews salary, and maybe Sproles, it may be too much. Good canidate for a team needing a Rb.

Brian Westbrook - San Francisco 49ers: might be back as back up, but that is pretty much it.

Leon Washington - Seattle Seahawks: I think they want him for returns, but he won't be used much otherwise, he may want to go to try and get more playing time.

Kenneth Darby - St Louis Rams (the once cuff to SJax)[/QUOTE] Gone, I look for St. Louis to start preparing for Jackson's end. So I see them drafting the back of the future.

Tashard Choice/Marion Barber III - My gut tells me one of them is gone. I simply can't see them sitting on all three Rbs, and Jones will be back. I think Choice should stay, but not sure on teams view of him. Barber is the costliest, so he is targeted by most to go. I am a huge choice mark...so I hope he gets his shot.

Non-FAs

Gore: Don't get me wrong here, he is back. But with a new coaching staff..not sure of the depth chart. Still the young rookie they drafted looks very promising.

Moreno: Hasn't lived up to his billing and cost, and now new coach and VIP are in. could they look to draft or acquire a more work horse type back?