1 concussed, 2 concussed, 3 concussions more

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Dennis Pitta, Isaac Redman and LeSean "Shady" McCoy all three suffered confirmed concussions in Sunday's ballgames. In addition there were three other head injuries not believed to be concussions including Ogletree.

In brighter news following the dissapointing game from Nick Foles it seems a miracle has happened with Michael Vick's concussion from last week and insted of missing the rest of the year he could be cleared to return on Sunday.

gizzil

One wonders if the constant head trauma during the rest of the year builds until the one blow which actually is a "quantifiable" brain injury... and perhaps this is why the later weeks tend to yield more "long lasting" head injuries

catman

Baseball "Expert"
Head injuries are progressively worse. I have no idea how many times these guys get their "bell rung", but you've got to understand that several of these incidents may have been concussions.
Something has to be done to improve headgear in the NFL, as the game is much faster and players are much larger than they were in years past. In the '50s a guy that weighed 250# was very big. Now there are QBs that heavy.

cctekguy

Staff member
These numbers don't make sense.

How much of this is actually the result of harder hits and how much of it is a looser definition of what a concussion is?

I can't help but think that those guys in the '50s you spoke of would stagger to the sideline, sit until they quit seeing double, then went back in the game.

Not saying what's right or wrong, just that there is more than just harder hits going on to produce these kinds of numbers.

gizzil

most definitely, tek... i heard an interview with big cat williams (bears tackle for like 11 years, not that long ago 91-02) where he said "oh yeah, we used to call those 'dings' - you got dinged, went to the sideline or kept playing. you may not remember the next 5-10 plays but after awhile it clears" I would say that was just business as usual up until the past 2 years

jjtweeks

It is definitely a combination of the two; back then they played through it just not knowing exactly what a concussion was(the players) or to name it so, and the guys these days are a different breed (in terms of size and speed). There were most likely a larger number of concussions back then as there were reported

catman

Baseball "Expert"
Look at what happened to Alex Karras. He played for the Lions in the 50's and 60's and recently died of his injuries. His health has been failing for many years.