If I were each team's GM - Phicinfan's wishful thinking 2020 NFL Mock draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Here we go, I will also explain any trades or moves as best I can. Again, this is all speculation on my part...but I now have draft experts taking Qbs for Jags ... so ..

Pick #1 - Cincinnati - Joe Burrows Qb LSU - surprised? No? Good, but wait, I am not done yet ;)
Pick #2 - Washington - Chase Young DE Ohio State - I really waffled here. I don't believe for ONE minute that new HC is into Haskins. That being said, the ONLY value at Qb IMO is Tua, and he has an injury history. No, this team will go back to what made him successful in Carolina. Fix the lines. Add Chase young to Sweat and Kerrigan, and this becomes a scary NFC East defense. Possibly one of the best.
Pick #3 - Detroit - Jeff Okudah Cb Ohio State - this in my opinion is foreordained since the deal sending Slay to Philly. ONLY way this does not happen....is if some one jumps up HUGE for Tua, and quite frankly I don't see it.
Pick #4 - NY Giants - Tristan Wirfs OT Iowa - I was really split here. The need at OL is huge to protect their future at Qb and Rb. Need for Defense is just if not MORE huge. All that being said, I think Gettlemen has to make his decision last year work, and to do that he needs to protect him better. That need out weighs others.
Pick # 5 - TRADE - Miami sends Pick #5, #18, #26 in 2020 and 1st rounder in 2021 to Cincinnati for Joe Burrows Qb LSU - Cincinnati picks Tua Tagovailoa Qb Alabama - Now to explain. Miami needs its future Qb. By all reports the owner is in LOVE with Burrows and so is the coaching staff. But to get him, they will have to offer the moon to Cincy, and thus the 4 first round picks. Now, I will say this is an unprecedented haul, but it isn't that big a reach. Cincinnati has a ton of holes to fill, and Miami has made smart moves in FA, and still have a ton of picks later in this draft. Risky move, but I really think it has to be done to make both teams better. This move also locks Dalton in for the year in Cincy, until Tua really is ready to take over.
Pick #6 - L.A. Chargers - Justin Hebert Qb Oregon - I happen to like Love more than Hebert. However, Love's value is not this high, and I don't think Chargers get anyone to bite on moving down. So they get Qb of the future here.
Pick #7 - Carolina - Derrick Brown DT Auburn - I know many have Simmons going to Carolina here - but it isn't the right fit. Carolina needs a real ILB, and Simmons is more OLB and potentially S. Brown is a stud in the middle, which Carolina has to rebuild.
Pick #8 - Arizona - Jedrick Wills Jr OT Alabama - time to protect your best asset on Offense with a lineman that can protect him, which was a HUGE issue for Cardinals last year.
Pick #9 - Jacksonville - Jordan Love Qb Utah State - All they have at Qb now is Gardner Minshew, and his is not the future. This will be a hard decision for Jags, as they have needs at Cb, LB, DL and OL. But I think they have to set up for the future, and if they try to wait, someone will trade up to get Love.
Pick #10 - Cleveland - Mekhi Bechton OT Louisville - Baker has tools, but needs more OL help. Conklin will take the ROT, and this HUGE kid will take the LOT. Bookend OTs that will keep Baker on his feet, and free up more room for running game.
Pick #11 - NY Jets - Jerry Jeudy Wr Alabama - this is new for me, I had them going OL before and trading down and taking Wr later. But it is time to realize what this team has done. They have picked up a ton of OL help in FA, and they have let their best Wr leave in FA. You cannot develop a young Qb and not give him the tools to work with, and I am NOT a Perriman fan. No, they have to go WR here, and give Sam Darnold what he needs.
Pick #12 - Las Vegas - C. J. Henderson Cb Florida - Does the Raiders need Wrs, absolutely. However, they also need to fix this back end of the defense, and this kid is almost as good as Okudah. Wr is very, very deep in this draft, and Raiders will get one later that will help them. But you can't pass up the talent this kid has in a need that is so great.
Pick #13 - San Francisco - DT Javon Kinlaw South Carolina - Sorry 49ers fan, I know you think Wr is an issue, and it is. But not nearly as big an issue IMO as losing Buckner in the middle of the defense. I happen to think this is why they did it, get younger and cheaper than Buckner. Wr can be addressed later.
Pick #14 - Tampa Bay - Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - They have Tom, they have Evans and Godwin, they have OJ Howard and Brate, but they need major help at OT and Rb. I would LOVE to put Swift here, but I don't believe in drafting Rbs in the first round, not this high. They don't last usually, and can be had later in the draft for better value. Keeping Tom alive and on his feet is a much higher need.
Pick #15 - Denver - Henry Ruggs III Wr Alabama - surprised? Taking Ruggs vs. CeeDee Lamb? Here is the thing, they have Sutton on the other side, what they really need is speed, to draw coverage away from Sutton. Ruggs is that guy, but the difference is, he is fast AND really good. Had any of the other OTs been here, that would have been my choice, but this fits a huge need for Denver.
PIck #16 - Atlanta - Isaiah Simmons OLB Clemson - Shocked he fell here, so am I. But here is the thing, he is a tweener. He is a great player but there is huge confusion from all reports on if he is a large S or a smallish LB. Atlanta desperately needs help both ways, and the HC is a defensive minded coach who knows how to best use tools like this.

Rest on next post

Phicinfan

Administrator
Pick #17 - Dallas - K'Lavon Chaisson DE LSU - Dallas needs Cbs and Pass rush, but a great pass rush HELPS Cbs. With the loss of Quinn, they need the pass rush and this kid is really special.
Pick #18 - Cincinnati - Trade previous with Miami - Patrick Queen ILB LSU - Biggest hole in the Bengals defense has been at LB. They have addressed the back field in FA, and gotten DL depth as well. But they are in dire, dire need at LB. This kid is the ILB they have needed for some time.
Pick #19 - Las Vegas - CeeDee Lamb Wr Oklahoma - Wow, see, I was right. They got the much needed Cb they had to have AND the Wr that Carr or Mariota needs to develop with. I am a friggen genius :D
Pick #20 - Jacksonville - Trevon Diggs Cb Alabama - Have to address the fact they lost both starting Corners last year and this FA period. So this is the first move to get that taken care of.
Pick #21 - Philadelphia - Kenneth Murray ILB Oklahoma - surprised? Not if you are a Philly fan. One of the biggest issues Philly has had on defense is LB play. They have not had a solid ILB in forever, and it hurts the run defense. More pass rush is also needed, but the talent level isn't there yet. Wr is desperately needed, but lets face facts, this draft is loaded at Wr, but not at ILB. After Murray and Queen the talent drops dramatically. As a long time Philly fan, I would LOVE to see this move.
PIck #22 - Minnesota - Damon Arnette Cb Ohio State - they lost all their starting cornerbacks this year, and have to replace them with top line talent to fix that defense. This kid was the big unknown in Ohio State as Okudah got all the hype, but he is very solid.
Pick #23 - New England - A. J. Epenesa DE Iowa - they need to restock the defense after all the hits they took in FA, and while Wr is a need, I don't see the Patriots going Wr in the first round again as they have not had much luck. This kid fits their defense well, and will fill a key need.
Pick #24 - New Orleans - A. J. Terrell Cb Clemson - have to fill the hole that Apple has left
Pick #25 - Minnesota - Yetur Gross-Matos DE Penn State - have to account for loss of pass rush with loss of Griffen.
Pick #26 - Cincinnati - previous trade with Miami - Cesar Ruiz C/OG Michigan - OL was a HUGE issue with Cincinnati - they have a FA at C, and the OGs are not the best. This kid could play Guard or Center, and would allow them much needed flexibility on the line.
Pick #27 - Seattle - Zach Baun OLB Wisconsin - they need outside pass rush with the loss of Clowney. This kid had 12.5 sacks last year and has great around the corner speed that they need for rushing the passer.
Pick #28 - Baltimore - Robert Hunt OG Louisiana - They have to rebuild the OL with the loss of Yanda. Big huge kid will fill in nicely to make room for Ingram and Jackson
PIck #29 - Tennessee - Josh Jones OT Houston- have to replace Conklin, and protect Tannehill and make room for Henry
Pick #30 - Green Bay - Justin Jefferson Wr LSU - They need someone to draw the heat away from Adams
Pick #31 - San Francisco - Tee Higgens Wr Clemson - and thus got the Wr they needed, at a great cost.
Pick #32 - Kansas City - D'Andre Swift Rb Georgia - How do you make the best offense better? Give them the true replacement for Hunt with this kid. I am not a fan of first round Rbs, but to get him late first round price is right and if he stays healthy they get the 5th year option to keep him while prime.

Walter34

4 1sts + Tua as one of the picks - Is there a Bengal fan in here doing this mock?

I like the deal but wow!

Phicinfan

Administrator
4 1sts + Tua as one of the picks - Is there a Bengal fan in here doing this mock?

I like the deal but wow!
Actually I am an eagles fan. But the deal doesn’t happen if they don’t go above and beyond

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will add one other scenario, that being Bengals don’t want Tua due to injury concerns, so if someone trades up to get Tua, they can then squeeze Miami for more to get Burrows from them.

but that would require Bengals to be really sly

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
As a Bengals fan, that's about the only way i'd get behind it. No way anyone pays 4 1st's IMO, but I'd be down if they did.

At the end of the day, Joe's going back to Ohio.

Walter34

Is Burrows the best, most guaranteed qb prospect since ... Luck?

I would say yes - looking at the last 8 years, all 1st round QBs had some questions. Several went 1 overall but they weren't considered mortal locks to succeed.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will add one other scenario, that being Bengals don’t want Tua due to injury concerns, so if someone trades up to get Tua, they can then squeeze Miami for more to get Burrows from them.

but that would require Bengals to be really sly
And....... as if I can read into the future, just released by Adam Schefter on ESPN is that Miami may not be all that into Tua....... Just saying.... not saying they would ever do this crazy deal....