The value was too good to pass up

ExperiencedRookie

14 team, 14 round, PPR, live in person draft.

QB RB WR WR TE FLEX K D

I drew the 10th overall pick. For whatever reason, WRs were all the rage.

I did this draft without a cheat sheet for the first time ever. I knew players I wanted, so I simply rolled with it.

Melvin Gordon
Devante Adams
Jordan Howard
Joe Mixon
Marquis Goodwin
Kyle Rudolph
Kirk Cousins
Peyton Barber
Mike Williams
Aaron Jones
John Brown
Carlos Hyde
Car D
Gano

I only glanced over at my neighbor's cheat sheet to see that Hyde was still there in the 12th. Almost couldn't believe it. Pick #159. His ADP is #80. Really needed another WR, but I couldn't pass on that value.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
14 team, 14 round, PPR, live in person draft.

QB RB WR WR TE FLEX K D

I drew the 10th overall pick. For whatever reason, WRs were all the rage.

I did this draft without a cheat sheet for the first time ever. I knew players I wanted, so I simply rolled with it.

Melvin Gordon
Devante Adams
Jordan Howard
Joe Mixon
Marquis Goodwin
Kyle Rudolph
Kirk Cousins
Peyton Barber
Mike Williams
Aaron Jones
John Brown
Carlos Hyde
Car D
Gano

I only glanced over at my neighbor's cheat sheet to see that Hyde was still there in the 12th. Almost couldn't believe it. Pick #159. His ADP is #80. Really needed another WR, but I couldn't pass on that value.
So, you are starting:
Qb - cousins
Rb - Gordon
Wr - Adams
Wr - Goodwin
Flex - J. Howard
Te - Rudolph
K - Gano
D - Carolina
Bench:
Rb - A. Jones(out 3 weeks for suspension?), C. Hyde, P. Barber, Mixon
Wr - John Brown (YUCK!!), Mike Williams(YES!)
Te - None
Qb - None

So starting wise you are pretty set up! Depth wise you could be hurting at Wr and Qb.
My main concerns - Your Rbs in PPR are lacking - Gordon may be fine - but Howard is not ppr material really, nor is Dixon, nor Hyde. Barber could be okay
Wrs - Adams is really solid, I am very high on Goodwin this year so nice!, Williams in LAC land also nice. John Brown is very rarely helpful.
Tes - not sure Rudolph will help you much as passing game in Minny will be through Diggs, Theilan and Cook.

So might want to make some moves here with all that Rb depth - getting Wr help and maybe a better Te option

ExperiencedRookie

So, you are starting:
Qb - cousins
Rb - Gordon
Wr - Adams
Wr - Goodwin
Flex - J. Howard
Te - Rudolph
K - Gano
D - Carolina
Bench:
Rb - A. Jones(out 3 weeks for suspension?), C. Hyde, P. Barber, Mixon
Wr - John Brown (YUCK!!), Mike Williams(YES!)
Te - None
Qb - None

So starting wise you are pretty set up! Depth wise you could be hurting at Wr and Qb.
My main concerns - Your Rbs in PPR are lacking - Gordon may be fine - but Howard is not ppr material really, nor is Dixon, nor Hyde. Barber could be okay
Wrs - Adams is really solid, I am very high on Goodwin this year so nice!, Williams in LAC land also nice. John Brown is very rarely helpful.
Tes - not sure Rudolph will help you much as passing game in Minny will be through Diggs, Theilan and Cook.

So might want to make some moves here with all that Rb depth - getting Wr help and maybe a better Te option
You don't think Mixon is going to be involved in the passing game? I disagree. I bet he catches 40 balls.

There's talk of Howard improving his receiving this offseason as well.

Everything I've heard out of Baltimore is that Brown is the most impressive WR in camp. You're right though...dude never translates on the field.

What's with dogging Rudolph? I don't mind that guy. Sure, he won't have 75 catches, but the TD upside is there.

Phicinfan

Administrator
You don't think Mixon is going to be involved in the passing game? I disagree. I bet he catches 40 balls.

There's talk of Howard improving his receiving this offseason as well.

Everything I've heard out of Baltimore is that Brown is the most impressive WR in camp. You're right though...dude never translates on the field.

What's with dogging Rudolph? I don't mind that guy. Sure, he won't have 75 catches, but the TD upside is there.
No Mixon won't be involved, that is why they have Bernard, and if you watch this week he was in on all passing downs.
Howard is improving, and will be used more - but Cohen will be the X factor as by most reports he will be this offense's Tyreek Hill in KC offense. Not howard.
Yeah, Brown is always glowing in preseason then drops off and disappears in season. Its why he isn't in Arizona anymore.

Not really dogging Rudolph, but lets face it, Cook back will get redzone touches, and they will be a long passing game with Diggs and Thielan, just not believing the hype.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I guess I think a lot more of Brown than either of you guys. An 11th round pick that IF (I know it's a mighty big word to be so short) he manages to stay healthy will easily be a WR 3 IMO. Yeah his health is a worry but he's almost made it through the preseason without a setback so maybe, just maybe he's turned the corner. Well worth an 11th round pick to my way of thinking. I really like Adams and Goodwin and Williams is going to be a red zone target worth having. If you stay healthy I don't see a problem with your WR's.

ExperiencedRookie

No Mixon won't be involved, that is why they have Bernard, and if you watch this week he was in on all passing downs.
Howard is improving, and will be used more - but Cohen will be the X factor as by most reports he will be this offense's Tyreek Hill in KC offense. Not howard.
Yeah, Brown is always glowing in preseason then drops off and disappears in season. Its why he isn't in Arizona anymore.

Not really dogging Rudolph, but lets face it, Cook back will get redzone touches, and they will be a long passing game with Diggs and Thielan, just not believing the hype.
Mixon had 30 catches as a rookie. That's already pretty involved. He's also had a catch in all 3 preseason games so far. 2 of those catches went for 20+ yards. They're going to toss him the ball.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Is that you conceding that Mixon will in fact be involved in the passing game?
yes he will get ONE pass. That is about it. Congrats.

Remind me again why you ask for feedback on your draft if all you want to do is get super defensive?

I will add, I had no issue with the Mixon pick, just called out you are Rb heavy in non-ppr backs.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Realistically I think his ceiling on receptions is about what he had last year as long as Geo stays healthy. Hard to see him with more than 30 IMO.

ExperiencedRookie

yes he will get ONE pass. That is about it. Congrats.

Remind me again why you ask for feedback on your draft if all you want to do is get super defensive?

I will add, I had no issue with the Mixon pick, just called out you are Rb heavy in non-ppr backs.
Notice how I didn't get defensive about Howard or Hyde? You're right. Those guys aren't PPR RBs. I just happen to think you're wrong on Mixon. He's already started with a 30 catch season as a rookie. He's also making nice plays catching the ball in limited work in the preseason.

FWIW, Gio only had 13 more catches than Mixon last year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Notice how I didn't get defensive about Howard or Hyde? You're right. Those guys aren't PPR RBs. I just happen to think you're wrong on Mixon. He's already started with a 30 catch season as a rookie. He's also making nice plays catching the ball in limited work in the preseason.

FWIW, Gio only had 13 more catches than Mixon last year.
Well, lets see since you don't want to drop it...

C. Hyde: 2017- 59 receptions 350 yards 0 TDs by air
Mixon: 2017 -30 receptions 287 yards 0 TDs by air
Bernard: 2017 - 43 receptions 389 yards 2 TDs by air
Howard: 2017 - 23 receptions 125 yards 0 TDs by air

So you admit Hyde and Howard are NOT ppr Rbs - BUT - Hyde out performed Mixon by 29 receptions and 63 yards
AND
Howard only had 7 less receptions than Mixon.

Net - Mixon is NOT a PPR Rb

thank you, thank you very much!

ExperiencedRookie

Well, lets see since you don't want to drop it...

C. Hyde: 2017- 59 receptions 350 yards 0 TDs by air
Mixon: 2017 -30 receptions 287 yards 0 TDs by air
Bernard: 2017 - 43 receptions 389 yards 2 TDs by air
Howard: 2017 - 23 receptions 125 yards 0 TDs by air

So you admit Hyde and Howard are NOT ppr Rbs - BUT - Hyde out performed Mixon by 29 receptions and 63 yards
AND
Howard only had 7 less receptions than Mixon.

Net - Mixon is NOT a PPR Rb

thank you, thank you very much!
I'm not going to take anything away from Gio. He's a decent pass catcher. He absolutely will not own 3rd downs though. Mixon is simply too good catching the ball to not throw it his way.

So far in their careers, Howard and Hyde have been pretty terrible in the receiving game. Now, you might say "but look at Hyde's 2017. He had 59 catches."

That's all well and good, but he also had 88 targets! That Shanny offense throws to RBs. A LOT. They had every chance to resign Hyde, but they wanted a guy like McKinnon instead. You know why?

Cause Hyde has a 5.9 yard per catch average. For a RB, that's garbage.

Howard's YPC last year was 5.4. Also garbage.

Mixon'? 9.6

Leveon has a career average of 8.5. Gurley is 10.2. Bernard's is 9.0.

I find it hilarious that you'll type out "Hyde out performed Mixon by 29 receptions and 63 yards" and not see that you're making my point.

29 more receptions.....for 63 yards? 63 whole yards?? If Mixon had Hyde's 88 targets, he would've had a 77-739 line based on his catch %.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I'm not going to take anything away from Gio. He's a decent pass catcher. He absolutely will not own 3rd downs though. Mixon is simply too good catching the ball to not throw it his way.

So far in their careers, Howard and Hyde have been pretty terrible in the receiving game. Now, you might say "but look at Hyde's 2017. He had 59 catches."

That's all well and good, but he also had 88 targets! That Shanny offense throws to RBs. A LOT. They had every chance to resign Hyde, but they wanted a guy like McKinnon instead. You know why?

Cause Hyde has a 5.9 yard per catch average. For a RB, that's garbage.

Howard's YPC last year was 5.4. Also garbage.

Mixon'? 9.6

Leveon has a career average of 8.5. Gurley is 10.2. Bernard's is 9.0.

I find it hilarious that you'll type out "Hyde out performed Mixon by 29 receptions and 63 yards" and not see that you're making my point.

29 more receptions.....for 63 yards? 63 whole yards?? If Mixon had Hyde's 88 targets, he would've had a 77-739 line based on his catch %.
Perhaps the issue is not IF they will get chances, but what your definition is of a Ppr Rb?
I don't deny Mixon will get SOME passes. I don't deny Hyde did well last year due to offense he is in. You are making assumptions. You assume Hyde is a bad ppr back because he has only been successful last year..... My point is, the same for all of them listed here. The offenses don't toss to Rbs a lot, and most are usually not considered ppr rbs. The other point you missed is...you say Hyde isn't a ppr back - which I agree with by the by..., but Mixon is, when Hyde out performed him.

Net, I agree to be a really good ppr back, you need ability AND opportunity. Kamara isn't Kamara in another offense, IMO, as N.O. really thrives using a back with his talent.

Cincy isn't a huge screen team to the Rbs, and they throw alot to TE and Wr. San Fran does throw to Rbs alot(now with Shanahan).

So, again, you are solid at Rb, but you are not loaded with alot of ppr rb talent.