End of season moves by NFL teams

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
For the record, Gruden has NOW come out and blatently admitted he WANTS to be HC of Oakland. They merely have to find a sacrificial lamb(that being a minority candidate to fit Rooney rule) to interview before they name him.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Rooney rule is such a joke. I feel bad for the guy being interviewed knowing he has no chance for the job.

Disagree completely! Rooney rule is one of the best initiates the NFL has adopted. The only problem is when teams want that big name splash without vetting candidates like Oakland is doing.

The rule is designed to get minority candidates exposure and ultimately opportunity which it has done. Even if a team has a predetermined choice in mind, interviewing other individuals still gives those people exposure and creates a chance for them to become noticed for future considerations.

When a GM is looking for a new HC his most reliable source of information for potential candidates is other GMs.

HC jobs are not positions that you announce in your local classifieds. If my local team needs a HC I can't just go down and put in an application. Teams 'invite' individuals to come in and 'interview' for the position. Most of the time the individual that is 'invited' is someone that is known throughout the GM circles. So those individuals always ended up being people that the GM's knew first hand or were currently on the staff in other capacities which I am sure you can see would lead to a very limited number of candidates. Why do you think HC's that fail keep getting recycled (Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Marion Campbell, Kevin Gilbride, etc, etc, etc.)

If you don't interject some type of system to get new blood into the mix then you will continue to only have that same 'good 'ol boys' network where the only new blood comes through your existing staff.

Now GM's are exposed to individuals they would have never even known to consider.

Even if a candidate is not offered the position they can impress enough that the GM will recommend that person to his other GM friends for interview when they are in need of HC candidates. Thus exposure and greater opportunity.

efactor

Coming at you
Disagree completely! Rooney rule is one of the best initiates the NFL has adopted. The only problem is when teams want that big name splash without vetting candidates like Oakland is doing.

The rule is designed to get minority candidates exposure and ultimately opportunity which it has done. Even if a team has a predetermined choice in mind, interviewing other individuals still gives those people exposure and creates a chance for them to become noticed for future considerations.

When a GM is looking for a new HC his most reliable source of information for potential candidates is other GMs.

HC jobs are not positions that you announce in your local classifieds. If my local team needs a HC I can't just go down and put in an application. Teams 'invite' individuals to come in and 'interview' for the position. Most of the time the individual that is 'invited' is someone that is known throughout the GM circles. So those individuals always ended up being people that the GM's knew first hand or were currently on the staff in other capacities which I am sure you can see would lead to a very limited number of candidates. Why do you think HC's that fail keep getting recycled (Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Marion Campbell, Kevin Gilbride, etc, etc, etc.)

If you don't interject some type of system to get new blood into the mix then you will continue to only have that same 'good 'ol boys' network where the only new blood comes through your existing staff.

Now GM's are exposed to individuals they would have never even known to consider.

Even if a candidate is not offered the position they can impress enough that the GM will recommend that person to his other GM friends for interview when they are in need of HC candidates. Thus exposure and greater opportunity.

You should be able to hire who you want without HAVING to interview somebody who you absolutely will not hire.

Raiders want to hire Gruden, but now they HAVE to interview a minority candidate. Waste of time. If the person interviewing who has no chance of getting the job has potential down the road, the team he currently works for will make a better advocate for a head coaching position than a team that interviewed him because they had to. The owners in the NFL have a good grasp of assistants and coordinators who have potential to be a head coach. The interviews should be on merit.

Last edited:

ExperiencedRookie

Why isn't there a rule to have to interview a female candidate? Don't they need exposure too?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Really nice post Deacon and you made some good points there. Over all though I think the rule sucks in general. I would not want to be the guy that was interviewed just because of my skin color. That smacks of racism to me. In the case of the Raiders I think it is ridiculous for them to "have to" interview a minority candidate before inking the guy they want.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Really nice post Deacon and you made some good points there. Over all though I think the rule sucks in general. I would not want to be the guy that was interviewed just because of my skin color. That smacks of racism to me. In the case of the Raiders I think it is ridiculous for them to "have to" interview a minority candidate before inking the guy they want.

And I understand this point completely but it begs the question. How do you rectify the problem of years of being the guy denied an interview because of my skin color?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The only recourse right now would be proving that's the reason you did not get interviewed in a court of law the same way most other racial issues are settled. Then I'd add that as an owner I should be able to hire who ever I desired. If I'm a card carrying member of the good ole boy club and I want to hire an old white man I think I should be able to but that's a story for another day.

Last edited:

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
The only recourse right now would be proving that's the reason you did not get interviewed in a court of law the same way most other racial issues are settled. Then I'd add that as an owner I should be able to hire who ever I desired. If I'm a card carrying member of the good ole boy club and I want to hire an old white man I think I should be able to but that's a story for another day.

You're right and all those things are actually true. The Rooney Rule does not dictate who you hire, it just stipulates you must interview a minority. You can still hire who you want to hire.

Arctic Dawgs

Saw an article somewhere just recently that Oak should do what Det did years ago when they hired Mooch. Just man up, be honest, show some integrity, and pay the fine

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The league has informed the Fritz Pollard Alliance that the Raiders fulfilled the Rooney Rule in their head-coaching search by interviewing two minority candidates.

The Fritz Pollard Alliance promotes diversity in coaching. According to SiriusXM's Adam Caplan, one of the Raiders' interviews was apparently in-house TEs coach Bobby Johnson. The other is unknown. Fulfilling the Rooney Rule was believed to be the Raiders' final hurdle in luring Jon Gruden out of the ESPN booth.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Phicinfan

Administrator
The league has informed the Fritz Pollard Alliance that the Raiders fulfilled the Rooney Rule in their head-coaching search by interviewing two minority candidates.

The Fritz Pollard Alliance promotes diversity in coaching. According to SiriusXM's Adam Caplan, one of the Raiders' interviews was apparently in-house TEs coach Bobby Johnson. The other is unknown. Fulfilling the Rooney Rule was believed to be the Raiders' final hurdle in luring Jon Gruden out of the ESPN booth.

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter
o_O They didn't think it necessary to share this and who they talked to? This, this right here is part of the NFL problem. What a mess. They just don't seem to learn.

Phicinfan

Administrator
New GM signed in Green bay - Guntekunst
Bellicheck says he will coach NE next year - big surprise there......
Panthers are now officially up for sale - per Owner being sued and all....

Bengals and Raiders are fighting over Teryl Austin DC of Detroit

Oh and Jay Gruden does not want the team to Tag Cousins again, either sign him long term or go different direction.