Preseason week 1

ExperiencedRookie

Newsflash. No one cares. No one is impressed. The only reason anyone wants to challenge you is to bring you back down to Earth.

I'm not intrigued in getting any kind of "education" from you. Nor is anyone else.

"The top of the fantasy world". What does that even mean? I've heard of LeBron James, Jimmie Johnson, Tom Brady, and Mo Rivera. Your name means absolutely nothing to me though. Hmmmmmm...coincidence??

ExperiencedRookie

Just watching the highlights now. Bradford looked GOOD tonight. He threw a few real nice passes, 1 of them being a beautiful deep ball to Chris Givens

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
Dude, I've already joined two Outlaws-related leagues since I got here a month ago--the Shut Up and Draft Fantasy Football League, which was named for me originally anyway when it started back in 2002 or so as a Fantasy Sports Wire board.

Yeahbaby!

A

Axe Elf

Sometimes when you really ARE the best, simple self-esteem can take on the illusion of arrogance, but in reality, it's only my great humility that makes me better than everyone else.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Last ill say about it. If you think your the best at something you shouldn't feel the need to ram it down peoples throats. Whether it is you or some of the other people here, over the years and especially now it gets to the point where it sounds like your trying to convince yourselfs more than anyone else.

A

Axe Elf

Steven Jackson was involved in 7 of the Falcons' first 10 offensive plays.

A

Axe Elf

Other thoughts:

Isaiah Pead all but removed himself from contention for the starting RB position with one lost fumble on three rush attempts; draft Daryl Richardson with confidence.

Where was Tavon Austin? The other Austin (Pettis) was listed as a starter but had no catches.

Dion Lewis looks to be the T-Rich handcuff.

Weeden, Gordon, Little and Cameron all looked to be in synch and effective.

Start any RB facing the Redskins' defense. Chris Johnson and Shonn Greene both had long TD runs.

Colin Kaepernick went 4 for 4 on his first drive, including a 12 yard pass to Vernon and two passes totaling 14 yards to Boldin. He also ran for a 6 yard gain and a first down.

I've told you to keep an eye on Julius Thomas. In the absence of Tamme and Dreessen, Thomas started, and was the Broncos leading receiver (and the recipient of the first of Manning's two completions).

As mentioned before, Christine Michael kinda kicked butt with the first team offense. Not that Lynch's job is in jeopardy this year or anything... but they may have something for the future in Michael.

Russell Wilson was as elusive as ever.

Antonio Gates din't play long, but he had 1 catch for 20 yards.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
thanks Elf, very nice synopsis.

For the record - SUDFFL started before that, at Tuffguys, which morphed into Fantasysportswire. Yes, you were the driving factor for the title, as we just wanted to shut you up. Some of us who have been here the longest enjoyed that alot. Glad to see you didn't change though, it wouldn't be fun if you had.

Miller - if you honestly think Jaquizz will get anything, anything other than to give jackson a break...you are wrong. It has been clear by all reports they will use Jackson all over, including splitting him wide out. He will get the most receptions in his career this year I am betting.

My god the kid in Seattle just ended Lynch's career in Seattle next year. Lynch is owed big money, and once he finally goes to court to face his off field stuff from last year, Seattle can jettison him and let this kid go(props for Arctic Dog for the contract info in our HAFAX discussion....).

MongerKhan

Staff member
Yeah Michael was ok at Tex am but seattle is getting his full effort. He had a issue with the coaches and didn't want to play for them full speed but he saw it as an means to an end. Seattle's going to reap the rewards from this kid for a long long time.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Miller - if you honestly think Jaquizz will get anything, anything other than to give jackson a break...you are wrong. It has been clear by all reports they will use Jackson all over, including splitting him wide out. He will get the most receptions in his career this year I am betting.
If Jackson gets used nearly as much as you and elf think he will, he will get more touches than anyone has in the history of the NFL....or he won't make it to week 4.

I am not saying that Jackson is not a STUD, or that he will not have a great year....he will. His TD numbers will jump to the highest since 2006 and he may make a run at that number (13). He will be very effective and enjoy a high ypc, likely in the mid 4's and have great yardage numbers. But here are a few things to keep in mind when you break down S Jackson this year:
  • He is 30 years old, there is NO reason for the Falcons to run him into the ground. They need him in January and know it. They will pace him and not over use him.
  • Quizz is one of the best 3rd down backs in the league and there is no reason not to get him involved in that role. This will save tread on Jackson's tires and use Quizz in the explosive role that he fits well. 3rd and 4 or more, and Quizz will be the back in the game more times than not. Jackson will be a 2 down back for the most part along with the short yardage situations.
  • This team is LOADED with offensive talent. He's not in St.Louis any longer where he has to do it all. There is Juilo, Roddy, Tony G, Quizz and now SJAX! They will all be involved and there is only 1 ball. If they needed him to be the do everything back he has been in the past, he could do it....but they don't need him to and his health all season is more important than running him into the ground.
So there is my take, disagree, that is fine, time will tell, but I don't see Jackson's role being too much different from the man he is replacing with a few more wrinkles and more effectiveness.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
And as far as elf boy....lol, just having fun. Catch and release elf hunting is fun every once in a while. Just wonder how quick he disappears come December and the fraud is revealed. As far as ER's challenge, I never run from a fun challenge, so i would always consider it, but elf doesn't sound interested. If that changes, shoot me a PM and get it organized.

MongerKhan

Staff member
Agree with miller. No reason with those weapons and the ability to get downfield so easy to run him into the ground when he's needed in the postseason.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Rivers worries me as usual. But It is the first preseason game. Anyone catch cincy or atl? Thoughts?
Watched most of it. Cincy's first team run defense was very good. Great penetration and swarmed Jackson each time he got the ball.

Matt Ryan is going to have a great year, he has soo many weapons at his disposal, this could be the best offense in the league.

If something happens top Ryan....Atlanta is screwed. There is NOTHING behind him, I look for a QB to be added either via waivers or trade. Their back-ups are aweful.

Cincy's TE's looked good in limited time. Both Gresham and Eifort started. Eifort had a nice catch take away by a hands to the face penalty upfront.

Dalton looked rusty, but did not have Green either.

Cincy's back-up QB's looked good. The battle with Johnson and Skelton will be a good one for the back-up spot.

Roster battles: Dane Sanzenbacher stole the show in the 2nd half and made a solid case for a roster spot. Same with Rex Burkhead, they will find a spot for him. With Gio Bernard and Burkhead on board, I think Scott is gone.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I will add damn glad to see Fred Davis in the game last night. I have taken him on some later flyers, and if he can produce as he has in the past he will be a steal. Helu also looked good, another late round grab....

Oh, any news on Pierce, read he left the game with a knee issue for Baltimore.

Escrow

Interesting take......wrong, but interesting none the less......

Sjax will have 1500 all purpose yards this season and 10 tds...put it on the board....barring injury...

Dude has 8 straight 1000 yard seasons, what makes you think he will slow down?

I am tired of people thinking Sjax is 2012 Michael Turner....but for drafting purposes, keep on hating :)

efactor

Coming at you
Instead of feeling intimidated by Elf, just relax and enjoy his input. Some good stuff here............ :cool:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Sjax will have 1500 all purpose yards this season and 10 tds...put it on the board....barring injury...

Dude has 8 straight 1000 yard seasons, what makes you think he will slow down?

I am tired of people thinking Sjax is 2012 Michael Turner....but for drafting purposes, keep on hating :)
yeah, exactly..