Brandon Spikes attempts to blind opponent, suspended

catman

Baseball "Expert"
The NCAA agreed that it was an appropriate punishment. It might have been nice to see him not be able to dress for at least a game though.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The NCAA agreed that it was an appropriate punishment. It might have been nice to see him not be able to dress for at least a game though.

I read that. You dont think the NCAA is going to risk Florida losing a game with Spikes suspended, which could lead to a domino effect where a much less lucrative team like Cincinnati, Boise, or TCU makes the title game now do you?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The is focking bullshit! Seriously, just horseshit! Kurt Coleman sat out an entire game for a simple late hit against Illinois....Spikes tries to gauge the kids eyes out and he gets a 1/2 of a freaking game.....this is just crap.

Remote Controller

Something that blatant oughta cause prosecution from local authorities for assault with attempt to mame! (sp??sorry) He should be removed from the game for the rest of the year by his own college and then hope the NCAA doesn't ban him for good. Worthless piece of crap!

catman

Baseball "Expert"
I'm sure the $$$ talked a lot this time. Penalties are penalties and the situation should not matter.

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
Half of a game? Really?? What, just in case you fall behind to 2-7 Vandy?

Meyer, UF, and the NCAA all need to grow a pair here and do what they're supposed to do as a coach and as administration. I'm not saying a rest-of-the-season suspension is in order (although I wouldn't mind it), but half of a game??? That's got to be the biggest cop-out for a punishment I've ever heard.

This is seriously making me wonder, is there anyone within the workings of the NCAA that aren't blatantly helping Florida get to the national championship? I may be biased because of my deep-seeded hatred for the Gators, but some things can be agreed upon as ridiculous, as Bodey was nice enough to confirm.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Now ESPN reports Spikes asked to be suspended for a full game due to a "heavy heart" over this. My ass. More along the lines of trying to spin this into not hurting his draft status.
Posted via Mobile Device

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Sorry but f*&ck Tebow and the National Championship, this fricken a-hole tried to deliberately hurt another player and needs to be dumped for the remainder of the season. :xpissed:

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"

Maybe the NCAA needs to look at this act of violence again, gotta love the good old double standard, if this was a lesser player on a lesser team there would be stiffer penalty than this slap on the wrist crap.

bodey24

Staff member
Man there are a lot more people that hate the Gators on this site then I thought. lol. I've have already stated that the punishment should be 1 or two games, but your going to have this with any big time school that is undefeated and has a chance for the NC. If this would have been one of the Texas Longhorns best players it would have been the exact same punishment. Stuff like this happens all the time but the only reason we are having this discussion is because he was dumb enough to get caught.

bodey24

Staff member
When Ryan Reynolds the Ohio State linebacker choked Jim Sorgi out of the game a few years ago, he only received a 1 game suspension. And he actually injured the guy. So as much as everyone hates the Gators, they are not the only team who gets a lesser punishment.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
That was a different time. This is the "new tough" NCAA. As stated by Miller, his guy catches a game for a late hit. Your man tries to permanently injure a player and basically has to be shamed into a day off. The punishment is extremely disproportionate.
Posted via Mobile Device

bodey24

Staff member
Different time? It was like 6 years ago. I agree the Ohio State player shouldn't have been suspended. I don't think Spikes tried to permanently injure the guy since he had the opportunity to do some damage to the guys eyes without him being able to do anything about it and the guy said he didn't touch his eyes.