Would you boycott the NFL over players protesting the National Anthem?

Due to players disrespect for our flag I am/am not willing to boycott for?

• I'm not giving up the NFL no matter what

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I see nothing wrong with what they are doing

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I'll boycott them for this week

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I'll boycott them until they stop doing this

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm done watching the NFL over this

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
What the Cowboys did last night was a simple fix for this mess. They made their point by kneeling before the anthem but they stood for the anthem as every red blooded American has been taught to do since birth.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I think you read into that... Here is the very last line of the article:

There's no doubt they'd be taken to court Fin but sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy. The reason the last line in the article says they should think about it before they do it is because there'll be a fight. It's a fight the owner would win. It'd be simple to prove the players conduct is hurting the team itself with the fans.

efactor

Coming at you
One last thing.

I am really tired of hearing how those who are critical of the players stance are unwilling to listen and refuse to consider their stances. A lot of references to being Trump supporters, conservatives and in many cases uneducated followers.

Huh. I am college educated, somewhat liberal (moderate), mostly democrat and born and raised in Northern California.

Also tired of hearing how "articulate" some of the players such as Michael Bennett and Eric Reid are. They don't seem too articulate and in the case of Bennett, he is blatantly racist. They might want to pick better faces of the protest.

Last edited:

jjtweeks

reminds me of the time the NFL players took a knee and locked arms to protest domestic violence when Ray Rice knocked his girlfriend out in the elevator and the time they locked arms in unison against animal cruelty when Vick was busted. Oh wait that didn't happen.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Or the time the NFL allowed the Cowboys to wear the patch they wanted to wear honoring the police officers killed there last year. Oh wait a minute, they did not allow that. My bad. Thanks to John E for reminding me of that time the NFL allowed freedom of speech, or didn't.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
On June 22, 1942, Congress passed a joint resolution, later amended on December 22, 1942, that encompassed what has come to be known as the U.S. Flag Code. Here are highlights.

Perhaps the most important rule involves how citizens should behave around the Stars and Stripes: The flag of the United States is the emblem of our identity as a separate nation, which the United States of America has been for more than 200 years. Therefore, citizens should stand at attention and salute when their flag is passing in a parade or being hoisted or lowered.

There's little doubt that the flag is being displayed during the National Anthem and at many stadiums across America it is being raised on the flag pole during that time. Therefore the NFL players are breaking a rule passed by Congress under America's greatest generation.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
U.S. Code › Title 36 › Subtitle I › Part A › Chapter 3 › § 301
36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem
US Code

(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

(Pub. L. 105–225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1263; Pub. L. 110–417, [div. A], title V, § 595, Oct. 14, 2008, 122 Stat. 4475.)

KillerFins

Staff member
On June 22, 1942, Congress passed a joint resolution, later amended on December 22, 1942, that encompassed what has come to be known as the U.S. Flag Code. Here are highlights.

Perhaps the most important rule involves how citizens should behave around the Stars and Stripes: The flag of the United States is the emblem of our identity as a separate nation, which the United States of America has been for more than 200 years. Therefore, citizens should stand at attention and salute when their flag is passing in a parade or being hoisted or lowered.

There's little doubt that the flag is being displayed during the National Anthem and at many stadiums across America it is being raised on the flag pole during that time. Therefore the NFL players are breaking a rule passed by Congress under America's greatest generation.

Should being the imperative word. Not a law. What kind of country would it be if people were forced to do it?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Could be Fin. All of my reserch says that it is inded a law but that it has no penalty associated with it. Has to be the only law in the country like that.

Arctic Dawgs

So what if there is no penalty. Charge them and try them anyway. Guilty with no punishment is OK. Now have them try and get a passport and get into another country as a tourist

KillerFins

Staff member
I find it ironic that people are actually advocating forcing people to do something against their own free will. Being able to express yourself is on of the fundamental rights as an American. "The right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint" punishing people for demonstrating their first amendment right is silly and just plain wrong. You may not agree with their actions, but you should be proud to live in a country where the citizens have the right to choose not to stand for the anthem.

cctekguy

Staff member
I'm all in with Fins on this sentiment.

When stupid people do stupid things it doesn't give sane people license to do stupid things.

jjtweeks

agree i find it ironic owners/coaches forced their players to stay in the locker room during anthem and others to kneel. . That they wanted a 100% participation even though some wanted to stand and some wanted to kneel but some had to succumb their freedom of choice for the pressure of "unison" of the team

efactor

Coming at you
agree i find it ironic owners/coaches forced their players to stay in the locker room during anthem and others to kneel. . That they wanted a 100% participation even though some wanted to stand and some wanted to kneel but some had to succumb their freedom of choice for the pressure of "unison" of the team

Pathetic when an ex Army Ranger has to come up with a BS story on why he was standing for the anthem instead of hiding in the locker room with the rest of the lemmings.

If you don't think there is peer pressure involved here to create false "unison", you are in severe denial.................

Rocket

Rock the Rocket
1. Players and owners and Goodell and POTUS can do whatever they want! Kneel, stand, object, etc. I don't care. Rosa Parks did it, that's her own prerogative. Kaep did it; hence the consequences. (Now he looks like a fool cuz what he was kneeling for something that has not been resolved, yet he's "standing now" cuz the dude wants a job.)

2. Everyone does whatever they want, and there will be consequences.

Consequences are:
2a. Fans like me and you will walk away (or burn memorabilia, or not buy season tickets, or worst, not watch NFL games, READ: ESPN)

2b. Ratings flop, and TV sponsors pay less for TV rights.

2c. Less pay means it hits the NFL owners pocketbook.

2d. Owners being paid less, means players will get paid less.

2e. Govt can stop subsidizing NFL (READ: Louisiana legislature is hitting the Saints hard), review anti-trust exemption, etc.

Approximately 72% of "people" CBS and Reuters polled (Sep 6-12) says Kaep and kneeling is unpatriotic, regardless of Republican or Democrat.

Now I don't think Trump needed to throw more fuel to the fire, but he did it cuz he knows the consequences are in his favor.

People will always look to country/military before football/sports. Real people die on the battlefield, for athletes to play on the football field.

Trump likes his result of bashing kneeling athletes.

People who won't like their consequences are: millionaire athletes, NFL/Goodell, billionaire owners, NFL sponsors, TV sponsors (less people watching TV means will lead to less commercial watching leading to less people buying Budweiser at supermarket).

I like that we are free to protest. It's just the wrong forum. Kaep was misguided. Goodell is an idiot who wont let Cowboys wear cop stickers on helmet, but let Kaep wear socks that show cops are pigs (very useful idiot, he really can't get it straight).

I agree with Fins, the owners are at a hard rock and just standing by their product even though their product is not helping itself. But they should have nipped this in the bud last year with Kaep.

Kaep is not being blackballed. Owners want a good product on the field and if Kaep can provide it, without harming the product, they will sign him. The fact that he will definitely harm them because fans won't like them is a main reason why the dude is unemployed (next to the other reason, which is he won't play for $ minimum).

Fans dictate whether they like your product or not. At the end of the day, the consumer is always right (cuz they pay). What a great country! Below photo shows NFL running to nowhere fast.

ddac1b5951751d506e29ba6528a05595.gif

Last edited:

Remote Controller

The whole flag deal is one thing. What pisses me off is this is aimed at Law Enforcement in total This was all personified perfectly by Kaps socks. These athletes aren't dissing the flag per se....they are dissing the Police for street cred.

Remote Controller

I'm watching strictly because I am vested in it. I really don't know if I will after this season. I really don't know if we'll make it through this season.

I guarantee you Vegas is monitoring all of this very closely. One of these star athletes is gonna refuse to play for notoriety.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Jerry Jones says the Cowboys will stand for the anthem or they won't play.

Dolphin owner gives Fins players a choice, stand for the anthem or don't be on the field.