Matt Cassel Traded to the Chiefs!

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
haha, for me as well. im sure i'll say the same mistake at some point in the next month or two.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
In my humble opinion Matt Cassel is (at best) a small upgrade over Damon Huard and Brody Croyle. The Patriots have yet again duped another team into believing they found a diamond in the rough etc. and KC bit because they were desperate. Cassel is nothing special. He is a mediocre NFL QB.

mills

In my personal opinion, he is a downgrade from Thigpin who showed plenty of upside last season... especially with what he was working. Not really sure why getting someone to replace Thigpin was such a priority but I don't think Cassel is going to be the guy. And with all of the pressure now placed on Cassel to produce and no where near the line to throw behind, I see Thigpin back in before the first half of the 2009 season

dukdown

Banned
Interesting too that now the Patriots have freed up enough caproom to go after a certain Carolina DE who would like to convert to 3-4 LB.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
And that's why the Patriots are such an amazing franchise. They take a 7th round pick, who never even played in college, throw him into the fray with some of the best WR's in the game, coach him up and turn him into basically a 1st round pick. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade.
... and don't be shocked if the Pats trade this #34 pick for a 2010 1st.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Interesting conspiracy theory.....SP leaves, then gets what on the surface is a sweet heart deal from his previous employer to land what could be a franchise QB??? Just some more smoke for the Patriot haters of the world......
What all of you "conspiracy theorists" are missing is the fact that Cassel is a franchised player. He is only locked up for 1 season and at a rediculously high salary. At the end of next season KC could be left high and dry if they can't sign Cassel to a deal.
When you are able to step back and look at the whole picture it's basicly a one year rented player for the #34 pick. I think the Pats did well considering the guy was schedualed to be an unrestricted free agent this season.

ExperiencedRookie

In my humble opinion Matt Cassel is (at best) a small upgrade over Damon Huard and Brody Croyle. The Patriots have yet again duped another team into believing they found a diamond in the rough etc. and KC bit because they were desperate. Cassel is nothing special. He is a mediocre NFL QB.

Even though I've been absent from this place for months now, I must jump back in and clear this whole mess up. As a big KC fan, I must say that I am very excited to have a young franchinse QB come to town. This deal was amazing for both sides. The Chiefs get a young guy at QB and a great leader on defense for a cheap pick. The Pats get rid of a high salary backup QB and gain and extra draft pick.. Win win.

With that aside, I want to address those of you who are Cassel hating right now. Birdman is claiming that Cassel is nothing special, and isn't much better than Huard or Croyle. This couldn't be any further from the truth.

Post season 08 Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels both leave NE. Pioli to the Chiefs and McDaniels to the Broncos. These are 2 guys who have worked extensively with Matt Cassel. These guys get into the 1st few days of free agency and they are both HOT after Cassel. McDaniels was ready to give up a proven young stud in Cutler to bring Cassel in. What does that tell you? These guys see something special in Cassel. I think they probably know more about him than any of us.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
you gotta get in her and play some Bust Da Bank. glad to see you back, find some time for old habits. :)

Runnik's Hambones

Working 2 jobs dude. Plus I just bought a PS3 with Madden 09...so my life is pretty consumed.

I had to get back on here after KC made a big move though. It was just as I suspected too. Lots of haters who needed to hear the truth.

Always hatters man. I agree with you, I think Cassel is a good QB and I wish him all the success in KC (especially since I just drafted him for my dynasty league next year).

Good to see you posting though, try and stick around a bit if you can.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Why is it when we have legit concerns we are haters?

The man had probably some of the best Wrs he could have in NE. Add to that a team that was set up to protect him and not force him to win.

Has he got that in KC? Yes he has Bowe. OL still needs help. Gonzales may or may not be there. RB? L.J. still there?

I would feel a whole lot better about Cassell had he done what he did with lesser talent, like he will this year.

dukdown

Banned
Completely and totally off-topic, but inquiring minds want to know - what's with the Buffalo in your avatar?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Completely and totally off-topic, but inquiring minds want to know - what's with the Buffalo in your avatar?
It is my new look for champion success. The Buffalo symbol over the Ohio State buckeys.

Can't get much more successful then them in big championship games.......................................................................................................................:biglaugh:

dukdown

Banned
Back on topic, in regards to Cassel being a 'one-year rental', gotta think that Pioli and Cassel's people had something on the burner in regards to a re-negotiation before Kansas City's ownership would sign off on the deal.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Back on topic, in regards to Cassel being a 'one-year rental', gotta think that Pioli and Cassel's people had something on the burner in regards to a re-negotiation before Kansas City's ownership would sign off on the deal.
I'm sure they're confident they can sign him. No way a team gives up the #34 pick otherwise.
But for those here that think the Pats "gave away" Cassel are mistaken.
His value was only for the 2009 season. He's a free agent beyond that no matter what team ended up with him. If for some reason Cassel chooses not to sign with KC? Then a rented player for the #34 pick seems like NE got a steal.