Matt Cassel Traded to the Chiefs!

Runnik's Hambones

Once the trade goes through, the Pats will immediately clear $14.65 million from their 2009 cap space. Per Schefter, the trade is occurring without a new deal, which means that the Chiefs will have Cassel under contract for only one year at $14.65 million until a new deal is reached.

Cassel and G.M. Scott Pioli likely will forge an acceptable middle ground; Pioli found Cassel in the seventh round of the 2005 draft, and Cassel returned the favor by making Pioli look like even more of a genius when Cassel finally was called upon to play.

Holy crap

SportingNews.com - ProFootballTalk

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Pretty safe to assume the Pats will be getting KC's first round pick in this deal....
#3 overall ... and more.
Combined with thier #23, that's pretty scarry for a team that just went 11-5 with their backup QB last season. Yikes.

Runnik's Hambones

Update: The Patriots will recieve KC's 2nd round pick (34th overall) for Matt Cassel. Not KC's first round pick (3rd over all).

Matt Cassel traded from New England Patriots to Kansas City Chiefs - ESPN

With this news it's safe to say that I think KC made a good move here. I didn't think they were terribly in need of a QB, but with Pioli in KC now it makes sense. A 2nd round pick for Cassel isn't nearly as big a deal as the 1st round pick we assumed they'd be giving up.

Runnik's Hambones

It looks like Mike Vrabel and Matt Cassel were apart of that deal after all (we heard rumors of the Vrabel to KC deal involving Cassel yesterday). I gotta say, the Cheifs lucked out here. Vrabel and Cassel for a 2nd rounder. Seriously, well done KC. Must admit though, I think this had much more to do with Pioli's relationship with the Patriot's organization. That must have had a hand in this deal.

Look here at the excellent words Belichick had for the two players he lost today:
"When Mike arrived in 2001, we knew we were adding a solid outside linebacker,” Belichick said. “But where Mike took it from there exceeded our highest hopes. Mike Vrabel epitomizes everything a coach could seek in a professional football player: toughness, intelligence, playmaking, leadership, versatility, and consistency at the highest level. Behind the scenes, Mike's wit and personality is one of the things we have all enjoyed about coming to work every day.

"The toughest aspect of my job is the day I stop coaching people like Mike, who did everything in his power to contribute to team success. Of all the players I have coached in my career, there is nobody I enjoyed working with more than Mike In the same way people recognize guys like Troy Brown, we appreciate and thank Mike Vrabel. He is one of the very special Patriots champions."

Belichick also praised Cassel: "It is very easy to root for guys like Matt Cassel, who do everything the right way and flourish as a result. As much as we would have loved to continue working with Matt, we wish him nothing but the best as he takes this next step forward in his career."

Coachnorm

It looks like Mike Vrabel and Matt Cassel were apart of that deal after all (we heard rumors of the Vrabel to KC deal involving Cassel yesterday). I gotta say, the Cheifs lucked out here. Vrabel and Cassel for a 2nd rounder. Seriously, well done KC. Must admit though, I think this had much more to do with Pioli's relationship with the Patriot's organization. That must have had a hand in this deal.

Look here at the excellent words Belichick had for the two players he lost today:

That was a rumor by The Ram. :grin:

Nice move by KC here. I wonder what the Pats will do now that they have an additional 14 million in cap space?

Runnik's Hambones

While I still think Aaron Curry is the best option for the Cheifs, do you think they'd take a chance at Crabtree now that Cassel is in town? That would get them a LB (Vrabel), QB (Cassel) and a WR (Crabtree), all by the 3rd overall pick. Also, do you still think that Gonzo wants out? And if so, the Cheifs could get a 2nd round pick again dealing him out somewhere. Perhaps a similar 3rd and 5th like Winslow to the Bucs? Just food for thought.

A lot of the Cassel beat down has been that he had Randy Moss. Crabtree is a big threat, and with Dwayne Bowe there too....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay things I see from this deal....

1) Chiefs weren't sold on Thigpen...wonder if they trade him for picks back.
2) Brady must be okay after all, as NE I doubt would deal Cassell otherwise.
3) I do think KC goes Curry now in draft.
4) I wonder if adding Cassell is enough for Gonzales to want to stay?

I also wonder if they don't try to deal L.J. as well for more picks.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Okay things I see from this deal....

1) Chiefs weren't sold on Thigpen...wonder if they trade him for picks back.
2) Brady must be okay after all, as NE I doubt would deal Cassell otherwise.
3) I do think KC goes Curry now in draft.
4) I wonder if adding Cassell is enough for Gonzales to want to stay?

I also wonder if they don't try to deal L.J. as well for more picks.

Ok, Daddy will answer your questions for you:

1) They won't. If anyone knows the value of a good backup QB, its Pioli
2) Yeah, he is fine. Then again, an 80% Brady is better than a 100% lots of other things
3) I concur. Good pick to build on
4) I think so. They are likely an 8 win team right now, and that will hunt in that division

And yes, they will sell LJ if at all possible.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
OK, a 2nd round pick, this makes sense as the Patriots aren't ones to pay top money for a #3 rookie draft pick. And high second round is almost as good as a low 1st round.
(I guess this meens the Lions are going with Culpepper instead of trading one of their 1st rd picks for Cassell ... as that would have been a better deal for the Pats)

OK, a 2nd round pick, this makes sense as the Patriots aren't ones to pay top money for a #3 rookie draft pick. And high second round is almost as good as a low 1st round.
I haven't been listening to the radio or watching much tv lately, but if this question hasn't already been asked, it should: How badly hurt was Tom Brady? And how is it that Cassell goes for a second round pick when multiple teams would have given much much more?

My vote is on the side of insider trading.

shhhh: someone said they heard this is hush money

Last edited by a moderator:

Runnik's Hambones

I haven't been listening to the radio or watching much tv lately, but if this question hasn't already been asked, it should: How badly hurt was Tom Brady? And how is it that Cassell goes for a second round pick when multiple teams would have given much much more?

My vote is on the side of insider trading.

shhhh: someone said they heard this is hush money

Oh yeah, without a doubt, MJ. I actually said something similar in a post earlier. I think this deal was heavily leaning upon the relationship between Scott Pioli and the Patriots organization.

NOTE: Don't burn bridges!