Flacco gets his deal

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Its a lot of $$ but Flacco does get it done in the Playoffs when it counts the most.

Over the last 3 post seasons Flacco has a compiled top money stats.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
There is a reason that teams rarely repeat championships in the NFL.

This is one of the reasons.

You have to pay BIG to keep certain players and the rest are lured away to bigger paydays. Baltimore will be in the cellar within 3 years and you'll be SCREAMING to get rid of Flacco and his salary.

Flacco,Rice/Pierce,Torrey Smith,Pitta,Yanda and Osmele = good young core on offense. This team will not see the basement in 3 years. If not because of their talent then definitely because of their competition in the AFC North...

Their defense shut down Manning and Brady both on the road. While there will be some changes , I know that one of the best F.O. in football will get the job done.

Give me a QB that has a 70 rating in the regular season but wins in the playoffs over a QB that has a 90 rating and exits early from the playoffs

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
I'd be concerned much more over an aging defense who just lost their soul to retirement than i would be on offense. Flacco is very good but getting elite money. Unless he can now be the same QB we saw over a 4 game window for 16-20....I don't see him living up to this deal. Joe is great at times but awful at others. Now with limited $ to fix the D, he will need to be elite at all times.

the difference between earlier weeks and the last few weeks of the season, playoffs included, was that Jim Caldwell took over for Cam. With Cam gone Joe now has control and we saw the difference in that. Guess what, Cam is not coming back and Caldwell is....

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I understand that you're a Raven fan Mutts but do you believe, for even a moment, that Flacco is the best QB in the league? Secondly do you think he deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL? If you do, well those rose colored glasses are working just fine.

efactor

Coming at you
Well, he led his team to the title, which is the ultimate goal, so while I think they overpaid and could have negotiated a better business deal for the team, hard for me to say he didn't deserve it. As Mutts pointed out, he played great after the OC change, so maybe the Ravens expect him to take the next step and to grow into a truly elite QB. Seems like he has been around forever, but still a young man for the position.

Plus, the focked up way the NFL allows for salary cap manipulation, sounds like it's not a global killer for the next few years and then they can restructure. At least that's how I read into it, but I admit, I take little time to understand this part of team structure.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
the difference between earlier weeks and the last few weeks of the season, playoffs included, was that Jim Caldwell took over for Cam. With Cam gone Joe now has control and we saw the difference in that. Guess what, Cam is not coming back and Caldwell is....
ok, I'll give you that, though still need to see it over a longer period before i call him elite. there are quite a few names i am going to name to lead my franchise over joe......and that should be the case for 20 mil per yr.

All this does not answer the question about their defense......that is why this team win again for a while. but they are going to the basement either.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
He is 28 yrs old and signed a 6 yr contract. Can you make a list of players that you would sign to a 6yr deal right now? Rodgers would be #1 I would think......

Suggs,Ngata,Pollard,Graham,Upshaw,Webb and J Smith on defense plus they are going to try and get Ellerbe/Reed back. Defense will not be a problem.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Defense was a wreck last year before Ray gave them an emotional boost....

Hmmmm, 6 yr deal before Flacco:
Rodgers
Roethlisburger (very close)
Brady (structure to dump after 4, but sure I'd sign him to 6)
Luck
Eli Manning
Stafford (not as proven, but far more talented imo)
Brees
Ryan (see Stafford)

There are a handful of young qb's I would have to think long and hard about as well, but will leave off as they have too much to prove.

Let's not forget, if Denver does not blow a basic coverage with the game locked up, we would not be having this conversation and he would have been signed for about 15 mil a yr.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Flacco's arm strength was a huge key in that play.....

Ben has 2 rings thats a plus,but he is always hurt....Flacco hasn't missed a snap due to injury...

Brady has 3 rings, hasn't won anything since spygate

Luck hasn't done anything to deserve 20 million

Eli has 2 rings

Stafford can't win

Brees has 1 ring

Ryan is all hype, has 1 playoff win(this year) and has R White,J Jones and Tony G to throw to....

According to websites Rodgers,Stafford and Ryan will all top this deal...

Defense was number 1 in red zone scoring

The Ravens should of signed him last year for 17 million. I am not sure why everyone thinks this will kill them. The cap hit isn't going to be huge the first few years of the deal...

Last edited:

RLLD

The truly scary thing is that Flacco has won a good # of games, has been a playoff beast, and now has a SB win as well, and is really only just starting to hit his stride.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Suggs,Ngata,Pollard,Graham,Upshaw,Webb and J Smith on defense plus they are going to try and get Ellerbe/Reed back. Defense will not be a problem.

Hmmmm, pollard, elerbee and reed all gone......care to revisit? The defense is going to be a mess!

Fire

in the hole
Hmmmm, pollard, elerbee and reed all gone......care to revisit? The defense is going to be a mess!

Dumerville, Huff, Canty, Spears, plus all the re-signs. Yes, let's revisit your statement about this defense.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
It's still not a great unit IMO. Huff is a downgrade, Dummerville will be a great signing. Cantu and spears fill gaps, but are not as good as those who the replace. Sorry, defense is still not as good as last year, and until the playoffs, this was not a good unit.

efactor

Coming at you
It's still not a great unit IMO. Huff is a downgrade, Dummerville will be a great signing. Cantu and spears fill gaps, but are not as good as those who the replace. Sorry, defense is still not as good as last year, and until the playoffs, this was not a good unit.

It's getting closer and Ozzie is a pretty good drafter, so it's looking much better than it did. I don't see Huff as a downgrade at this point from pure ability. Playing out of position in Oakland and no one can dispute that Reed isn't nearly the player that he was.

That said, the leadership issue is hard to gauge. I go back to when SF decided to let Ronnie Lott move on. He had lost much of his skill, but it was still a huge mistake from the "coach on the field" standpoint. They lost swagger and identity, so you could see the same situation in Baltimore.

Fire

in the hole
"Not a great unit" - Who said they were?

"Not as good as last year" - Same question, who said they were?

Both statements are still a far cry from "This defense is going to be a mess!"

Just take your foot out of your mouth and move along.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
"Not a great unit" - Who said they were?

"Not as good as last year" - Same question, who said they were?

Both statements are still a far cry from "This defense is going to be a mess!"

Just take your foot out of your mouth and move along.
Looks like you can move a long....its still a mess. I stand by it. Again, this was not a good unit last year until they rallied behind Lewis in the playoffs. And I don't see them able to even be that good this year.....so you take a unit with major issues and if they are not even as good as them....yep, mess works for me. They lost their heart in Lewis and their soul in reed....along with a lot of other skilled parts. You don't replace what they lost with free agents and think it will all just gel....sorry, its still a mess.

Did they recover better than it was looking, sure, they got very lucky with the Denver situation.....but that along doesn't solve this.

So have your opinion, but don't tell me what mine should be......