Flacco gets his deal

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
WOW! Joe's new deal is for six years and $120.6 million.
The $20.1 million annual average over six years makes Flacco the highest-paid player in NFL history. Wow!!

Arctic Dawgs

and (from espn)

Starter Aaron Rodgers' 2013 compensation of $9.75 million is well below market value and will lead to contract talks, but there is every expectation that he will play his entire career in Green Bay

cctekguy

Staff member
THIS is where Alex Smith should have ended up.

Baltimore could have saved themselves millions and still had a competent field general.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
For Flacco to have become the highest paid player in history is hard to believe. Now we can look for legitimate stud QB's to take note and raise the bar ever higher leaving less crumbs from the cap for the guys that get it done. It may be time to do something about QB salaries killing the cap. Maybe only count half of their salary against the cap. I don't know but it sucks for the other players on the teams with these over paid signal callers taking up 12-13% of the cap $$.

efactor

Coming at you
Wow. Shows the power of winning a ring.............

The Ravens were in kind of a bind from a PR standpoint. If they got outbid and he went somewhere else, all hell would have broken loose. But, I agree, not money well spent. He is a very good QB, but nowhere near elite. But rings rule I guess...........

cctekguy

Staff member
Mud is right about the league wide effects, not to mention the effect on his team mates.

It's hard to block for a guy making 15 times what you make.

deuce4321

Driller
Bad business decision but forced due to team success last season. Too bad because Baltimore isn't going to make the playoffs for the length of this contract.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Ya know Flacco took a big chance last year. He turned down a pretty good paycheck to play out his contract. You could say that he bet on himself. While the numbers gall me to no end I gotta kind of admire his spunk here.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
This was a huge mistake by baltimore. They blinked first. Can't believe he rates a contract like this...:shakeshead:

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
All he does is win.....

He carried this team this year and was one Lee Evans dropped TD pass from going to back to back Superbowls. Since getting rid of that control freak Cameron, Joe has thrown for 15 TD and 1 INT. This was a good decision and I am hearing rumors that it is a cap friendly deal, whatever that is....

Sorry fellas but the Ravens are going to be a force for a long time...

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
All he does is win.....

He carried this team this year and was one Lee Evans dropped TD pass from going to back to back Superbowls. Since getting rid of that control freak Cameron, Joe has thrown for 15 TD and 1 INT. This was a good decision and I am hearing rumors that it is a cap friendly deal, whatever that is....

Sorry fellas but the Ravens are going to be a force for a long time...
First let me say there are much worse Qbs in the league.
Second, this draft isn't very strong in Qbs

but a 6 year deal at this price is too much IMO. Granted he has been very good at times, maybe he becomes the anti-Romo. No idea. But I have not seen anything that rates him being paid like the best Qb out there.

I also see this as a HUGE issue for GB and Atlanta with Rodgers and Ryan.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
You're going to lose Rice because of this eventually and you'll never get and retain an elite WR either. However if the fans in Baltimore are cool with over paying your QB by a mile it's okay with me.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Yeah we love our Super Bowl MVP here in Baltimore. Oh and we haven't had an elite WR here,ever. Joe doesn't need one,,

Not sure about the Rice comment. Here is is contract details:

The deal includes the following base salaries of $2 million in 2012 ($5 million salary-cap figure), $1 million in 2013 ($5.75 million salary-cap figure), $4 million in 2014 ($8.75 million salary-cap figure), $3 million in 2015 ($7.75 million salary-cap figure) and $3 million in 2016 ($7.75 million salary-cap figure).

He got 25 million in the first 2 years. With those numbers he isn't going anywhere.

cctekguy

Staff member
There is a reason that teams rarely repeat championships in the NFL.

This is one of the reasons.

You have to pay BIG to keep certain players and the rest are lured away to bigger paydays. Baltimore will be in the cellar within 3 years and you'll be SCREAMING to get rid of Flacco and his salary.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'd be concerned much more over an aging defense who just lost their soul to retirement than i would be on offense. Flacco is very good but getting elite money. Unless he can now be the same QB we saw over a 4 game window for 16-20....I don't see him living up to this deal. Joe is great at times but awful at others. Now with limited $ to fix the D, he will need to be elite at all times.