Will Detroit ever forgive Matt Millen

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I think Ford deserves the heat. He brought in Millen, and once everyone knew he was in over his head, Ford kept him in the position. But I guess old Bill doesn't show up on the TV.

Runnik's Hambones

OMG that's great! It's funny too because my friend Chris Tutt was like "Every time Millen talks, we should all plug our ears and yell, 'la la la la...' because he's a freaking idiot!"

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I agree with Orgazmo to a point. Ford deserves as much blame as Millen, but that does not excuse Millen either. You would think at some point the man MIGHT have learned SOMETHING.

Mike

Administrator
I don't put ANY of this on Millen. He was given a very important job, complete with huge money, and brought ZERO experience to the table. The team knew it going in.

When it was clear that he couldn't do the job, they continued to keep him on board and pay him insane money.

If management is paying me to do a job that I am not doing well, I am going to continue to keep doing that job to the best of my ability until they decide I am simply not the person for it. I blame the Ford family for this, all of this.

Jetdoc

If management is paying me to do a job that I am not doing well, I am going to continue to keep doing that job to the best of my ability until they decide I am simply not the person for it.

There is a large difference between being an executive and being an employee.

An executive's job is to put the company before his own needs.

An employee has the view you mentioned above.

A poor executive is one in which that line blurs. That's why you see good CEO's taking $1 in salary, and bad ones taking billions of dollars of bonuses when their companies are diving into the crapper.

Mike

Administrator
Those decisions to take $1 in salary come as a result of big board discussions as well. And it is very very rare you will ever see it happen. I know I wouldn't do it. If I am not doing my job properly, somebody above me needs to deal with it and send me on my way.

Football and normal business are two entirely different things. These football teams, no matter how bad they suck, still have money coming in. Maybe not as much this year due to economic times, but when they suck, it doesn't take away from their portion of the revenue sharing.

31 other team owners would have fired this guy about 45 years ago :)