What The Dolphins Should Do This Offseason

DearbornDolfan

1) Cut Joey Porter, Gibril Wilson, and Reggie Torbor. They have underperformed their contracts and the money is needed elsewhere.

2) Sign Karlos Dansby and Antrelle Rolle. Ask them what guaranteed money they want and cut them a check for that amount as a signing bonus, if that's what it takes to make sure they don't leave Miami without a contract.

3) If at all possible, retain Jason Taylor and Jason Ferguson for another season.

4) If at all possible, trade Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo for third round picks. The Fins are already overstocked on receivers and as none of them are #1 material, they're going to have to draft another one.

5) The first day of the draft is absolutely crucial and the Fins need to address two positions that are MUST HAVES: SOLB and WR. If Dez Bryant is available at #12, take him and Jerry Hughes in the second. If he's not, take Brandon Graham at #12 and Demaryius Thomas in the second. Either way, both positions will have future stars manning them.

6) Use the three third rounders on short term projects or immediate impact players (not necessarily starters). Assuming Ginn is sent to Oakland and Camarillo to Baltimore, here's what I like for the third round; Myron Rolle (S, FSU) at 3.05, Cam Thomas (NT, NCSU) at 3.09, and a pass-catching TE if one is available.

efactor

Coming at you
Looks good on paper. However, I don't think they get a third rounder for Ginn (maybe they could but 4th is more like it) and definitely not for Camarillo, especially from the Ravens (too smart and he wouldn't really be an upgrade). Depending on how the draft goes, I could see my Niners being interested in Ginn at the right price. He could fill their KR needs and be a #3 or 4 receiver in the slot.

I think there is a pretty good shot that Bryant will be there if he gets by Cleveland at 7. A Bryant/Hughes combo would be a great start of the draft for the Fish..........

DearbornDolfan

Dude, we're talking about the Raiders here. A 3rd for a WR that fast and they get a good kick returner instead of the guy they cut and ended up re-signing a month later.

As for the Ravens, who do they have at receiver? They just signed Dante Stallworth and probably aren't expecting Mason or Clayton back, but even if they do get one of them back they still need a good slot receiver. Keep in mind Camarillo is a Cam Cameron project and I can't believe they wouldn't jump at the chance to an immediate contributor that cheap. Plus, it's hard not to be an upgrade from absolutely squat.

efactor

Coming at you
Dude, we're talking about the Raiders here. A 3rd for a WR that fast and they get a good kick returner instead of the guy they cut and ended up re-signing a month later.

As for the Ravens, who do they have at receiver? They just signed Dante Stallworth and probably aren't expecting Mason or Clayton back, but even if they do get one of them back they still need a good slot receiver. Keep in mind Camarillo is a Cam Cameron project and I can't believe they wouldn't jump at the chance to an immediate contributor that cheap. Plus, it's hard not to be an upgrade from absolutely squat.

Good point on the Raiders. Maybe even a 2nd. Ginn is fast.

I think Mason comes back. Still can play and hard to walk away from that much money when you think about the alternative. Time to cut bait on Clayton. He has had his chance and just isn't very good. I still don't think the Ravens would give a 3rd for Camarillo, especially if they trade for a big time WR (Boldin/Marshall) or spend an early pick on one, but we'll see........

The more I think about it, I like Ginn to SF. Their KR game sucks total DD and if they can get him for a 4th, it would be a good move. I think a 3 is too much as they need help on the OL even if they spend a first rounder on an OT.

DearbornDolfan

Oh, no doubt they wouldn't trade for two receivers in a single draft. But I can see the Ravens trading for a slot guy in Camarillo and drafting somebody like Eric Decker who is big and has speed.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I'd like to see them use one of the 3rd rounders on a RB to groom behind Williams/Brown. Gerhart, Blount, and maybe someone like Ben Tate out of Auburn are realistic in that area. D.J. Williams (Arkansas) is one of the perennially underrated TE's in this draft. 2-time All SEC, and he's good at blocking and receiving and will probably be around in the 4th.

DearbornDolfan

My impression has been that Blount probably won't be drafted before the 4th round because of his personal issues. I like the kid, and I wouldn't argue with the last 3rd rounder being spent on him, but I would prefer other issues being addressed with that pick if the Fins think they can get away with it.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
2) Sign Karlos Dansby and Antrelle Rolle. Ask them what guaranteed money they want and cut them a check for that amount as a signing bonus, if that's what it takes to make sure they don't leave Miami without a contract.

Rolle is in negotiations with the Cards. Likely staying put.

DearbornDolfan

Yeah, so I've heard, but Rolle wants big money and the Cards have indicated to Dansby they aren't going to pursue re-signing him if there's a bidding war for his services. If Rolle doesn't sign by the 5th, all the Fins have to do is offer more cash than the Cards are willing to shell out.

DearbornDolfan

Also, there are whispers that the Fins and Lions are in negotiations for some manner of trade. Normally I don't think anything of such threads, but the OP is a guy who seems to have genuine connects to the Fins organization and has sniffed out other activity before the press does it. He doesn't really have any details at the moment, but given the shadowy nature of his comments I can only guess that some sort of blockbuster trade is a possibility.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Love Wes' idea for a RB to groom. Blount would make a good fit, but you'd like him to stop hitting ppl.

You can go to class, make your grades, work hard in the weight room, post 1,000 yard seasons, make all-conference teams, spur preseason heisman discussion..
But ya go and blindside ONE pasty white kid on national TV....

:thud:

DearbornDolfan

Yesterday there was a post on the Cards' official blog that Rolle is expected to be cut next week because the Cards don't want to pay him his $4 million roster bonus. Makes me wonder if the Cards understand they can't win by being cheap, especially when there isn't a cap.

Coachnorm

The Cardinals will probably release Rolle soon, the team's official site reports. Arizona doesn't want to pay Rolle's $4 million roster bonus that is due next week, and Rolle is enticed by the possibility of becoming a free agent this offseason. Even if he hits the open market, the Cardinals still hope to ink Rolle to a long-term deal, but other suitors such as the Dolphins and Giants could snatch him away.

DearbornDolfan

Honestly, with Atogwe's tender being first right of refusal with no draft picks involved, I'd rather the Fins sign him to Wilson money. I'm under the impression that poison pills aren't allowed, but if they then there's a way right there to insure that the Rams don't match.